Problem with 08 Sentra (gas filler cover)

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
joberk89
Car: 08 Sentra
07 STi

Hey there,
Got into a car accident a few months ago (rear ended), and am left with the shaft which houses the gas cap. For some reason it shakes and rattles back and forth, and I was going through the FSM to try to remediate this issue. Can anyone think of the replacement part i'd need? I tried searching "gas cap" throughout the many pdf files for the FSM, but no such luck. Can anyone help me out? It's a very unnerving noise and I'd have peace of mind knowing the issue is solved.

Much appreciated!

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

shaft?

joberk89
07 STi

The intermediary between the gas cap and fuel tank...

TOMMY VERCETTI
Car: BANSHEE
CHEETAH
INFERNUS
ESPERANTO

If you are talking about the shaft from the gas tank to the fuel cap then, IMO I would take some wire and loop it around and tie it around the shaft then find a hook or something that is anchored to the body of the car then loop it around a couple of times and tie it nice and tight so that the Shaft will not shake back in forth and make noise. It would help if you had some pictures of the Shaft but I hope that you get it fixed. :)

SER Wes
Car: 09 Sentra SER

Right Here is the oem parts https://www.getallnissanparts.com/nissa ... parts.html

The filler neck is what you are looking for i believe. It is on that page. Fuel system/fuel system components/filler neck

1) Fuel tank 2) Protector 2.0 liter 3) Fuel tank strap Right
4) Filler hose 5) Filler neck 6) Filler neck Grommet
7) Filler cap 8) Fuel pump 9) Fuel pump O-ring
10) Fuel pump Plate

joberk89
07 STi

Looking at #5, is that something on the filler neck that secures to the chassis? I'm wondering if that's what my issue is...

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

the tube screws to the body at the bottom (bottom of item #5) and goes to the grommet (#6). the grommet attaches to the body.

joberk89
07 STi

I think i'm going to check the grommet this weekend, and go from there. For all I know, it could be that the screws aren't tightened enough. I'll be sure to post updates ASAP.

UPDATE***

Shouldn't this have something around the plastic piece?

I feel like im crazy, but i figured something should hold the gas cap in without so much play.

joberk89
07 STi

Anyone think i might need to replace #6, the grommet?

Faja
Car: Sentra 2009

joberk89 wrote:Anyone think i might need to replace #6, the grommet?
You're definitely missing some sort of grommet or gasket to hold that cap and pipe in. It should be sitting nice and flush and tight in that big hole. Was it always like that since you've had the accident? If so, the body shop didn't put it in properly!!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Yeah, Grommets usually aren't designed to keep everything in "alignment" like that, it should already be centered up before the grommet goes on.

Europorch
Car: 2009 Nissan Sentra

I know this is a really old post but hope it helps with context on what the problem is that I am having. First off, I recently joined after purchasing a 2009 Nissan Sentra for my Son. First time filling up noticed that the filler neck (Where you put the gas nozzle in to fill up) is loose. As in it can be pushed down approx. 2” when trying to put gas nozzle in. It also can move side to side a bit. Seems like a clip, screw or grommet may be missing? Nissan of course wants $195 to diagnose. Any suggestions or advise that you have to offer is greatly appreciated.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The filler tube has a flexible grommet at the top and a flexible coupling at the bottom, with a welded support down near the tank inlet. The support is probably loose or rusted away. See this diagram:
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-l ... m=172_B002

Europorch

Thank you very much for the response and the diagram it is very helpful. I have ordered the grommet filler base just in case it is that. Couple of questions for you and the group :

1) Is it a combination of the fuel filler bolt and the grommet that holds the fuel filler Assy in place? And would having just the grommet messed up cause the fuel filler Assy to be loose?
2) Can you replace the grommet without disconnecting the whole assembly?

Learning the car history, it has been in California its whole life, so i am hopeful that the bolt bracket is not rusted out. That is the optimistic part of me thinking :)

Appreciate your assistance so much!!!!!!! Thank you for the help in making the car safe for our son.

Europorch

Quick update : had the mechanic look at it. He took it apart and put in back together. Problem solved. $60. Thankful it wasn’t more. :biggrin:
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDITED

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”