2002 Q45 cranks but won't start after engine swap. [SOLVED - damaged signal plate]

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
HollywoodJackson
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35
1990 Nissan 240SX Hatchback
1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

MowgliCSM wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:24 pm
First thing I noticed is you have a bunch of hose clamps not installed correctly. A few vacuum hoses look in really poor condition.
Yes, I see in the pics a few hose clamps are not even on the hose they are supposed to be on, like in the first pic, the hose clamp is just chillin'. Some of those hoses are made of a hard plastic, and have gotten very brittle. Some of them didn't survive the swap. Seeing as they are vacuum hoses, and will have to withstand some suction pressure, is there a cheap alternative for those hoses, or will I have to shell out money to the dealership to replace vacuum hoses?
MowgliCSM wrote:
Might also be missing a valve cover bolt.
I brought that line item to the attention of my boy that runs the self help shop (used to be a Toyota dealership tech). It's actually, the bolt is broken and it's going to require tapping to get the broken part out. He suggested not to worry about that particular item right now.[/quote]
MowgliCSM wrote:
And this might be a stupid question, but do you have the fuel supply and return hoses hooked up correctly?
No such thing as a stupid question! And thank you for taking the time to look at the pics and comment. The fuel rail from the '03 had some big differences from the fuel rail in the '02. For instance, the '03 fuel rail passes fuel from one bank to the other, in the front of the intake (radiator side). The '02 fuel rail passes it from one bank to the other, behind the intake. Upon discovering that, I took the fuel rail off the '02 and put it on the '03 engine that's in the car now.

Can any of these vacuum lines prevent the car from starting? What about any security features? Could security features have been triggered?

EdBwoy

EdBwoy wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:51 pm
... It would greatly help us to help you if you addressed these requests:
-
  • have you checked all the fuses? 2002-q45-major-fuses-relays-and-modules ... 22905.html
  • what all still needs to be "buttoned up" under the hood?
  • can you provide pictures of what your under-hood situation is? Video helps too
  • how about a video as you attempt to start it? Show what the gauge cluster is showing, let us hear it
  • You mention some electronics, I mentioned some key ones as well as the harness. Which of those have you looked at?
We might be able to identify what is preventing your car from starting, but right now we're just swinging wildly as you swing wildly.
I don't know if the highlighted questions are at all possible to address, but I know I've asked them a few times already.

Anyway, moving on...
Thanks for posting the pictures and video. The video confirms that the starter and battery are the least of your worries.
I have a few things that the media didn't show and would be worth verifying. I think it would be best that I don't pose these as questions, so I'll just ask that you confirm:
- even though the car hasn't started yet, it has enough crank and juice to be able to pull some codes. Scan it and if there are any codes, post them for review.
- check the main vacuum hose that runs from the intake manifold to the brake booster
- at the front on the left bank, there should be 2 grounded terminals bolted onto the top of the timimg cover

HollywoodJackson
1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

Ok. I was able to get the car on a lift today. Took out the crank sensor, so I could see the ring/plate on it. Sure enough, it’s bent. Going to order a replacement or pick one up at the junk yard.

Thanks for the valuable info. Especially EdBwoy. Thanks for the patience. Once installed I will let y’all know what happens!

All the best,
~HollywoodJackson~

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Out of my element here, so I haven't been able to contribute much - but I can't wait to see a video of your new engine running. :bigthumb:

HollywoodJackson
1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

RESOLVED...

EdBwoy was on point. It was the 'flex plate' attached to the 'ring gear' (aka flywheel). It was bent af! Apparently it got bent like that when I was dropping the engine back in. It's a better idea to pull the engine and tranny out as 1.

It was really bent! After I installed the transmission, and turned the key, the car fired up almost instantly. Now there are weird noises etc that I must deal with.

All the best,
~HollywoodJackson~

Dxta
Car: Infiniti M45 sedan base sport

Hi Hollywoodjackson. Did you finally get to fix your car?

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”