Pre wired foglights

All things Altima Coupe.
bl4ckph4nt0m
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 2.5S

I dont remmeber where i was reading about prewired foglights.. here or on the "other forum" (did a search on here, didnt find the post) .. but anywho ... i know on some of the altima sedans they have prewired foglights, all they have to do is just buy foglights and plug them in and its ready to go.

I was wondering if that goes for the same for the coupes as well, if so how do you find out?

bl4ckph4nt0m

i just realized i posted in the wrong section, my apologies.

2008AltiCoupeDan
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5s - Gone, 2008 Subaru WRX Premium - built

we have it too for the coupes-

open ur hood, open ur fusebox to the right of ur intake next to ur headlight, look for number 86/87 and if there are wires there - ur prewired. if there arent, ur not. simple as that

basically if u dnt count or w/e- there should be a pack of 4 connecters right under it, look up, and along the tally of the connections its the left side middle 2- i know theres diagrams online but this is the jist of it lol

2008AltiCoupeDan

found it-

bl4ckph4nt0m

thanks a lot 2008AltiCoupeDan!

quick question, if my AC is prewired would i have to purchase anything else besides the foglists? (harness, switch?)

2008AltiCoupeDan

if ur prewired, just stick the pos/neg terminals into the other side of ur fuse linebox thingie and viola, but u will need the stalk to turn them on lol so yes- u can easily install them and they will run w/ the wires to ur alternator/battery and u dnt have to set a separate relay or fuse.

the stalk is usually like 15-20 bucks? if im not mistaken. to put it on, u tilt ur steering wheel waaaaaaaay left , take out the screw. tilt it waaaaaay right, take out that screw, pop the plate off, unscrew the stock lighting stalk, and put this one in, and boom- u have power to fogs

http://www.nissanpartscheap.com could be a very good friend lol- thts what a lot of ppl use and has been shown in the forums for stuff like this

hope i helped

bl4ckph4nt0m

thanks a lot .. i will check it next week when i get home ... out of state for 2 weeks ...

2008AltiCoupeDan

werd have fun!

boystar22
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5S

The stalk switch for the foglights is about $125, not $15. I wish I could have gotten it that cheap!

toxik
Car: 09 Pearl White 370z

or you can just run them to your amber parking lights and it will cost $0 woooooo!

seriously why go through all this trouble?

Heels1010

if i remember correctly the only coupes th come pre-wired for fogs is the 2.5 with the technology package. any 3.5ers have the fogs already.

2008AltiCoupeDan

i have the 2.5 w/ convenience package and i was prewired- and my car was made in april of 2008

ty for my mistype on the 15 lol- i forgot a zero lol :P

boystar22

I have a base 2.5 coupe, and I was not pre-wired for the fogs or the 3.5 mirrors. The fogs are incredibly easy to wire to the factory switch. If you aren't pre-wired just run the power from both of the open spots in the fuse block (one to each bulb) and then ground the other side of the bulbs to the nearest grounding point. Once you add the stalk that controls the fogs, the fuse box becomes active.

Now as far the not being pre-wired for the 3.5 mirrors, that is a nightmare all on it own. Mine work (mostly) but its just not a DIY I would do again.

bl4ckph4nt0m

YES! .. i have 2.5 with convience package ... i will have to check when i get home ...

i hope i have it too !

Heels1010

o man thats good news. I will have to check since i have a 2.5 with the conv package.

Are there oem wires attatched to the plugs behind the headlights?If so you just plug and play? I really hope I have this I will order fogs today lol

bl4ckph4nt0m

did you check yet? is yours pre wired?

Heels1010

I am not pre-wired so disappointed I got all excited for nothing

mrodrig2
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT

2008AltiCoupeDan wrote:if ur prewired, just stick the pos/neg terminals into the other side of ur fuse linebox thingie and viola, but u will need the stalk to turn them on lol so yes- u can easily install them and they will run w/ the wires to ur alternator/battery and u dnt have to set a separate relay or fuse.
This is a really confusing post because its worded in forum-speak.

If you are pre-wired for fogs, you will have the jumper wire already in the fuse box as shown above. This also means that you will have the plugs already hanging somewhere near the foglight openings behind your bumper, they might just be taped up to the rest of the harness.

Thus, if you are pre-wired, you can purchase the combination stalk/switch intended for vehicles with foglights. Installing this stalk will automatically energize those spots in the fuse box. Then all you have to do is install the fogs and plug them into the connectors on the harness.

If you are pre-wired and do not want to purchase the combination stalk, then you will have to install the fogs just like any other auxiliary light with its own switch or tapping it into the headlights or parking lights.

