PROJECT DATSUN: SR20det 510

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
BoostFab
Car: S13cp, S13fb, S14z

woow, pure sweetness.

that 510 is definately a monster...thanks for sharing your PLOG

datsunboy
Car: Datsuns

yes, you do have to modify the mostache bar.

I have a R200 LSD in my 510, and had to do that, along with cutting out a bit from the x-member too.I went with custom CV axles

mesojdm

Where did you get the CV axles? Anypics? Thanks

datsunboy

the CV axles were just standard Nissan ones ( doesnt matter what car it came off, so long as its RWD, they should all have them same spline count and size ).then I got a mate who's a CNC machinist, to cut it to the correct length, and re-machine a new spline onto one end of each axle.

we hardness tested them before and after, and the hardness didnt change at all.

I'll try get some pics later.

datsunboy

thats the only pic I got on hand, I have some other pics at home tho

white90esex
Car: 90 240sx
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

damn thats one bad *** car..... I cant wait to see what its like once its done.

amolao
Car: 1989 Hatchback (the first one...) w/ Autech sr20de S15

adrians_s13 wrote: threads like this make me happy in my pants
I just had to go change my underwear after seeing the front bride seats and uphostery for the rears.....

I can't believe how clean and original was the car from the beginning, even had the original chassis OEM stickers....got any pics from the initial time before you started modding the car??

love it mang....

chitownguy
Car: 74 260z and 85 325e

WOW!! Can't wait to see what it looks like in the end. But are these the type of offsets 510's use? cause I always thought they used the same offsets as Z's.
mesojdm wrote:ROLLERS-Volk ce28 16X7 +42

mrzabala
Car: 93 240sx se Hatchback

Very nice. I'll shake your hand if I see you.

datsunboy

chitownguy wrote:WOW!! Can't wait to see what it looks like in the end. But are these the type of offsets 510's use? cause I always thought they used the same offsets as Z's.
Im using +41 offsett on my 510, using 280ZX struts, with a 25mm spacer

exile27

I see you're from Yuba City, I'm in Folsom. Once I start to mod my dime I'm gonna have to hit you up and get some pointers from you.

That car will be awesome! Can't wait to see how it all comes together.

mesojdm

amolao wrote:
I just had to go change my underwear after seeing the front bride seats and uphostery for the rears.....

I can't believe how clean and original was the car from the beginning, even had the original chassis OEM stickers....got any pics from the initial time before you started modding the car??

love it mang....
Yes all factroy stickers were still in tact in the engine bay. Unfortunetly i didnt want to risk seeing OEM "red" under the edges after its painted so I told the painters to remove them. Yes the whole interior will be bride..call me a whore but im just makin it match heres a teaser for ya-

mrzabala

Wheres all the funding coming from? Its too nice.

mesojdm

B]UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Picked the car up form paint today. It better then I could think of AND More! I am stoaked! These are just some pics in the garage but it really does not do the paint justice. In the sunlight it shows the metallic ALOT more and the paint just has alot of depth to it! At different angles the paint has a purple hint to it...i LOVE IT. Paint was a 2005 nissan/infinity color (g35 and other cars) I will get alot more pics updated now I have the car and can work on it. Later!-stew

amolao

Why you keep doing this to me??!!!

I love that interior and the powerplant....Im nominating your ride for the upcoming NICO calendar...

The paintjob is pristine, like factory or better. Looking good, can't wait to see the final product.

mesojdm

please disregard the monster truck height and the temp "only for paint" rims lol. these will be going on;with blue rays nuts and new volk center caps

Also got some new gauges to match my tach;

I <3 DEFI:)

mrzabala

... wow Defi. Thats a pretty penny well spent.

exile27

Your car is now what I will use to decide what I will do with my car.

ca18datsun510
Car: bmw 330i zhp, 91 infiniti m30, 89 240sx, 07 zx6r, 05 trx450r

im not a big fan of the grill. go back to usdm!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

PURE HOTNESS!!!!!!!

Gensaiken
Car: 71 Datsun 510

I like the grill but remove that fender emblem from the grill.

What kind of wheels are those and what offset?

mesojdm

Gensaiken wrote:I like the grill but remove that fender emblem from the grill.

What kind of wheels are those and what offset?
volk racing. 16X7 +42

UPDATE************************Yes it is a floating dime:)

SHES IN!!!! welcome home:)

Houston we have a problem.....Fuel rail is hitting the hood. AHHHH. My valve cover is about 1/4-1/2" from the hood. The fuel rail is about 1" to high. Any suggestions would be great. Different fuel rail? Different injectors? Speak up!

