Questions for R32s imported from Canada to USA

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Thefloatplace
Car: 91 gts4

Its weird how it happened. I was using the importer to try and find a car, i kinda stopped looking but he knew what i wanted. He found a private seller, in canada, with a car he knew id want. We worked out the deal, and he has held the car since June. Waiting for the Jan birthday lol. Seller told me ill be getting the Registration Card as well.

I used japaninspection to order a duplicate deregistration. Its a few bucks but is the most official thing i can get.

Im guesing that once the car is imported, NYS DMV will generate a title for me? Thank you for the help

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

Thefloatplace wrote:Its weird how it happened. I was using the importer to try and find a car, i kinda stopped looking but he knew what i wanted. He found a private seller, in canada, with a car he knew id want. We worked out the deal, and he has held the car since June. Waiting for the Jan birthday lol. Seller told me ill be getting the Registration Card as well.

I used japaninspection to order a duplicate deregistration. Its a few bucks but is the most official thing i can get.

Im guesing that once the car is imported, NYS DMV will generate a title for me? Thank you for the help
If you got a duplicate Export Certificate then you should have everything you need.

Yeah, once you get it in and take it to DMV they'll want to see the Canadian registration card and the other papers and assuming they know what they're doing they'll give you a title. Be sure and make copies of everything because if they work anything like AZ MVD they'll keep your originals like they did when they took my paperwork and gave me the title for my R32.

Thefloatplace

Cheers man

JDMEXPO-NY
Car: 1990 Nissan Skyline GTR

No. There is no need for an Export Certificate and it'll probably just make things more difficult. You need the Canadian title, a bill of sale and the DOT and EPA forms filled out. It's a good idea to also bring a printout of the manufacture date from nissan.epc-data.com. When you get the car, on the way through the border tell them you're importing a car and make sure to let them know its over 25yr old and you have the required paperwork. They'll direct you to the Customs station, you fill out a 7501, pay duty tax and then you're on your way!

Bring the stamped 7501, the bill of sale and the title to the DMV. I HIGHLY recommend going to a small-town DMV, if you go to a busy one they'll liable to tell you you need some form you don't have so they don't have to deal with you. You'll pay sales tax, registration fees and then in about 3mo your NYS title will arrive in the mail!

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

JDMEXPO-NY wrote:No. There is no need for an Export Certificate and it'll probably just make things more difficult. You need the Canadian title, a bill of sale and the DOT and EPA forms filled out. It's a good idea to also bring a printout of the manufacture date from nissan.epc-data.com. When you get the car, on the way through the border tell them you're importing a car and make sure to let them know its over 25yr old and you have the required paperwork. They'll direct you to the Customs station, you fill out a 7501, pay duty tax and then you're on your way!

Bring the stamped 7501, the bill of sale and the title to the DMV. I HIGHLY recommend going to a small-town DMV, if you go to a busy one they'll liable to tell you you need some form you don't have so they don't have to deal with you. You'll pay sales tax, registration fees and then in about 3mo your NYS title will arrive in the mail!
Are they taking the parts catalogs printouts now for sure as proof of date of manufacture? From other people's experience it seems to depend on the CBP post or agent and some don't accept printouts from FAST or the parts catalogs. I know with my car the importer had to use the Export Certificate as proof of the date of manufacture but that was some time ago.

JDMEXPO-NY
Car: 1990 Nissan Skyline GTR

They have accepted that site numerous times for me. My guess is that it looks pretty official. I actually had the customs agent look it up on his computer as I didn't have a printout last time. There is nothing on the car itself that says what the year is and they wouldn't rely on just the paperwork, so I was glad to know that site off the top of my head. The export certificate also shows first registration, which isn't necessarily the build date. I've only gone through the Champlain border, so I don't know about others but compared to dealing with ports they are the nicest, easiest going people ever. The guy in the booth held up the 50+ cars behind me just to talk to me about his trip to Ireland and to get tips for driving on the right lol!

Thefloatplace

Ha!

Just an update..

I received original copies of the cars deregistration today in the mail. States first registration as Jan 91. Im good to go babyyy

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”