If you aren't pre-wired and do not want to purchase the combination stalk, then it is the same situation as above.

If you aren't pre-wired and do purchase the combination stalk, then your fuse box will be energized. Then you can run one power wire (12-16ga) from each fuse spot 86 to one fog light and one power wire from fuse spot 87 to the other fog light. Then, ground each of those fogs where ever convenient and you are good to go.

Heels1010

you make it sound sooo easy. Anyone do a write-up on replacing the stalk to the left of the steering wheel? Also if you buy the ebay kit fog lights (oem style) with the wires and switch and all. Do u just plug the power wire directly into the 86 and 87 slots like you said?

It just seems to good to be true. are u sure by installing the stalk that the fuse slots will work to power the fogs as if stock.

boystar22

That's exactly how I installed mine. Just power from 86 to one light and 87 to the other then ground the other side of each bulb. The stalk does make the circuit become active when it is installed. Also just so you know the left and right stalks are made together as one piece so you end up replacing both anyway.

mrodrig2

As boystar said, the stalk is one piece. The BCM knows to active that circuit depending on the stalk, I guess there are some contacts on the fog stalk that aren't present on the non-fog stalk. There is a write-up on nissanclub, but not here. It really is easy - just a couple screws.

Regarding the ebay foglights with the switch & harness... as-sold, they are meant to be wired as an auxiliary light. Meaning that you wire the relay to your own choice of power source (whether that be the battery or the whatever) and use the accompanying switch to turn on or off the foglights.

If you decide to purchase the new combination stalk, then you have no need for the harness that came with the ebay kit. Reference boystar's or my post above for wiring.

boystar22

I bought the kit that came with the wires and rather than run the to the battery like the kit is meant for, I just cut the fuse and terminals off and ran them to #86&87. I knew it would be really hard to find the H11 plugs if I tried to make a harness myself so I just hacked the generic one.

Heels1010

thanks so much guys. so i'll buy the stalk and then the fogs from ebay with the wiring and cut just cut the power wire to insert into fuse slots. Do you run the power wire from the passanger fog light to the fuse box on the drivers side? also to ground the wire you just tape it off the something metal?

mrodrig2

Heels1010 wrote:thanks so much guys. so i'll buy the stalk and then the fogs from ebay with the wiring and cut just cut the power wire to insert into fuse slots. Do you run the power wire from the passanger fog light to the fuse box on the drivers side? also to ground the wire you just tape it off the something metal?
Find an existing ground point or any other bolt on the body. To ensure that you don't have connection issues, put a ring terminal on the ground wire that fits the size of the bolt. You can purchase crimp-on or solder-on terminals at radio shack, an auto store, hardware store, even target or walmart should have them in their audio or car section, you will just pay more at the fancier places.

Heels1010

i will probably just run the ground wires to the battery ground terminal just to be safe. I am still pretty newb and electrical wiring stuff.

boystar22

Just above each foglight (or below each headlight) is the grounding point for the headlights. There are several wires that all come together to ground there, so its perfectly safe to use that. Plus its very close to where you already are.

Heels1010

ok sounds good. now i just have find the write-up on install of the stalk. Also where did u run the passanger side fog light power wire? did you run it on top over to the battery or tuck it in underneath the bumper?

boystar22

I ran the passenger power wire along the headlight harness which runs just behind the top of the radiator, over to the fuse box, and put it in hole #87. The driver side power wire just coms straight up and goes into hole #86. Nothing should connect directly to the battery, by adding the factory stalk all you need is to run from the fuse box to the lights.

To change out the stalk, turn the steering wheel to the left and remove the visible screw, then turn it right and remove the one on the other side. The top of the column pulls straight up and then you can see the 4 screws that secure the stalk. Unscrew them and swap it out.

Heels1010

u are awesome thanks for the help. 1 more question? how do u plug the power wires into the fuse box. You cut the power wire and stripped the casing. How does it plug in?? thanks again

also if u have the link to the page to purchase the stalk that would be awesome

Are these the fog kit u bought? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ories
Modified by Heels1010 at 7:19 PM 11/8/2009

boystar22

Yes, those are the fogs I bought. The stalk is here http://www.trademotion.com/par...gid=0 you will have to choose if you have automatic headlights or not, then the next page will have with and without fogs, choose with.

As for the actual pins needed for the end of the wires that go into the fuse panel the easiest place to find them would be a junk yard. They are typical pins used in almost all nissan and infinity cars. I found some at a local junk yard in several mid 90's G20s they had. I just grabbed several harness connectors so i would have extras/spares. I honestly wish I knew where you could just buy them new. The extras came in handy when I installed the 3.5 mirrors though.

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”