Questioin about manually moving stuck motorized seat...

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
bmatchick
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

I have a 2018 Rogue SL and the motorized driver's seat is stuck as far back as it'll go. The motor works and I can feel it trying to move the seat, but it can't. I've watched YouTube videos about this problem and there is always a place where you can use a drill or socket with a square bit to force the seat to move and "un-jam" it.

Problem is I can't find this on my Rogue. I took the cover with the controls off and I can't find anything like what's immediately apparent on other cars. I can see where *I think* it should be, but there is silver cover over the place the bit would insert and I can't get that off. But I might be totally wrong. Maybe the Rogue works differently.

Again, the switches and motor are working and all the other adjustments work, just not back and forth, so I'm not sure how to un-jam this. Any advice would really be appreciated. My sister drove the car and had to put 3 pillows behind her back, so it's really a pain. :)

Thank you,
Brian

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There's no manual gear like that on your Rogue (or any late model Nissan). Rogue power seats that are getting old are prone to jam all the way back from wear in the tracks, but they can almost always be freed up by tapping on the rear of the slider with a heavy deadblow hammer while an assistant works the seat switch. It's usually the inboard slider that jams. However, if the track is jammed because something is stuck in it, you may be SOL to save the seat frame. The rear attachment screws for the rails can't be accessed without getting the seat to move forward, and depending what kind of debris is jamming it, that may require enough force to destroy the mechanism.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - The only places to apply a drill are where the flex cables that connect the motor to the tracks enter the track gears, but the cables aren't large, I'd say about 0.150" diameter. So I suspect you'd simply strip the track gears by trying to apply a high-powered drill.

bmatchick

Thanks for the info. It's irritating because the seat has been moved back and forth maybe 20 times, ever. I even set it up so it doesn't move back when the car is turned off, which seems like it would really shorten the life of the thing. The car has 40K miles and now one of the front strut assemblies is squeaking like crazy (don't know much about what's involved). I'm getting quotes of between $1200-$2000 to fix it, and the higher quote is the only one they'll guarantee stops the noise, which is the whole point. I've never had a car this new-ish with so few miles and issues ready to cost me so much money, especially if the seat is boned. I like the Rogue, but next time I might go back to Mazda or Honda. At least the class action thing made them extend the drive train warranty.

Thanks again for your help.
Brian

bmatchick

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. After a little sweet talking with a dead-blow hammer it's now working again. :)

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:18 am
There's no manual gear like that on your Rogue (or any late model Nissan). Rogue power seats that are getting old are prone to jam all the way back from wear in the tracks, but they can almost always be freed up by tapping on the rear of the slider with a heavy deadblow hammer while an assistant works the seat switch. It's usually the inboard slider that jams. However, if the track is jammed because something is stuck in it, you may be SOL to save the seat frame. The rear attachment screws for the rails can't be accessed without getting the seat to move forward, and depending what kind of debris is jamming it, that may require enough force to destroy the mechanism.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

bmatchick wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:41 pm
Just wanted to say thanks for the help. After a little sweet talking with a dead-blow hammer it's now working again. :)
You're most welcome. Happy motoring!
:dblthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”