Preparing for my first sr swap and build

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
fleali88
Car: 97 240sx, s14 sr20det swap in the works

So in a week maybe 2, I will be ordering my s14 sr for my 97 240, This isnt my first engine swap but it is my first sr, so, I am trying to prepare my work area and gather all needed tools, new parts, that i need. I just wanted to ask a couple of questions. I plan on replacing and upgrading a few things when i get the engine before i even remove my ka, like: install new timing chain/guides/tensioner/etc, new water pump, thinking about doing the oil pump but i may way until i build up another block later on down the road for more power, vc gasket of course, intake manifold gasket, exhaust gaskets. also new clutch/t-o bearing/pressure plate/flywheel.

I guess is there anything specifically i should check and inspect that i havent really mentioned?

also im sending the harness to wiring specialties so the harness will look factory and i dont want any issues with it.

as soon as i get the engine i will start taking pics and do my first build thread, i cant wait, thanks guys.

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

I am not an SR expert but it looks like you've covered the basics but you may want to add some rocker arm stoppers to the mix. BTW ,did you get the rod bearing in on the KA?

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

You planning on going Z32 MAF? or SR? DON'T use a SOHC KA one. Also, you'll need a radiator unless you want your engine bay to look crappy. I also recommend a water pump replacement along with a thermostat upgrade.
Modified by PyR0NiAk at 5:45 PM 3/29/2010

fleali88

sx moneypit wrote:I am not an SR expert but it looks like you've covered the basics but you may want to add some rocker arm stoppers to the mix. BTW ,did you get the rod bearing in on the KA?
oh naw lol, since my 240 should have a running sr in it with in the month , im not going to worry about it, its really not too bad, i can only hear it with no music on and if i get on it pretty good.

fleali88

PyR0NiAk wrote:You planning on going Z32 MAF? or SR? DON'T use a SOHC KA one. Also, you'll need a radiator unless you want your engine bay to look crappy. I also recommend a water pump replacement along with a thermostat upgrade.

Modified by PyR0NiAk at 5:45 PM 3/29/2010
well since this is hitting my wallet pretty hard, i'll probably stick with the sr maf until i can get a z32 one, and good idea on the thermostat, i forgot about that, and def a water pump. think i'll get a nismo thermostat. it will def be way easier doing this BEFORE the engine is in lol. do you guys think a timing chain components upgrade/replace will be necessary? I would wait until i can crank it up for the first time but that would defeat the purpose of being able to do this with the engine out lol.

fleali88

and here is where i'll be doing the swap lol,

thats the lift im using for the engine

but there will be some sheets of thick plywood on the dirt lol

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

fleali88 wrote:
well since this is hitting my wallet pretty hard, i'll probably stick with the sr maf until i can get a z32 one, and good idea on the thermostat, i forgot about that, and def a water pump. think i'll get a nismo thermostat. it will def be way easier doing this BEFORE the engine is in lol. do you guys think a timing chain components upgrade/replace will be necessary? I would wait until i can crank it up for the first time but that would defeat the purpose of being able to do this with the engine out lol.
You planning on keeping air conditioning? If not, I recommend the mishimoto thermostat. It's like $15 cheaper and it also runs a few degrees colder than the Nismo.

sx moneypit
1986 Toyota MR2

fleali88 wrote:and here is where i'll be doing the swap lol,

thats the lift im using for the engine

but there will be some sheets of thick plywood on the dirt lol
You could lift the entire car with that hoist!

fleali88

PyR0NiAk wrote:
You planning on keeping air conditioning? If not, I recommend the mishimoto thermostat. It's like $15 cheaper and it also runs a few degrees colder than the Nismo.
oh yeah, Georgia summers will kill you lol, is either thermostat better or worse since im going to keep ac?

fleali88

sx moneypit wrote:You could lift the entire car with that hoist!
haha yeah, thats my grandfathers "shop" he's sooo oldschool , that tractor runs like a champ too. im just gonna tarp over everything when im not working on it since its outside.

any one know where i can get a decent clutch setup for the low lol?

sx moneypit
1986 Toyota MR2

on keeping the AC

fleali88

while doing research on making sure i can do the wiring on this swap I figured I would take a look at my ecu and connections down there. for some reason my ecu (J7) had duct tape over the screw connectors to the ecu, i removed it and it wasnt holding anything it was just there. and i took some pics, and i want to verify this is the correct plug i will be repining, i didnt see any labels or markings on it other than what looked like D02 on the cover. heres pics.

is this the "dash plug" that needs repining when swapping the s14 sr20?

this is a good look at the connection, and it looks just like the diagrams i have been seeing, some one just verify for me , thanks.

