Problem with trunk/top

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
glennA
Car: G37 Convertible (soon, either 2010 or 2011)

So a couple of days ago, I put my top down and then saw a warning that my trunk was open. I can get out and close the trunk and be fine, but it's happening all the time now.

I will take it to the dealer next week, but has anyone seen this before?

This is a 2011 G37.

thanks,
Glenn

Cobra_Kai_84
Car: 2009 G37S convertible - Athens Blue/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Nav, rear deck spoiler

if you keep your key FOB in your pocket, sometimes the key can pressed to open the trunk without you even noticing that you somehow pressed the button. It happens to me once in a while, but not often. Especially when I wear jeans and the pocket is small and the FOB buttons can be pressed without you even having your hand anywhere near the buttons. Sometimes just getting into the car, the key FOB can be pressed depending on its orientation in the pocket.

Do you keep your FOB in your pocket or in a tight place?

I have also had the FOB buttons switch off the "horn" and "beep" because the button on the FOB was pressed for more than a couple seconds, completely without my knowledge, with my FOB in my pocket. Then I would have to hold the button a couple seconds to get the horn/beep sound again when you lock the car, etc.

That's my best guess, considering my experiences, but if your FOB is out freely and you don't think the button was pressed unknowingly, then I don't have an explanation.

Cobra_Kai_84
Car: 2009 G37S convertible - Athens Blue/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Nav, rear deck spoiler

this happens to you right AFTER you put the top down? I haven't experienced that. I only notice it when I go to my parked car (usually with top up) and when I start the car it says the trunk is open. I haven't seen it do it right after a roof operation. if It only does it then, you should def take it in to the dealer. Something is up with the roof mechanism and not the FOB

glennA

Yeah, it's definitely only right after a roof operation, and my key is either in a loose jacket pocket or in the cup holder by itself.

I just need to find some time to take it in. Hopefully early next week.

glennA

found the issue, and it's probably a simple DIY fix. I'll need to take a look at it in daylight tomorrow.

The latch inside the trunk is incredibly loose. I even found a bolt in the trunk. I think it's a matter of fixing the latch with a bolt and that should take care of it.
I'll post some pics tomorrow on this.

If I can't fix it, I know it's a 10 minute fix for a competent mechanic, so I'm not too worried. I don't think any new parts will be required - i hope not.

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

glennA wrote:found the issue, and it's probably a simple DIY fix. I'll need to take a look at it in daylight tomorrow.

The latch inside the trunk is incredibly loose. I even found a bolt in the trunk. I think it's a matter of fixing the latch with a bolt and that should take care of it.
I'll post some pics tomorrow on this.

If I can't fix it, I know it's a 10 minute fix for a competent mechanic, so I'm not too worried. I don't think any new parts will be required - i hope not.
let us know and take photo and post it here. Good Luck

glennA

The part in the blue box is completely loose. I found a second bold above it today. So there are two bolts that need to be reattached. The problem is it's a very small area to work in. I doubt I'll be able to do this myself. I also don't know how to remove the top liner to get to it (without messing it up).

I'll go to the dealer this week. I'm not really comfortable using the top until I get this fixed. I would expect this to be a quick job for them.

cmesurf

The link works and the part in the blue box is the trunk lock.

glennA

I did some googling today. This is apparently a pretty common issue with infiniti and the trunk latches. One infiniti service tech even said he'd seen the bolts becoming loose over time. Mine weren't loose - mine were completely undone. Even found a few diagrams about how to remove the trunk liner.

I'm going to try to fix this tonight or tomorrow during the day. Based on what I've read, this is a 30 minute DIY fix.

glennA

Trunk is as good as new.

The issue - the latch was loose.
There's a metal plate attached to the trunk. The latch attaches to the metal plate with 2 bolts. (the metal plates attached to the trunk with 4 bolts.)

Apparently it's a common issue for the latch to come loose. In my case the two bolts holding it to the metal plate fell out (luckily in the trunk where I was able to recover them) and the latch was just dangling.

I was able to loosen the liner, reattach the latch to the metal plate and re-tighten the liner.

Only issue I ran into - space is tight underneath the liner, so when I attached the latch, I did it without putting the latch through the liner (otherwise my socket wrench wouldn't have fit). I was able to stretch the liner over the latch without ripping it and reattach everything. I was a tad worried - I almost undid the latch to put it under the liner properly, but thought about it and figured I'd be stuck either way - since I couldn't get a socket wrench in there with the liner in the way.

I can post pics if anyone's interested. I think the entire fix took me about 45 minutes, but it shouldn't have taken that long.

It took me 10 minutes to find my socket wrench.
I completely removed the metal plate as well. I did that because I figured it would be easier to attach the latch to the plate using my regular wrench. Good idea, but the area around the bolt is kinda walled in on the latch. The only way to reattach is with a socket wrench - a regular wrench will not work.

So don't bother taking off the metal plate, have your socket wrench handy before you start, and get a flat head screwdriver so you can carefully loosen the trunk liner. If you do all that first, the actual labor is about 15 minutes.

:)

Trunk opens and closes properly now. Yay!

cmesurf

Good job, i have 09 but mine latch is fine.
Thanks for your write up

Mwwhited
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37x Convertible

There is a motor or solenoid around this area that partially lifts the trunk. It seem to have stopped working as my trunk lid is now very heavy to open and hard close. Does anyone know where I can find a diagram of the mechanical and electrical systems in play?

This motor not working seems to be causing damage to the latch and causes the top to stop and transition when going open or closed (after to stops i relatch the trunk lid and it continues).

I already tightened the latch as mentioned above.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”