Preparing for my first sr swap and build

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

I'm not sure about the S14s, but I know it is a b**** to drop an SR transmission out of them once everything is installed. Your clutch still looks pretty healthy, but IF you can afford a new one, now would be the ideal time to do it.

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

fleali88 wrote:ughh now the wiring, anyone have a concrete way of doing this? Currently i have them all depinned as you can see. any help is greatly appreciated. this is the sr20det harness btw
I thought you were going with Wiring Specialties on the harness,i guess you decided to try on your own?

fleali88
Car: 97 240sx, s14 sr20det swap in the works

ok the wiring is making more sense to me now, after searching for countless hours for diagrams and pinouts etc, i started to notice something, Every pinout for the f4 plug was wrong, but only wrong in the aspect of the Pin #'s they were flipped, i'll post pics to show you.

this is a very common pinout found all over the net for an s14 zenki sr20det

but its wrong, you see how pin 9 shows its purple and its a wiper?, well that should be pin 1, its like they have the color and functions viewed from the wire side but the pins are viewed from the plug side, this will cause alot of confusion lol.

and i know that they are backwards, spent 4 hours last night making sure in the FSM for a 96 silvia zenki sr20det, when every pin and function matched up but the pins were perfectly backwards.

here is the correct pinout. i just edited that same image in paint

and a more visual version (which helps a little more when re-pinning), this is also a diagram i editied in paint

almost all the f4 diagrams ive found online have the same mistake.....except 1 this guy has a blog about his s14sr into s14 swap: http://gskoff.blogspot.com/2010/04/s14- ... frame.html

and on that page there is a link to "240sx Electrical System" that is his diagram of the OEM 95 240sx f3 plug pinout, the Modified to work version (repined) of the sr's f4 plug, and finally the OEM zenki sr20 f4 plug pinout.

after i went through the FSM and wrote down what i found (triple checked this stuff) i compared it to my findins on the zenki s14 f4 pinout, and they were exactly the same, wirecolor, pin # and function.

and his 95 240sx oem pinout was ALMOST the same as my 97 240sx pinout,( there were a few color changes in the wires and a couple wires added in obd2, but it all matched up. so that being said i basically have the wiring figured out for the exception of the ac working 100% and the rear defog (pretty sure i'll just be adding in a wire from the sr ecu to the f4 plug) the ecu has a pinout for it but the wire isnt there (only came on auto's IIRC). so thats where im at right now lol

fleali88

[/quote]
I thought you were going with Wiring Specialties on the harness,i guess you decided to try on your own?[/quote]

my last post will sorta explain that lol

sx moneypit
1986 Toyota MR2

Looks like you have been doing your homework, keep up the good work! :bigthumb:

fleali88

yeah ive gotten to the point where i wont only rely on what random crapily put together information i find online, always resort to the FSM and you cant go wrong, it just makes you feel better, you find someone else online that has figured out what you have. just clarity i guess, and a little more assurance that what you have is correct information. i have a the f4 plug partially repined the way its supposed to be for the swap to work, and ill post all that later. but my confidence in the wiring went from -30% to like 90% lol.

sx moneypit
1986 Toyota MR2

Good deal !

Tecnico45
Car: * 98 5-speed 240sx
* 97 automatic 240sx

fleali88 wrote:yeah ive gotten to the point where i wont only rely on what random crapily put together information i find online, always resort to the FSM and you cant go wrong, it just makes you feel better, you find someone else online that has figured out what you have. just clarity i guess, and a little more assurance that what you have is correct information. i have a the f4 plug partially repined the way its supposed to be for the swap to work, and ill post all that later. but my confidence in the wiring went from -30% to like 90% lol.
I am new to this forum and have found its content to be extremely helpful. I am currently doing my research for my S14 SR swap and was wondering how your harness worked out. I am planning on using the wiring diagram you provided and would appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks in advance.

fleali88

s*** worked great, but it was totaled a year later but an old guy not looking. Got 8k from GEICO and got an 04 Wrx, sold that too. Got an audi, sold that too, In an 07 Mazda, while I search for another Kouki to do this all over again.

Slayer13
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX S14.5 blacktop sr2odet

fleali88 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:57 am
ughh now the wiring, anyone have a concrete way of doing this? Currently i have them all depinned as you can see. any help is greatly appreciated. this is the sr20det harness btw
Just redid the dash side of my harness, it so t pretty lmao. The factory connectors were a PITA abs I couldn’t find the male pins for the dash/FC connector so I went Molex and never looked back. To start/run you car you really only need 5-6 wires on my s13 sr at least. If you want to use the factory provisions you’re in for a world of hurt 💀.

I’d reccomended wiring specialties fuel cradle connector as well as a new 250 lph fuel pump complete with new wiring. Factory pump is kind of small and the 16 awg if not thinner wires that power it from 6 feet away ain’t all too confidence inspiring. 12 gauge is about the largest that will fit the connector but more than capable.

Also inspect/regasket your turbo drain hose. They crack and leak. So hard the reach once in the car.

Rear main wouldn’t be a bad idea with the clutch off.

I would not reccomended rocker arm stoppers. I didn’t run them and smacked the rev limiter. Threw an arm but no real damage. With them in place I believe I’ve heard of further damage, install with consideration.

It’d be a good idea to do your hot side studs.

Goodluck and have fun

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”