Qxxx4's Blue LED Security light

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

VIDEO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM1lbTmYvXs enjoy the sound of the leak in my muffler!

Just figured the red was kind of dull so i decided to switch it up with a brighter, bluer LED. Very simple.

Theres also a pic of what my white LED corner looks like compared to regular halogen. It looks blue but in real life its white. Im considering clearing the corners like fueler, but i just am not sure if I want to take that risk!

As far as the LED, what do you guys think....i primarily use my halogen headlamps, but these look great when the HID's are on....your opinions?

btw i got the fog light mod working, just gotta grab a new relay haha definately glad I got that one going.

OH just so you know, NO the security light is not on when your driving, or else this mod would be very annoying while driving. Then again, my deck is so bright that it makes faces and clothing glow in the car, Maybe i should have wired that "illumination" wire so that the dimmer would workthe untouched panel

i then drilled a hole into the front so i can have the led stick out a bit. Its a very snug fit. Notice the piece furthest to the left, that clips behind the panel, then into another clip with the vehicles wiringquick photo of the soldering, this led was actually part of my dashboard blue led mod, i wasnt happy with how the blue showed through the dash, these leds need a clear view for sure, it just wasnt bright enough. SO i decided to use the bulb #74 housing and am going to attempt to use White LED's for the dash lights, maybe it will be a more vivid display as thats what im going for.

finished

heres the corners for comparison, i think im going back to halogen

halogen w/HID

LED w/HID

side-by-side

check out my new skates

Modified by Qxxx4 at 2:30 AM 6/7/2009

Modified by Qxxx4 at 10:10 AM 6/7/2009
Modified by Qxxx4 at 10:53 AM 6/7/2009

02infinity
Car: 02 Infinity Q 2" OME lift Snorkel Roof Rack Procomp MT Locked

I really like that led mod on the corners you said they are white but they look almost the same as the HID. What bulb size/type is that? The blue security light is super bright that damn thing lights up your interior giving your intruder a clean look inside. I always say if you have it hide it stereo/ipod/gps/or any other gadgets interior anyway.

Let me know how that goes w/taking that yellow reflector out and how u did it!

Qxxx4

thanks for your comments, the bulbs are 168 single LED white, off of ebay, they do almost match my HID's.

As for the interior, the steering wheel obstructs most of the light, the reflection shines the door trim and some of the seat. If the security light is there then Nissan did intend a purpose for it, so why not make it more powerful lol I usually lock my glovebox...got a pair of ray bans in there and my ipod. If someone really wanted to get in there i bet they could but most car thieves around here go for change, smokes, and out in the open things. If they wanted my subs or deck, then im pretty helpless if I dont hear the alarm.

The light will give a security presense since most novelty security lights are in the windshield, the placement of this light is a little more hidden but in clear view when their looking in through the drivers side...i just love blue LED's do i really have to justify it lol

W O T
Car: 2001 Infiniti Qx4

Ya I like the passenger side better

Good work on the security light, but it def will attract more unwanted attention, not that your rims already wouldnt though. You live in a nice area?

ps- most thieves pick passenger winwow to smash so they can climb through easier, no wheel in the way of there criminal legs

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

nice security light mod.
W O T wrote:ps- most thieves pick passenger winwow to smash so they can climb through easier, no wheel in the way of there criminal legs
the pass side window comment is true, but i think its because when people park against the curb, the pass side is the obscure side while the driver side is way too obvious to break into

Qxxx4

i do live in a good area, but i park at a commuter lot for the 401 some nights when i work the afternoon shift, so im pretty worried but there isnt much i can do, ill be all the way in waterloo. When i bring my car to work (me and a guy switch every week) theres really good security where I work and cameras monitoring.

My house is a good area, i park like right in front of my window and have a good view of my car, my dads truck got broken into twice last year...first time he didnt lock his doors, the second time they worked the lock somehow, all they took was change and a pocketknife, and at the same time dropped a better pocket knife. They were really dumb clearly because he has a headrest dvd player that has a zipper cover, but the remote was in plain view.....they were truly idiots.

I guess theft is always going to be an issue, and you can never really stop it. My wheels have high quality wheel locks and The lock is hidden in a great spot. My deck looks stock so really the biggest thing they could take is my subs/amp which only cost me $140 anyways,

at the end of the day, theyll burn in hell, so take what you want just dont hurt me LOL

W O T

fueler wrote: the pass side window comment is true, but i think its because when people park against the curb, the pass side is the obscure side while the driver side is way too obvious to break into
Well I aint no thief so I assumed it was because of the wheel lol

You do know they can steal wheels even with wheel locks though right? There are universal tools out there that conform to the shape, but those are the more organized losers, that would be going after the 22+ and spinners and what have you. My local rim place got hit a while ago and 5 cars (including a hummer with 30's) got hit in there lot. All had locks, was a pro job they figure. Was a scary sight

And to hell if I would be parking a car with 20's in a carpool lot anywhere along this stretch of the the 401, especially with a small system and (i believe) unremovable faceplate.

Might wanna spend a little cash on an alarm that makes some noise

volp
Car: 99 Infiniti QX4

Did you have to use a resistor? and what kind of led did you use?

Qxxx4

lol i was tampering with the security LED and unlocked the car from the inside and my horn went off, i dont think anything louder would do anything for me really. even a 2way only has a range of a few hundred feet, Ill be 80kms away. Hey its 2 weeks a month that my car will be parked until 1am in the lot, the rest of the time it will be in the RIM parking lot which is monitored, or i will be on day shift. I really think that if my wheels get taken or they steal my system, i wont replace it. Ill just say F*** them and not bother with it anymore. Im enjoying it all now and if the day comes that i get robbed, those guys will get their payback eventually.

my friend actually found his subs on kijiji, he had a custom box so he knew it was his. he went to the guys place to "look at them" that night he broke into his garage and stole them back.

i would have set fire to the place as well but i guess my friend was happy that he got his subs back.

i got a good feeling the cops dont do s*** were just punks to them anyways so really theft is just something we need to deal with.

