R200 differential questions

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
wyoung369
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

Okay. So this is where I'm at. I'm in the middle of a vh45 swap and I want to do the entire rear end assembly right the first time. Now, I first planned on using 350z axles with the maverick-motorsports adapters. But they have since discontinued them and replaced them with offset bushings that don't work for the s13 because of the rear diff mount being different. So what I have come to is two possible scenarios. Both of which have questions I don't have the answers to. Question 1 being could the rear cover of the s13s diff be used on a 350z diff to retain the stock rear mount? My second thought was that the q45 diff has the same 5 bolt axle flanges as the 350z but is known to be more of a bolt in affair (aside from the axles needed for the q45 diff which is why I eliminated it because I already have my 5 lug hubs and don't want a new set if I can avoid it.) so, would the 350z axles work with the q45 diff? And what about the 350z carrier? I ask because I would prefer to run a welded diff over a vlsd until I can install a proper lsd like a quaife

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why aren't you using the 240sx sub-frame, differential and axles? It seems the least complicated to me.

wyoung369

Because the axles will break and the final drive ratio of the 350z would be beneficial to turbo spool and my ability to utilize first gear on the street when I make more power down the road

wyoung369

Also I have since found out the 350z case is too wide for the s13 cover. So I'm left with can I get the 350z carrier into a q45 case

centralcoaster33

Oh, well the first issue can be solved with upgraded axles. Final drive could be revised with a gear set swap, but I'm not sure what the available options are and if they benefit the turbo setup. I suppose they would since there were plenty of turbo'd Silvias and such. And the internals can be open, helical or LSD. So the only thing that is really left untouched is the case, which fits nicely in the 240sx sub-frame. Can't you just use the case? Is the 350z diff an R200 also? Anyway, if you need some measurements from the 240 side of things, I have a diff, case and internals laying around, so I could help with numbers to compare to your, um, whatever you end up getting or having.

wyoung369

The 350z and q45 are both r200 diffs. I'm trying to stick with oem axles due to their ease of replacement if something breaks. Since I won't have the cash for 1000hp ready axles for quite some time, it's not if I break them but when. I'm not going for max power right out of the gate but, I'll get there at some point. The 350z diff is perfect if I can just get it to work. Optimal final drive, beefy as hell axles, and a built in speed sensor to run to my ecu. I'm currently looking into the possibility of making a custom cover

centralcoaster33

Well, I think the upgraded axles from The Driveshaft Shop are bolt in and easily acquired, making them easy to replace if something breaks, but they do cost some $$. Okay, so you get the 350Z diff into a 240sx subframe with your custom cover. And now you can bolt up those beefier Z axles to the 350z diff. What about the wheel hubs? I mean, the wheel end of these beefier 350z axles. Are 350z axles the same length as the 240sx axles? And are the bearings at the hubs going to fit the axles? That might be worth verifying. Has that been done? FYI - Output shafts for the R200 come in a variety of bolt patterns and can be swapped into/ out of a case... like 5 and 6 bolt patterns.

broken40s
Car: 92/95 240sx, 96 4runner

Use the pre '97 q45 diff with 350z axles. It's got the thickest output shafts, easiest, it bolts right in, you can use stock 240 hubs, gear ratio is acutally not bad for a turbo car(3.54 I think, same as a manual z33), and axle replacements are cheap and will hold at least 750hp.

The downside, I don't think you'll be able to find a real lsd for it. Maybe the skyline gtst uses the same spline output shaft as the q45 (30 iirc), so id look in that direction.

Good luck, man!

Cadaverdog
Car: 1996 Nissan 240SX

My nephew has a 96 240SX with the LSD differential like the early Infiniti J30's and can't find axles for it. I've searched myself and only found the high dollar ones for high horsepower cars. Any suggestions. We live near Lake Charles Louisiana.

centralcoaster33

Hi Cadaverdog, welcome to NICO Club! I see you're new and will guess you searched a bit and thought maybe posting here in this r200 thread would be good. But this isn't the generic r200 diff thread, this is for Wyoung369, his S13 with his engine and differential swap, none of which match your nephew's car. This is known as hijacking.

Anyway, you search, you want to help your nephew, you joined, you're from LA and I was born in Fort Polk, so you're certainly welcome here (so is your nephew by the way, get him to join)! I suggest you start your own thread. Put it in the 240sx tech section. Title it something useful like J30 diff into S14 axle problems. In there, tell us what we need to know, what year make and model, the bolt patterns, ABS or not, VLSD, whatever else you think of, for both the car and for the differential he has.

You could introduce yourself in that thread or say hi in the general discussion area. You are not automatically subscribed to a thread unless you change your user settings so you won't get emails about responses without asking for them first.

Cadaverdog
Car: 1996 Nissan 240SX

Thank you. I changed my settings. Hopefully I did it right.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”