PROJECT DATSUN: SR20det 510

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
mesojdm

What do you guys think of this??? The setup I have right now with my HIDS..they are BI-XENON(which means they have HI and LOW beam built in) SO I can do away with the inner lights if I wanted. I found this cool little scoop at a local autoparts store and put it in for temp see what how it looks. I am guessing its form and function? As my intake for the turbo will be right behind it/

FMIC done (after my 3rd one)its tight fit

end tanks for the intercooler fit PERFECT right up to the frame rails enought for a fairly large radiator

Smile your on canbdid camera haha my bro got me putting me headlight bezel inthe middle part of the grill is getting rechromed and powdercoated BTW

HID's done and fitted...NO room for ERROR..

YES they are bright (4100k bulbs)

fired up with the cutoff

Carpet and interior coming together

Brothers project; Or should I say project(S)

1st- 69' coronet... sporting a 383 tonight but a soon to be440-6pack next weekits going to be his daily driver

2nd-69' coronet SUPERBEE matching numbers 4speed MINT 1 owner. THis is being retored to ALL ORIGINAL. This will make the big bucks(return investment:))

ace0073
Car: 1969 datsun 510

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, I thought I was being original..lol. I put my headlights in last week and cam up with an idea that i will post in a few minutes. So what is similar about this????...check it out!!

[img][/img]

Have you been stealing my thoughts???? I moved my low beams in and use it to feed my intake and my oil cooler, which is just out of the frame to the left in the pic below and you can just get a glimpse of the intake on the right. So in my opinion.....looks crappy you should definitely change that setup ....just kidding, looks great!

[IMG][/IMG]

Modified by ace0073 at 6:25 AM 4/4/2007

Modified by ace0073 at 6:26 AM 4/4/2007

Modified by ace0073 at 6:28 AM 4/4/2007

Modified by ace0073 at 6:29 AM 4/4/2007

Modified by ace0073 at 6:30 AM 4/4/2007
Modified by ace0073 at 6:34 AM 4/4/2007

Miyabita_Y33
Car: RIP Sold 93 240SX Coupe Sold 93 240SX Coupe Daily 97 Infiniti Q45 Weekender 93 240SX Coupe

The HID setup is sick! Have you found a new spot for the gauges? (on dash)

Great 510

FratGuyBelushi
Car: Still searching...

Wow, one of the most impressive dime builds I've seen, and certainly the most expensive! Definetly watching this one...

Gensaiken
Car: 71 Datsun 510

aww man, whats up with this?

You posting some bonus pics here that we don't get on 510realm?

need to share the love man!

simarkbotak
Car: Datsun 510 SR20DET

Hi all.. I also have the Datsport mounting kit on my SR 510.. I think it is great, haven't compared it with other mounting kits though.. I very satisfied..

This is a crazy project, but I guess, after selling an evo 7, after this project, you'll still have money to spare to spend on smoked tires.. Sweeeeeet.... Love the steering wheel..zeropost?cmd=reply&id=2261821#

Turbo is a bit to big for my liking, I'm looking into either a GT2860RS, and maybe some camwork later on, or GT2871R with .64 A/R and 52 or 48 Trim Compressor

Any suggestions? My car is daily driven, so turbo response should be as instant as superhumanly possible, but still making around 350-360hp@engine..

Suggestions please???

Mark

mesojdm

^ I didnt really care too much about the driveability of the gt30r. I want big HP and a big turbo. Its going to be more of a show car. Have you fit the datsport kit yet? How high does your motor sit? I had to have my datsport crossmember removed and its being modified(cut down and rewelded) to make the motor sit lower. I am also using still nismo motor mounts though. Actually you would think i would have some left over $ for tires after selling the evo...but the fact of the matter is ive had to dig into my pockets for more $ just to finish this thing

simarkbotak

Hi, I didn't have any trouble with the crossmember.. fits nicely under the hood.. don't have tall fuel rail though.. still all standard S14 SR20DET.. It handles nicely for a street car, although I'm sure you have seen Tod Kaneko's 510 with the 13B.. Full custom chassis/suspension and rack pinion steering..

Regarding CV's, I think there is a place called TSR Fabrication or something owned by Mario Lozano who specializes in 510's, they fabricate a lot of custom stuff.. I think it's in CA..

theharlequin

I'm insanely jealous...just trying to keep the thread alive. What are the updates?

simarkbotak

I would leave the gauges on the dash, it's safer as you can still keep an eye on the road.. Not sure if defi produces speedometers, I would get one to suit the tach.. I'm sure the needle of the stock speedo would do a 360 if it could on the drag strip..

Let me know if you get bored of the seats,door trims,steering wheel,headlights,gauges LOL..

Where are the updates??

Wouldn't mind seeing the progress of the custom pick up either, any thread on this?

Mark

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

a little alte responding but did you get your hood clearance worked out? the injectors you're running look taller than the standard injecotrs, the older style I think are lower shorter and would give you a bit more room, and a trick used on the V8Z's is to put a spacer between the crossmsmber and the chasss, this effective lowers the engine as well as the lca's (reducing bumpsteer in a lowered car) and gives you extra hood clearance, and of course my choice would be to cut the mounts and or crossmsmber as needed and sit the engine lower

simarkbotak

Hi Mesojdm..

Re: Crossmember, if the position of the engine is lower, did you also modify the transmission mounts and rear diff? I would suspect that it would change the whole geometry?

How did it go, is it done yet?

What diff are you using? I currently have a problem fitting an R32 Shortnose R200, lots of stuff has to be fabricated and changed, there aren't that many R200's around though, so that's the one I could get a hold of. Do you have any ideas regarding this? or Anyone?

Thanks,

Mark

BIGmansM
Car: 97m3, future Datsun 510 owner

am very interested to know what you did to solve the height problem you had with the engine in?

