Quest Alternator(110amp) to SR20 - Finally a bolt on kit!

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
codyace
Car: S14 w/redtop

Quest Alternator(110amp) to SR20 - Finally a bolt on kit!

This has long been a sticking point for SR20 guys....nothign worked, and anything/everythign required welding and modification for it to work - the wait is over! I got frustrated with no one making this kit so I took it into my own hands intead.

After a few test kits, I've finally ended up with my V1 design. This design is in fact NOT what I originally started with (thankfully) and after taking it out to my machine shop, we both came up with these idea. It utilizes the factory bracket, and does not require ANY cutting or extreme modification. The only thing out of the ordinary you will need to do, is drill out the lower mounting holes large enough for the stock SR20 bolt to go through (very easy). You will also need to remove the factory adjustment piece/parts (Two 12mm bolts, and it's off)...which is nice as if you ever want to sell the car, or convert back for some odd unknown reason, you can. Aside from that, it's bolt on and go.

This kit is much simpler than my initial design, as it integrates the tensioner aspect of it, as well as support. This keeps it easy to install, and easy to adjust (dare I say even easier than the factory setup?)

Insalled Pictures on an s13:

Installed pictures on my s14 (take note my radiator hose is closer, as it's a different hose...the OE hose will be same as the s13)

Bracket off the car

Kit laid out with all parts (all grade 8 hardware, with machine tool grade spacers)

Lower attaching point, with locking washer

Upper attaching point, with locking washer, and machine shims

All hardware is stainless or corrosion free as well. No ganky stuff here! Only thing NOT pictured is the belt, which will be included with the kit.

The only thing at this point that I'm not sure of until tomorrow is final pricing from the machine shop, as I'll be getting a few made (the more kits, the lss cost obviously, much less than my one off first kit...but that's how it works right? I needed it regardless so I figure I could help some others out that want to convert as well.

Final Price: 75 Dollars, shipped, paypalled for the entire kit, hardware AND BELT. A bolt on solution that is both elegant, and functional.

EMAIL ME FOR PAYMENT INFORMATION ([email protected])

Thank you, and I hope to help you all out soon!

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

yes, yes, yes!!! you are my hero! I want and will e-mail asap. What about the later quest 125 amp alt? I know that a member on here runs a 180amp iraggi (sp?) alt for the KA and he installed in on his SR no problems, just had to drill out the threads. Said he's had no issues, but not sure about cheap high amp aftermarket alts. I'm so glad you did this

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Very nicely done, as usual, Cody!

codyace

homeslicej2 wrote: yes, yes, yes!!! you are my hero! I want and will e-mail asap. What about the later quest 125 amp alt? I know that a member on here runs a 180amp iraggi (sp?) alt for the KA and he installed in on his SR no problems, just had to drill out the threads. Said he's had no issues, but not sure about cheap high amp aftermarket alts. I'm so glad you did this
The 125 ones will also work, as long as they arein the same case. The 2003+ ones shouldn't as IIRC they use a different mounting system. 1996-2002 Altenators will work perfect for this. I realized I forgot to add the 125 part to my title just now hehe.

I also agree, I like OEM stuff. I'd sooner run a proven junkyard altenator, and even potentially have it rebuilt, before going with an aftermarket one of unknown service support.

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

Yep, I get OEM when I can for replacement parts. I should have time to stop at the parts store and compare the 110 to 125 in the 96-02 models. They looked the same on Advance's website, but you never know if it's the right photo. I'll post up what I find. I sent an e-mail last night asking for your payment info.

zach-Ka
Car: 1990 240sx (SR)

I will be getting this in due time...

codyace

(Copy email from some of the emails I sent)

Good news! that the Quest Alternator kits are now 100% available for shipping.

Final price is 75 shipped, for the entire kit with belt, bolts, and bracket.

paypal: [email protected]

I can have kits out as early as tomorrow :D

Thanks again to everyone for being patient, I ended up needing some additional time to test fit this on ALL combinations to ensure fitment across the board

-Cody Ace

Morph
Car: 91 Sr Powered Coupe

Dude wtf u gonna make next.

codyace

What do you need, I may have already made it and never thought tiwce about making more hehe.

Morph
Car: 91 Sr Powered Coupe

codyace wrote:What do you need, I may have already made it and never thought tiwce about making more hehe.
Ha nothing i can think of now. Still need to get your ac kit. Just gotta get past this maintnence contract bs at work. Dont need to get parts and not have a job.

But good job as always man. Keep the parts coming.

devlmaycry
Car: 95 Nissan 240sx S14.5

Awesome, I should have thought of that earlier since it looks real similar to the alt/ps brackets you can get when upgrading your old school SBC chevy motors. Hahaha. Oh, and your A/C kit was awesome, I got cold A/C now in my S14!

RB26needaparachute
Car: 1998 240sx Se/RB26

How long can the rod go. This could possibly work on the rb's as well and I am very interested in it.PM me because I need a way to make my quest alt work on my rb26..just drilled the holes out on the alternator today I just need a way to secure it now.This could be a very nice and easy solution for me.

240_SeX
Car: 1992 240SX SE

homeslicej2 wrote:Yep, I get OEM when I can for replacement parts. I should have time to stop at the parts store and compare the 110 to 125 in the 96-02 models. They looked the same on Advance's website, but you never know if it's the right photo. I'll post up what I find. I sent an e-mail last night asking for your payment info.
What was the verdict on this? Do they both work? I'm about to order the kit, just need to know which alternator I should get. Thanks.

devlmaycry

I got a 125amp from a 99 quest and it worked just fine with Codyaces kit.

240_SeX

What was the trasnition year? And is it only the ones from the VG series that fit? Sorry for being a PITA

devlmaycry

I'm not sure I know I ebayed mine for 65 with a 3yr warranty. I just looked at the photos and compaired them there. I think the 96-02 is the same, but I would check the parts store. They can pull a couple and you can look at them. I know with my 99 the plug location and power wire hookup were in different spots than stock, but still hooked up fine. I actually like the new locations better.

240_SeX

Anyone know how to get a hold of this guy? I sent him an e mail last week and haven't herd back yet, i need this kit to get my car back on the road. Maybe he changed his e-mail? His pms are off and i can't get him on aim either.

playero_loko
Car: 1991 240sx

would the underdrive pulley from the sr alternator work with the quest one???

Hijacker
'94 F-150

240_SeX wrote:Anyone know how to get a hold of this guy? I sent him an e mail last week and haven't herd back yet, i need this kit to get my car back on the road. Maybe he changed his e-mail? His pms are off and i can't get him on aim either.
I'm not sure what happened to Cody. He has kind of disappeared over the course of the year. The best advice I could give you was his email, but you've already tried that.

I believe he posts on Zilvia or FA under the same username. You could try to hit him up there as well.

codyace

Hey everyone. I still lurk here all of the time, but for some reason my subscriptions seemd to get played with.

Alternator wise, they changed in 1999. 115 amp from 96 to 1999/125 amp from 99 to 01.

I've had my best luck from ebay. Plenty of places offer warrenty on them.

PUlley wise, they are interchangeable. You could use the sr one on the quest. Thing is, my belt won't work then.

Sorry for the late reply, i never even got an update for it
[email protected]

jeff13
Car: S13 blacktop in a 89 coupe

Reviving a long dead thread because I got these brackets from Cody and popped in a juicy big amp alternator. Works great no problems with brackets six months after the install - easy to adjust. The install directions were none existent but if I can figure it out, then anyone should be able to do it too.

Hijacker
'94 F-150

Glad to hear you're enjoying the new alternator! I've considered upgrading to a Quest alt a few times.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”