Q45 5 speed Project

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Let me first say that this is going to try and keep people up to date with my project. I dont care if you think the project is stupid or wont be worth it in the end because a) you arent doing it, b) I dont care, because im doing it anyway, c) this is not your project so go piss in someone elses wheaties.

Now thats taken care of... I started this a few days ago.. Got the dash all ripped out and the stock Q brake pedal is out...

I have a Z32 clutch pedal, brake pedal. basically, all the Z32 swap parts. I figure most of it should work fine..

Heres a side by side of the Q vs Z32

You can see that the Z and Q pedals are very similar... The Z pedal is going to fit just about perfect, only one modification needs to be made (that I will make when I get access to the shop) is the switches are on the opposite side on the Z vs the Q. On the Q, the steering column is on that side, so it causes an intereference.. Moving them directly to the other side, like on the Q should be just fine and the thing will slide right in. Im going to cut the metal bracket out of the Q and Z and put the Q stuff on the Z pedal

The clutch pedal is going to mounted where the E brake used to be. Im going to have to size up the master cylinder and figure out exactly where its going to sit. The Z32 MC has plenty of room inside the little area where the cruise control thing sits.. Im thinking the cruise control will just have to be moved out a tiny bit and it will be fine, because whats a Q without cruise?

Heres a shot of my car with the cruise control servo moved out of the way.

I didnt move it out of the way for the pic, but theres some good solid firewall behind that insulation... its not perfectly flat so ill probably put something in there to hold the MC straight..

Z32 MC. I have a socket that I used to mock up the fitting in the area where it can fit... Theres plenty of room in there, at least it looks like there is now

Now for the interior.. Heres a shot of the parking brake and the brake pedal removed...

Heres a couple shots of a stripped Q firewall.. Once that bracket is removed it shoudlnt be a big deal, in fact we may be able to use that bracket as a good solid place to mount the clutch pedal.

Also, let the record reflect that there is MORE CRAP under the dash than you'd imagine. IM kinda scared for the day that I have to put it back together. Fortunately, theres only like 5 different kinds of bolts and screws.

As most of you already know, I am making my own adapter plates to mount a Z trans to the VH. Im hoping those will be done in a fairly timely manner..

I think getting the pedals, MC and all that stuff working is going to be the hardest part of the project.. Mainly because of the lack of space and the workspace we're given.

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

This has been done before but please tell me that you going to keep the original Q intieror look and not destroy it with putting in a carbon fiber dash and what ever else in the name of Q speed.

Dunno i just would like to see a 5 speed Q with original interior!!!

bullittandy
Car: 2003 Q45, 70K miles, 1999 Q45 touring 180K miles, 1997 Q45 270K miles, (sold), 1997 Q45 186K miles (junk-sold)

That's a helluva project!! That barren dash looks daunting and if you can't get the clutch pedal to work then its time to investigate some sort of e-transmission-say Ferrari etc etc.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

ppastos wrote:This has been done before but please tell me that you going to keep the original Q intieror look and not destroy it with putting in a carbon fiber dash and what ever else in the name of Q speed.

Dunno i just would like to see a 5 speed Q with original interior!!!
Not been done with a VH45.. Therfore im sticking to the fact thats its not been done in a true Q45!!

I am keeping the interior as original as I can... at least 99% original.
bullittandy wrote:That's a helluva project!! That barren dash looks daunting and if you can't get the clutch pedal to work then its time to investigate some sort of e-transmission-say Ferrari etc etc.
The good news and the bad news is that the clutch pedal has a very narrow range of places it can go, due to the place the MC has to go... i am going to have to get the brake pedal in place and operational before I mess with the clutch, mainly because the brake pedal is going to stay where it is. I will mount the clutch and use my torch to position it exactly where it needs to be..

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I am also thinking that for the brake pedal I might just bend the stock Q pedal and cut off part of it so its about the size of a MT pedal. Might be easier?

Rex
Car: None

Glad to see you weren't stripping your Q down to the (interior) firewall to investigate the possibility of doing this.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Interesting, but I guess only a 5 speed due to cost? I'll have to check if that guy with the T-56 on a VH45DE ever got his running.

Cruise control will be eliminated, I presume?

Good luck.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

cruise will NOT be eliminated. That was definitely one of the things I dont want to lose. I dont want to take any Q out of my Q45.

IM not doing a 5 speed due to cost, but because of the Z32 trans having ideal gearing for the VH45... I think 6 speeds are too much for the Q, its got such a wide powerband i think 6 gears is going to be a lot of unecessary shifting. Not to mention clutches are way easier to deal with (all bolt on), flywheels, and so forth.

jamesmost
Car: "95Qmodded, Benz wagon 4matic , 1986 MB 560sec

nice glad to c u diggin in. what time frame are you putting on this project ??

GO TEAM WES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Im not sure what the time frame is. IM hoping to have the interior all back together in a couple weeks.

jamesmost
Car: "95Qmodded, Benz wagon 4matic , 1986 MB 560sec

elwesso wrote:Im not sure what the time frame is. IM hoping to have the interior all back together in a couple weeks.
nice

thejapino
Car: '93 J30t

WOW, I've been waiting for this exact thread to pop up Wes. Actually, I've been waiting to see how your adapter plates came out. Good job stepping it up and being the 'guinea pig'.

