PSA: rear brake service... some lazy shop didn't lubricate the pins!

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

got this Altima from a previous owner.

had some issues (like rusted oil pan and a dorman valve cover) so it sat on the driveway for a bit.

time to roll up my sleeves and get it on the road since it's a decent commuter with mpg better than my minivan.

eBay OEM valve cover and aftermarket oil pan. need to grab a decent rtv to seal the pan.

while waiting for them to arrive, i may as well knock the rust off the brake rotors and clean/re-lube the brake system, which the previous owner said a shop replaced the pads.

front was easy, but noticed driver side splash shield was missing, exposing a broken ground wire to the transmission. crimped new ground eyelet to the case & another eBay plastic piece on order...

off to the rear & found something that a lazy mechanic may have omitted:
lower caliper pin dry.jpg
:wtf2:

so, i'm guessing he didn't jack up the suspension to clear a lower control arm/link to remove the caliper pin :gotme
rear brake altima.jpg
rear brake altima2.jpg
rear brake altima3.jpg
rear brake altima4.jpg
rear brake altima5.jpg
luckily, i have 2 floor jacks, but the shop could have used a post jack or similar to push that rear knuckle up, eh?

PS: seems previous owner didn't use the parking hand brake on this car as well since there's minimal wear on the inner brake shoes/drum area of the rotor.
parking brake shoe adjuster2.jpg
parking brake shoe adjuster3.jpg
parking brake shoe adjuster.jpg
just my rant for the year :sad:

anyone else that have a rear suspension system like this, just be aware if you don't DIY your own brakes. Thank goodness i know how after so many jobs on my own vehicles, and other makes...

Return to “General Chat”