Shifter(stock..b&m should be here soon) Fits snug

ANd....with the cover

Anyone say dynamat?

Painless fusebox, sr wire harness, fuel pump relays, ignitor chip all tucked nicely into place. When the dash is on its hard to see it unless you look hard form underneath.

More room then I thought for the radiator. Going to get the crank pully machines off isince I have done away with A/c and P/S..which will make more clearence.

Body harness and Motor harness hid away becasue I want my engine bay CLEANNNNN. Motor harness will be under the intake manifold, body harness will be off the the very left hidden.

FMIC stickin out a Little bit but who cares. Also got some rubber surround so it doesnt rub. ITS TIGHT.. but I am still going to weld on some brackets

side view...paint is aweosmeeeee

thats it for now..... ENJOI!

BLing bling'n diff.

STOCK SUCKS

MY bros project;CONVERTABLE 95 FORD AEROSTAR. YEs..the WHOLE TOP IS COMING OFF.. WINDSHIELD SHORTENED. MOTORIZED RAMP IN THE ABCK TO LOAD HIS/FIRENDS DIRT BIKES, AND GREEN ASTROTURF FOR CARPET WHEN IT RAINS.you can see the lines where its gettin choped. Probably coming off this night when he has time

koukicody
Car: 93 Mazda Miata

dude, your awesome.

this is exactly the way i would do a 510. fast and clean!

looking forward to more updates

mesojdm

Just tidying up the remaining wiring, fitting the dash pieces, making the seat brackets fit to my stock ones, I had to machine and tap a hub adapter for my wheel its 1/2 MOMO 1/2 My own creation. The momo stuck out wayyyyyyy too far so I cut it down. All the sound dampening is done and now its time for insulation. Still decing ond a fuel system I am probably going ot go with side feed:crap: but O well. the pics;

Insulation;

Seat fitted;.. seat #2 next.....

steering wheel on, you can see the custom double din housing I fabbed up, also the air vents and custom recessed DEFI tachometer

wheel off muahha best anti theft device imo;

and to conclude a rare little jem known as the Veilside titanium teardrop muffler. WOOThook a brother up!

finished the rest of the dash. Im debating weather or not this gauge setup suits this car. I had no other place to put them. suggestions, comments, questions?

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

Is the fuel rail hitting one of the reinforcement parts or the sheet of the hood itself?

ace0073
Car: 1969 datsun 510

Are u doing the R200 swap yourself? If so, or not, could you possibly document the process and post or email me the details? I am seriously considering either doing this same swap or doing a complete back half with either a ford 8.8 or 9" (leaning toward 9" due to the 'custom' factor). I have been doing research and it seems that the 9" takes a lot of hp to turn so it may be a bad idea so I am now entertaining alternate options (r200). Also, with the gauge setup, looks great to me, but it matters who you ask. Some people want that 'stock' look and dont want to put any holes in the dash pad. Personally, I like the race car look and would put the gauges right where you did. I will be posting pics of my dash soon (custom sheet metal).....some will hate that but as they say, 'different strokes, for different folks!' By the way, the car looks great!!

datsunboy

ace0073 wrote:Are u doing the R200 swap yourself? If so, or not, could you possibly document the process and post or email me the details?
I have done a writeup on my R200 conversion....http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8679

HaXoRsMoBiLe
Car: 2x 90' hatches KAT and RB20

Looks hella nice, in my opinion, the guages look great except the stock speedo. With all the new guages and that one stock gauge, it looks a bit out of place.... Defi speedo to match the tach would make it look great.glad to see some1 do things right the first time around -Paul

amolao

Awesome!!Gauges are fine, if you keep them the way they are now, simple and functional. Do not altered the dash anymore, keep it classic. I would paint the chrome faceplate on the tach to make it blend better with the cluster. Keep the OEM speedo!!This 510 is going to be on Modified Performance and others, you my friend are upgrading a classic datsun the right way.....

Miyabita_Y33
Car: RIP Sold 93 240SX Coupe Sold 93 240SX Coupe Daily 97 Infiniti Q45 Weekender 93 240SX Coupe

Ive been reading this thread for the past hour. Love this 510! Good Work man.

As for gauges I would flip the mount upside down and put them under you monitor/headunit!?!?

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”