Preparing 240sx for SCCA STS; Wheels, VLSD, Emissions, Coil-Overs?

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
flynbyu82

I'm preparing my 240sx for the STS division of SCCA and I have a few questions. Keep in mind, I am trying to keep this as budget oriented as possible.

First off, obviously there is not a wide selection of wheels for a 4 lug 240sx, but I can't justify spending 500$ just for new hubs. Does anyone have any recommendations for 17x7.5 wheels? I have a few choices, mostly Rotas, but I am not sure on offset, any ideas?

Second, I am new to SCCA and I am not exactly sure how the class rules work. I understand that I cannot add an aftermarket LSD but how about a 240sx VLSD off of a HICAS car? My car is a 91, so from what I've read, only the HICAS cars had the VLSD. Is it legal for me to put one in despite the fact my car did not come with one from the factoy? If I can add one, are the '95 ,'96 J30 VLSDs the exact same unit or do I need one specifically from a 240sx with VLSD?

Third, What exactly is SCCA standards for emissions? I have not messed with any of the emissions on the KA because STS supposedly has to be "emissions-legal". How exactly do they differentiate between emissions legal and illegal? I assume it means no tapering with stock emissions equipment but I hate all of this clutter under my hood....

As of right now, all I really plan on doing is coil-overs and wheels (hopefully a VLSD). Probably going with the STANCE GR+ Pros. Any experiances/opinioins people can share about these would be great...

Appreciate any insight

glitched
Car: 1992 240sx se

google j-rho sts

You should find lots of info on a different forum on the sts 240sx that won the national championship a couple of years ago. there's also a GRM with it on the cover from a couple years ago.

If you serious about sticking to the rule book and building an sts 240sx, i wouldnt re-invent the wheel so to say just yet, take what he did and try to improve upon that where you can

flynbyu82

For those who are interested, it is a great read...showthread.php?t=139581

I couldn't seem to find his offset for his wheels in that thread... He does, however, address the VLSD issue and says that the car had to of had a stock option in ordet to allow you to install it at a later date. So, since my 1991 240sx coupe didn't come with a option for VLSD (correct?), I cannot legally install it.

I know there is a ton of these threads, so I do not want to make a new one about wheel offsets... from what I've gathered, 17x7.5 would need atleast a +35 offset, correct? If I end up with 17X7 wheels, what would be the ideal offset?

Thanks

Wc240
Car: 89 240
97 200sx
91 240 ka-t
06 scion xb
2000 frontier

DONT MODIFY ANYTHING!!!first, you should have went and looked at the scca FU**ING RULEBOOK before asking such questions. its free to look at, and free to (suggested) to downlaod. read it all the way about class separations and legalitys of modifications.sorry to be a d!ck, but c'mon man, you chase a car, a class to run in, and already have an idea of first modifications and you dont even know/havent even looked at what the hell it is?

flynbyu82

Wc240 wrote:DONT MODIFY ANYTHING!!!first, you should have went and looked at the scca FU**ING RULEBOOK before asking such questions. its free to look at, and free to (suggested) to downlaod. read it all the way about class separations and legalitys of modifications.sorry to be a d!ck, but c'mon man, you chase a car, a class to run in, and already have an idea of first modifications and you dont even know/havent even looked at what the hell it is?
LOL, CLEARLY my original post shows that I've decided on a class and read over the rules. The only question that I asked that I really already had answered from the rulebook was the one concerning emissions, I was just hoping to get some insight from some SCCA veterans. You act like I wasn't specific. I'm not asking anyone to build a car for me, I would just appreciate any input or opinions people can offer.

ANYWAYS... this is what the rulebook says about LSD in the STS Class...

ST, STS: No limited slip differentials are permitted except forfactory standard viscous coupler type units.

I would LOVE to put in a VLSD and from that statement, it looks like I may be able to... Are the J30 VLSD units EXACTLY the same as the 240sx HICAS? A J30 diff is much easier to find...

VRoy
Car: 93 S13 Hatch

To find one in a J30 that is going to be EXACTLY the same you have to find a 95-96 J30 i believe. The later models have a five bolt pattern on the axles, not the six bold pattern you find on the 240sx axles.

NismoRacer34
Car: s13 hatch (KA)

First off you would be in ST class since you have a back seat.

Second, why do you want to go for ST class? Most likely you will not be competitive with the lighter civics. It's fine if you're going for fun, but if you want to be competitive you may want to look into SM. I am running this next year since the 240sx is competitive and you get to swap in an sr20.

I highly suggest that you read about the J-Rho STS 240(Class used to be called STS), it is very interesting and the guy pulled off a huge feat by defeating the usual '89 civic in STS class. Anyway, you will unfortunately find out the vlsd question. The only way that you would be able to swap in the vlsd would be to swap the entire rear steer HICAS system. This is because Nissan only put the viscous diff into that package, you were not able to buy a 240sx non-HICAS with it.

For suspension, I have no experience with the Stance coil-overs, but my friend has them on his s14. IMO, they are way to stiff for auto-x. They are more suited for road racing and higher speed. I have heard great things about the Tein mono flex system, but it is a bit pricey. I just followed the others in ST class and went with KYB AGX's with ground control coil-over kits.

Daniel1

Nice technique dear....

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”