Also, yes, i used a resistor, tested a couple. after realizing how bright it was i decided to up the resistance to lower the brightness a touch and also put the security panel on the lower piece and the empty panel on top.

Qxxx4

lol i was tampering with the security LED and unlocked the car from the inside and my horn went off, i dont think anything louder would do anything for me really. even a 2way only has a range of a few hundred feet, Ill be 80kms away. Hey its 1 week a month that my car will be parked until 1am in the lot, and its only until august the rest of the time it will be in the RIM parking lot which is monitored, or i will be on day shift. I really think that if my wheels get taken or they steal my system, i wont replace it. Ill just say F*** them and not bother with it anymore. Im enjoying it all now and if the day comes that i get robbed, those guys will get their payback eventually.

my friend actually found his subs on kijiji, he had a custom box so he knew it was his. he went to the guys place to "look at them" that night he broke into his garage and stole them back.

i would have set fire to the place as well but i guess my friend was happy that he got his subs back.

i got a good feeling the cops dont do s*** were just punks to them anyways so really theft is just something we need to deal with.

if i could find a train horn for cheap id get that and wire it to the alarm...that would be sweet.

Also, yes, i used a resistor, tested a couple. after realizing how bright it was i decided to up the resistance to lower the brightness a touch and also put the security panel on the lower piece and the empty panel on top.

02infinity
Car: 02 Infinity Q 2" OME lift Snorkel Roof Rack Procomp MT Locked

Thats funny stuff!! it never ceases to amaze me what you will find on the internet. But if it was me I would have went straped hijack the gear and take him up to the mountains duck tape em to a tree and put peanut butter on him and leave his theivin a** there.

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

Nice mod Brian! Why do you have to keep giving me ideas? You're wasting my money!

Billy

W O T

I actually blew my corner bulb last night, and I noticed it was a 168 aswell for the 01+ corners to. Could you post the link to the led auction you won for the 168? I seem to have bad luck finding shotty sellers on ebay when it comes to led's

I gotta pick up some brighter H3 fogs to

Qxxx4

i got the 168 LED's over a year ago so i dont remember the seller. It was definately from honk kong though. i hear you on the shotty sellers, the one really good seller ive dealt with is Asiaengineer really good deals on LED's and resistors and high quality too

NickD85

Qxxx, I really want to do something like that with my corner lights... especially with the clear corners its very noticeable that the halogens don't match the HIDs well at all.

Qxxx4

go for it! i had no lights in the corners for a while but realized its unsafe so i threw some back in. I primarily drive with my halogens though to not blind other drivers so Im going to switch the corner bulbs back to halogen

Holidazed
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE

nice LED mod! looks like a cool idea but I don’t have the electrical skills to wire up something like that and wouldn’t want to break something in the process.

While you guys are on the topic of car thefts and stuff, thought I'd share a funny story, i know you guys will get a laugh out of this:

When I bought my truck in January of this year I replaced the old rusty rear wiper blade with a new one from Nissan within the first week. cost me $8. anyways yesterday I was looking at my back wiper and realized that I have a rusty old black wiper. Someone stole my new one and swapped it with an old used one! bastards...In a way though I'm impressed someone had that idea that instead of replacing their wiper they could just find a similar pathfinder (there are hundreds in Vancouver) and swap the wiper blade arm. takes 2 seconds to pop off and put the other one on. At least they swapped it instead of stealing it, but I'm still pissed they took mine!

fueler

Holidazed wrote:When I bought my truck in January of this year I replaced the old rusty rear wiper blade with a new one from Nissan within the first week. cost me $8. anyways yesterday I was looking at my back wiper and realized that I have a rusty old black wiper. Someone stole my new one and swapped it with an old used one! bastards...In a way though I'm impressed someone had that idea that instead of replacing their wiper they could just find a similar pathfinder (there are hundreds in Vancouver) and swap the wiper blade arm. takes 2 seconds to pop off and put the other one on. At least they swapped it instead of stealing it, but I'm still pissed they took mine!
are you sure yours hasnt just rusted??? I have stolen wiper blades before, when times were tough and i didnt replace them, mainly cause i didnt even have wiper blades to begin with

Holidazed

no, the new one couldnt have rusted that fast (5 months). impossible. there are chips of paint falling off.

fueler

interesting! well they got some nice thieves in canada i guess!! or the salt and snow is gnarlier than you think!

Qxxx4

are you talking about the blade or the arm? id LOVE a new arm since mine is constantly chipping, even after painting it. How do i remove it? i never tried i just put newspaper all around when painting it. I think im gunna take it out and properly primer it and repaint.

as for 5 months, thats plenty of time to rust, maybe you just didnt notice?

N2mesnob
Car: 95' SE Pathfinder

Luven yo work dog !!!I like the led corner better, it definitely gives it a cleaner look.

Holidazed

fueler: i dont think its possible for it to rust and chip that much just in 5 months. it loks about 5 years old now.

qxxx4: not the lower arm, just the part that holds the blade and is about a foot long. but its still metal. for removing the lower arm, you shoiuld be able to pop off that round piece of plastic at the bottom where its mounted to the rear door and then use a wrench to unscrew it easily. i need to take off my front ones to paint them since they rusted as well, and they mount on the same way.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”