I know you may prefer not to say, so maybe i could contact you privately. BUT, how did you spend? I am only asking b/c i would nlike to do somethign similar

mesojdm

simarkbotak wrote:Hi Mesojdm..

Re: Crossmember, if the position of the engine is lower, did you also modify the transmission mounts and rear diff? I would suspect that it would change the whole geometry?

How did it go, is it done yet?

What diff are you using? I currently have a problem fitting an R32 Shortnose R200, lots of stuff has to be fabricated and changed, there aren't that many R200's around though, so that's the one I could get a hold of. Do you have any ideas regarding this? or Anyone?

Thanks,

Mark
I have not modified the diff or the tranny mount. I think thatt once the motor is lowered it will be in proper allignment from the tranny to the diff. *hope* lol. I am using a r200LSD long nose. It will bolt in with a custom mustache bar and the driveline will need to be shortened. I am not sure if I will be using the stock half shafts(modified of course) for the time being or shell out some$$$ for custom CV axles.
simarkbotak wrote:I would leave the gauges on the dash, it's safer as you can still keep an eye on the road.. Not sure if defi produces speedometers, I would get one to suit the tach.. I'm sure the needle of the stock speedo would do a 360 if it could on the drag strip..

Let me know if you get bored of the seats,door trims,steering wheel,headlights,gauges LOL..

Where are the updates??

Wouldn't mind seeing the progress of the custom pick up either, any thread on this?

Mark
Defi does not make speedo's...bummer i know.its okay cuz my navigation unit has a digital MPH readout on it:D:D ahhaa Im not sure if ill get board with all those parts cuz I havent even got to use em yet!!! Updates are slow...
BIGmansM wrote:am very interested to know what you did to solve the height problem you had with the engine in?

I know you may prefer not to say, so maybe i could contact you privately. BUT, how did you spend? I am only asking b/c i would nlike to do somethign similar
I have not checked on my car for a few weeks..so im nit sure if its been solved. HOPEFULLY lol.In reality ive gone alot more then my budget(~20k) im actually coming up over the 30k mark. Which to most people..is absurd and think im mentaly unstable but jdm=MONEEEEY and doin it right.

simarkbotak

mesojdm wrote:
I am not sure if I will be using the stock half shafts(modified of course) for the time being or shell out some$$$ for custom CV axles.

In reality ive gone alot more then my budget(~20k) im actually coming up over the 30k mark. Which to most people..is absurd and think im mentaly unstable but jdm=MONEEEEY and doin it right.
I would definitely go to CV, especially with the GT30, you wouldn't want the halfshafts coming loose, and it'll give you peace of mind..

Well, I think I'll be hitting the 20k mark when I'm done, but it's well worth it.. The car is so much fun, even with stock SR.

Still no updates??

Chucky_985DS

Got any pix of the dp? I want to know the clarence.

simarkbotak

Hi Chucky, can't answer for Mesojdm, but my dp sits pretty low, especially since I lowered the front a bit to get more downforce at high speed.. Hit the flexible between dp and exhaust, both 3", almost on any speed bumps, so I need to take speed bumps sideways/at an angle..

mesojdm

so im ordering custom cv's for my r200. Pricey but I think will be worth it in the end. I think the kit uses porshe axles:? its a kit from wolfcreekracing.com

as far as downpipe goes..havent got one on yet. I have mocked one up and there will be tons of room for clearance, my log manifold puts the turbo pretty forward. The only TIGHT sqeeze is between the 3" d/p and my brake booster but I am fabricating a sheet metal barrier and have some high temp gold heat material to put on:)

simarkbotak

I'm sure the cv's should hold definitely beyond 400hp mark.. As long as you treat them with respect.. I have been able to chew 2nd straight cut gear on dogbox in a subaru with around 350hp.. Hehehe..

I was reading your post and thought brake booster, downpipe?? Hehehe.. Then realized.. LHD of course..

Chucky_985DS

what about that steering box don't it get in the way?Dude that still a bad *** car. I might be going in the same set up for my 510.

burgy240
Car: 2000 Q45 Ann. Edition Blk on Blk

That is f-ing sweet! dream dime. I have always loved these. keep it clean and KEEP US POSTED

mesojdm

no car news but my b-day is today(21 wooot) and my g/f got me some parts. sweeeeeeeeet!takatas;

I just have throw this in although its not a car part::D:D:D

simarkbotak

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Wish you all the best.. My Dime a daily, so I'd take the iPhone..

13th of september for me... ???

My best wishes to you again.. Please keep us posted on your progress with the build, here and datnet..

ace0073
Car: 1969 datsun 510

AHHHH, Im not hating on your b-day (happy b-day to you) but I have been waiting for updates to this thread for eva eva!!!! Here I see it jump to the top and I get all excited and ......no car updates!!!! man, life is tough anyway, whats going on with that 510???

theharlequin

Any new updates?

smoakie976

thanks......now i really miss my dime!

niz16
Car: datsun 1600(510)

hey mate, just wondering how yopu went with the engine height, got alot of mates who used that kit over here, the way we get em to fit is reduce the size of the engine mounts that bolt to the bolt, we also run 1600 engine mounts, not the s13 silvia mounts

hope this helps some

duffman1278
Car: 89 240sx Hatch, the wildcats!

WOW this car is extremely cleeeaaannnnn. Congrats on that build. I planned on doing the same setup later on down the road. How did the cross members for the SR sit on the 510?

Masterdebater
Car: 1989 nissan 240sx coupe

sooo does the sr20 drop right in? no mounts needed or driveshaft? it may have been mentioned but this is a long post and i dont have time to read through it so im gonna ask :D lol

S13Teddy
Car: R32 Skyline, S13

well you need a crossmember for one.

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”