I've been collecting Z 5-speed parts and so far I have:tranny w/ shifter, crossmember,flywheel,clutch pedalmasterslavelinestunnel boot and plate

I'm still looking for:driveshaft (OEM so I can get it shortened & 1-pieced)clutch kitstarteradapter plate (Wes, when can you sell me one)

I'll be following this thread very closely. Thanks Wes, G/L

Jason

Dabizzo1
Car: 1994 Q45

You da man Wes...just getting the dash out is daunting enough...best of luck to you and can't wait to see the results. Boris

Raxephon
Car: '04 RX8...for the moment...

thejapino wrote:
I'm still looking for:driveshaft (OEM so I can get it shortened & 1-pieced)clutch kitstarter
Driveshaft- Check the NICO sponsor list (I think its driveshaftshop.com)

Clutch Kit- Don't cheap out on this one. Unless you're like me and plan on pulling things out on a regular basis, spend the extra cash on one that won't have to be changed often.

Starter- Ebay or the classified section is your best bet for that one.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Oh, man, I'm sitting here imagining the Beast with a 5 speed. It's making me tingly.

I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on this one.

Peterofdevon
Car: 94T 70K, miss mannors, 96 Black on Black 72K, raw sex

Wes,

WOW great project. I know a guy who did this with his 7 series (older one). He was so proud of it.

Post those pics and let us arm chair quarterbacks be jealous.

Peter

greenwar
Car: 08 WRX

Good luck to you Wes. Looking forward to seeing a manual Q45.

Regarding the 7 series manual, did you know that the 7 series used in the movie "Transporter (1)" was actually a V12 with manual transmission? It was custom built for the movie.

Rex
Car: None

Speaking of other cars that never came as manual's ...

Lexus SC400 swapped in a 6 speedAudi A6 4.2 swapped in a 6 speed

Well, I guess "we're" guilty of taking Wes' thread off topic. Sorry bud.

bullittandy
Car: 2003 Q45, 70K miles, 1999 Q45 touring 180K miles, 1997 Q45 270K miles, (sold), 1997 Q45 186K miles (junk-sold)

elwesso wrote:Im not sure what the time frame is. IM hoping to have the interior all back together in a couple weeks.
Will you be taking meth?

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

With all your work on the adapter plates I suspected this was your big surprise! Any more surprises? While reading I was going to suggest cutting, modifying the OEM brake pedal to fit your size and location needs, then you mention the same thing. I also believe that will be easier than the alternative of installing the Z32 assembly.

If you are successful with this and it turns out a moderately difficult or less job, the manual trans swap will definitely move up a few rungs on my to do list for my Q!

Awesome.

jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Wes, are you planning on making it to Import Alliance again this year? If so, do you think the project will be done by then?

craigztoyz
Car: lots of unique hot rods, and customs, with modern engines, and a good truck to pull the trailer.

elwesso wrote:I am also thinking that for the brake pedal I might just bend the stock Q pedal and cut off part of it so its about the size of a MT pedal. Might be easier?
That is what I just did on a 52 ford truck I built. Bent it over, cut off part of the pedal, and realigned it, and added some extra welds.

craigztoyz
Car: lots of unique hot rods, and customs, with modern engines, and a good truck to pull the trailer.

greenwar wrote:Good luck to you Wes. Looking forward to seeing a manual Q45.

Regarding the 7 series manual, did you know that the 7 series used in the movie "Transporter (1)" was actually a V12 with manual transmission? It was custom built for the movie.
Yes, and it goes down, in history as one of the baddest BMW's EVER!!

Sequel was a w12, buyable but very few made.

ddrumman
Car: 08 FX35 39,000 mi, 07 G35 55,500 mi, 72 MGB

You are one crazy dude. I can't wait to see a video of the Q being thrown around and doing donuts with the new set up.

NSRG50
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 & 1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi

Wow Wes. good info and good luck

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

craigztoyz wrote:That is what I just did on a 52 ford truck I built. Bent it over, cut off part of the pedal, and realigned it, and added some extra welds.
Do you think it will work, like is the steel going to be ductile enough?

tmorgan4
Car: 2000 Pathfinder

Rex wrote:Speaking of other cars that never came as manual's ...

Lexus SC400 swapped in a 6 speed
Need more info on this one. A buddy has an SC400 that he claims nothing can be done to. A 6 speed would really help wake it up. Along with some turbos.

And for clutches for a Q45, I'd like to suggest DXD clutches. I bought one for my VH45 Pathfinder project from Jason @ Z31parts.com and got an excellent price on a clutch that can handle 480 ft-lbs of torque. Somewhere around $330, and it has close to the same drivability as my stock Nissan OEM clutch!

So many people are going with 6-puck clutches that will break your neck in a Q (in other high power vehicles). The clutch I've got would compliment a Q perfectly as it still has the ease in and out of a stock clutch while it should be able to handle all the power of the VH.

I'm currently running a DXD "Stage 2" TZ disc. I'm also running a NA Z flywheel (240mm). The 240mm clutch will hold more torque than the 250mm versions, from what I'm told.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Well heres what Ive decided to do with the brake pedal, and I think this is going to be the easiest method..

I took the actual arm out of the Z32 bracket and put it into the Q45 bracket. The only problem is the little thing for the switches is on the opposite side, so on monday when I get access to my welder im gonna weld it on the other side.. I test fitted it into the car and it works pretty well... I may need to mess around with the hole where the MC arm bolts to the pedal arm...

craigztoyz

Sounds like a good idea. I was not sure as to your question about the metal? I AM using a brake pedal from a 80's chevy truck and a brake pedal (as a clutch pedal) from a Taraus SHO, bent both with heat, cut and welded what needed, and fit great, stong as hell, and should hold test of time. I drive hard, so I try to build things to handle me.

morgan, on the SC..... Honestly pull the V8, swap in a Straight 6, spool that up. Just like a supra turbo, but even better looking. One of my buds, is working on one up in Ft Worth.

srpim
Car: 1991 Q45

I am amazed anyone has the time to do this.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”