PyR0NiAk

fleali88 wrote:
oh yeah, Georgia summers will kill you lol, is either thermostat better or worse since im going to keep ac?
I had it backward and I want to apologize... I have no clue what in the hell I was thinking. Either way, it's the heat that they affect. People complain that their heat doesn't work too well with the nismo thermostat. Considering the Mishimoto is even colder, I'm sure it'll be even worse.

fleali88

ahh lol, i was kind of wondering where you got that info lol. but now im in the market for the ac adapter bracket to use my KA compressor on the sr. anyone know where to get this?

fleali88

im buying the engine either by the end of the day or tomorrow, trying to decide on which s14 sr, zenki (red wc ecu, or black wc ecu) or a kouki (NA ecu). i guess id of course want the newest one, but i read somewhere that the NA ecu sr's dont have the CEL screw to check for codes, would you use the CEL on the dash like on obd1 cars? lol yeah im getting pretty ancy to have this engine already.

fleali88

So today I finally ordered my s14 sr . After saving money for basically since I got the car. I've been talking to Omar from dragonmotorsports.net and he's hooking me up. I'm hoping that i'll have it by next friday. and then I'll start my build with PICS lol

fleali88

so i just got an email from Omar and he sent me pics of the engine im going to get with compression results, here ya go. also im going to continue the build in this thread unless mods tell me other wise i guess lol.

so let me know what you think, i researched compression test results for a cold sr20 and thats pretty good from what i read, and consistent, a brand new sr is supposed to read 153 psi warm on each cylinder (correct me if im wrong here). peace

sx moneypit
1986 Toyota MR2

Looks good! I see its got the AC compressor so all you have to do is get the lines made and your AC issue is solved.

fleali88

i think im actually going to get the ac adapter bracket from cody on zilvia. you just use the ka compressor and bracket and it bolts right up the the sr. but im not 100% sure yet. since i ordered the motor im kinda broke lol. I probably wont be able to much to the engine when i get it other than cleaning and gasket replacing, until i get paid again lol. but i found what i need for the wiring. The wiring actually seems very simple compared to s13 swaps(this swap requires repining only the wiper motor and amp plugs, and the dash connector on the sr harness F4 or F3 i think, and extending maf and o2) ,i dont really get why more people dont make detailed guides/write ups on it for the heck of it. Im going to try and document what i do with it and where i got my info when i do it though. Im very excited

sx moneypit
1986 Toyota MR2

FR Sport has a pretty good writeup on wiring up an SR swap.

fleali88

sx moneypit wrote:FR Sport has a pretty good writeup on wiring up an SR swap.
yeah but its for an s13 sr into an s13 chasssis or s14 chassis

s14 sr is a good bit different

sx moneypit
1986 Toyota MR2

Yeah, i am not an expert on SR swaps by any means.

fleali88

sx moneypit wrote:Yeah, i am not an expert on SR swaps by any means.
lol, me either, this is my first one, but for the past 4 months all i've been doing is research on everything. Im DETERMINED to do this correctly lol, Im not the smartest guy in the world but I can turn the f*** out of a wrench lol.

sx moneypit
1986 Toyota MR2

I have turned a few wrenches myself (been a professional tech since 1977 ).I have the same mindset as you, i don't like to halfa** things.

fleali88

so i got my engine finally, it had tilted over some on the pallet, but nothing was damaged so its all good. Today we got it off the truck and on the ground (on the pallet ) and i couldnt help myself and starting taking things off lol. everything is good, also it has a nismo super coppermix clutch kit, i hope it hasnt been beat on. wiring harness is 100% complete. i got it off first. removed heat shields on the exhaust, and removed tranny/starter, clutch fan, and a few brackets. Ive decided this is what I am going to replace:

waterpump
thermostat
gaskets for turbo
exhaust mani, turbo mani gasket
clutch/FW, TO bearing
rocker cover gaskets grommets
might do a pulley kit

hers pics yo from my iphone 3gs lol

its slightly tilted but nothing was damaged

i'll be repining this myself lol

fleali88

ok here are some more pics most are using a nikon d60 so alot better lol, just let me know what you think about the condition of the clutch and flywheel to me they look pretty new.

the first thing that pissed me off (was probably my fault tho) bolt broke off inside the exhaust housing of the turbo

this is a pic up close of the slave for and throw bearing, if you look in the middle you can see a small hooked clip on the bottom and a larger swooped clip above it, are these supposed to be latched together (im gonna check the fsm also)?

anyone know if this is an oil stain from that pipe or if its probably exhaust?

the last stud on the exhaust ports came out , all the other stayed in, that normal? and also looks like that pipe next to it was dinged by the manifold. what do you think?

noticed this stain on the turbo , oil stain?, what do you think?

ecu code, black wc is a late 96 i believe

another detailed pic of the clutch, seems like alot of meat left

fleali88

heres a youtube clip of a good look at the turbo, please tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxDXnKU_jls

fleali88

another clip, of the engine though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_22FsoGhN68

fleali88

ughh now the wiring, anyone have a concrete way of doing this? Currently i have them all depinned as you can see. any help is greatly appreciated. this is the sr20det harness btw

fleali88

water pump now removed

new water pump

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”