Q45t Coilovers

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Fly_R_Die

Did some searching and couldn't pin point an exact answer. So I have an 01' Q45t and I'm looking at purchasing coil overs for it pretty soon. Are base model and touring model coil overs the same or is there a different application for touring models?

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

No, they are NOT THE SAME!!!! Do not buy Megan Coil overs as they are made only for the non-touring car. I know you have a 2001 which has the electronic suspension. There are a few guys on the board that recommend the rebuilding of these stockers, some use KYB SR Specials which are very hard to find. I am going to put BC Coilovers onto my 97' Q45 actually tomorrow so I will post up a review shortly. I bought them locally from a company that is going to do the install after my usual local mechanic started to do an install with Megan's and we found out the hard way that the spindle opening on the Megan's was 12MM and the Touring model has 14MM.

I actually talked to the guy at BC Coilovers and they suspect that Infiniti changed over to 14MM openings for brakes at some point from 97 to 01 but they know for sure their coilovers fit. Since I wasted my mechanics time and some of my money (he was very cool about it offered to do it for free but I gave hime $200) I am having the same shop source and install this time.

The BC's are suppose to be very good. I have heard from a few people on the BMW side they like BC better than Megan even though BC makes Megan's (to Megan's specs not BC's). They are made in USA but are expensive, it is costing me $1700 installed and aligned...I know kids putting that kind of money into an old car is crazy, but I plan to drive her for 2-3 more years at least. I just did a radio upgrade to a nice Pioneer streaming radio and Bluetooth hand-free.

Fly_R_Die

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to clear it up before moving forward. I'm looking forward to see your review on those BC's as well. Are the BC coils easy to get a hold of?

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

Yes, very easy. They were hard to find, I was hunting and they turned up on ebay. I was able to call the company and talk to someone there, he was able to confirm the 12mm versus 14mm spindle difference. BTW, you really have to do the spindle otherwise you need to cut and weld which I couldn't find anybody in the Bay Area willing to do. That does drive up the price but if you consider the price of replace struts and springs from Infiniti which is the only other alterative they are not that bad. Struts are now $250 each from Infiniti and springs are around 1k as well.

Fly_R_Die

Cool thanks for the answers man. I'll probably start looking around for a set soon. Where on eBay did you get them from?

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

Screw ebay, here is their website:

http://www.bcracing-na.com/

just call them and if you do not want to buy directly from them ask if they have a dealer near you. I pointed my dealer to them so they could order and install them, thus taking the risk of a no fit away from me.

I will be posting either disaster or full success and results tomorrow.

JOHNQ
Car: 99Qt
02 Q
03 M

:wtf2:
Fly_R_Die wrote:Cool thanks for the answers man. I'll probably start looking around for a set soon. Where on eBay did you get them from?
I have a set of jic magic coilovers with the factory abs sensors taken off of my 2000 anniversary edition that has the exact same stock suspension setup as your 2001 touring edition for sale. Text me 3474489365 for questions or details

nismopcparts
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45

I installed the BC coilovers w/spindle about a year ago on my 99 Q45 base. The install was somewhat involved, but ABS sensors were frozen in stock spindles and rotor shields were as well. Had to buy new OEM replacements for both. Love the stance I was able to achieve with them. I do not have it slammed and there is about 1"-1.5" gap between tires and fenders, but I have been having a heck of a time getting them to ride comfortably. I get a after bump bouncing effect mostly in the rear that I am unable to get rid of. I am rolling on 17" G35 staggered Coupe rims with 235/50-17 (F) and 245/50-17 (R). I've increases/decreased tire pressure multiple time and tried multiple dampening settings and just can not get it right.

The only thing I have not tried is to see if the factory spring pre-load was not set properly.

Hopefully you guys have better luck

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

I didn't feel that at all, rears sort of feel cushy. I have 19" M45 Sport rims with 245/40/ 19 tires, I will replace with 45 series now that I have a set-up not as slammed as before.

I plan to reduce by 1 click but they ride really different the standard shocks/struts setup. What kind of tires are you running, my setup used to have the Bridgestone 050A's and replaced with Michelin PS Sports which ride much better.

nismopcparts

BadQ45t wrote: What kind of tires are you running, my setup used to have the Bridgestone 050A's and replaced with Michelin PS Sports which ride much better.
Kumho Ecsta 4X - My thought is if the preset spring load wasn't set right (too loose), the symptoms I am getting could point to the cause.

What # are you set at for dampening on Fronts and Rears? And is that from Soft to Hard or Hard to Soft?

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

it is right in the middle and at that setting it is far stiffer than the KYB SR Specials and Tein shocks were. The feels so much more stout then it did. I think I will dial-back 2 settings so I am on the softer side. I need to do a few windy road drives to see just how much body roll and control is there and then think about giving up a little of that for ride comfort. These are really a racing setup so I think for daily driving going to the softer side is best.

Q45 Matias

So I just bought BC racing BR series coils with splindle and everything was going well the fitment and preload were sent perfectly adjusted then just one thing had to have happened! I noticed the tip of the splindle wasn’t the same as the original. I will post a picture to demonstrate. Idk if this is a mistake from BC or it’s a improvement. If any of you noticed b4 you install the bolt to close the wheel hub there’s a spacer which comforts in the splindle. I noticed with the new coils they don’t have a fitment for that spacer!Image

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”