PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Big_Tone
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x (White w Java interior; Tech Pkg)
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Custom 2 1/4” exhaust with Jones Exhaust X-Pipe
Infiniti Sport mufflers

I sent an email earlier this week and haven't heard back yet. Does anyone know the cost?

seymore4
Car: 2012 M56
Professional UPREV tuner

Your bio says you have an X, they only fit the RWD model, not the AWD

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

seymore4 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:48 pm
Ah. Good to know. Still curious to know the cost. Do you know?

seymore4
Professional UPREV tuner

2,000ish. You'll need to confirm with them tho

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

seymore4 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:47 pm
2,000ish. You'll need to confirm with them tho
Good to know. Thanks much!

Shanehsmp
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35x - Sold
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

seymore4 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:48 pm
Has this been confirmed? I know someone was going to be the guinea pig a few months ago, but I haven't seen an update in the Facebook page.

seymore4
Professional UPREV tuner

When I ordered mine in March that's what I was told, direct from the head honcho. And after installing them myself I don't know how they would be able to make a set for the AWD models. It is very, very, very tight.

If I had an X I would just hollow out the primary cats and get the rest of the exhaust made custom, that will give you a substantial performance boost and save you a lot of money.

Shanehsmp
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

seymore4 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:54 am
Passenger side
Hmmmm, based on this pic, it looks like these would fit the X, I was switching out my widebands and there was a lot of room between the manifold/converter and the prop shaft/front diff. The fact that the X and RWD use the same manifold makes me think this is a fit. By chance, do you have any other pics looking underneath into the engine/cradle?

Shanehsmp
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

seymore4 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:38 pm
When I ordered mine in March that's what I was told, direct from the head honcho. And after installing them myself I don't know how they would be able to make a set for the AWD models. It is very, very, very tight.

If I had an X I would just hollow out the primary cats and get the rest of the exhaust made custom, that will give you a substantial performance boost and save you a lot of money.
Yea I did this already, I don't like how it sounds, so it's either drop the engine, make a jig and replace the hollow cat section or buy these and hope for the best.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

seymore4 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:38 pm

I already removed the secondary cats and installed custom exhaust with an x-pipe. I also have the HPS tubes installed. Thought this would be a great way to add even more power.

seymore4
Professional UPREV tuner

808DRFTR Please email me at [email protected]... I got your PM but can't reply because you have PM's disabled.

Posting here because its about PPE headers so I figure he's following this thread

misfit77
Car: 2013 Infiniti M56

i really want to cut those restrictive baffles in the rear cats.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

I followed up with PPE again and was told they’re working on headers that will fir the M56x. Sounds like they will have them this year. The PPE header doesn’t include cats, so you’ll either connect to the secondary cats (if you still have them) or get aftermarket ones. I removed my secondary cats, so option 2 is what I’d have to do. This also appears to be what’s in the video review. I noticed that the CEL was on. Is that due to the cats or something else? I need to pass emissions, so if this mod is going to throw the P0420 or P0430 then I can’t do it. Anyone know if this would be the case?

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

Big_Tone wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:57 pm
I followed up with PPE again and was told they’re working on headers that will fir the M56x. Sounds like they will have them this year. The PPE header doesn’t include cats, so you’ll either connect to the secondary cats (if you still have them) or get aftermarket ones. I removed my secondary cats, so option 2 is what I’d have to do. This also appears to be what’s in the video review. I noticed that the CEL was on. Is that due to the cats or something else? I need to pass emissions, so if this mod is going to throw the P0420 or P0430 then I can’t do it. Anyone know if this would be the case?
Yes installing the headers will trigger those codes. Whether or not you decide to go with aftermarket cats, you will need to have it tuned to adjust your A/F ratios. Not sure about the VK56VD, I know a tune can also be adjusted to keep the CEL from coming on if you decide to leave the cats off on the LS platform.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

armybrat wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:47 am
Big_Tone wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:57 pm
Yes installing the headers will trigger those codes. Whether or not you decide to go with aftermarket cats, you will need to have it tuned to adjust your A/F ratios. Not sure about the VK56VD, I know a tune can also be adjusted to keep the CEL from coming on if you decide to leave the cats off on the LS platform.
Ok thanks! My plates renew in July and I’m not sure if I’m going to have to test again (just did last year). I’m trying to keep track of everything I’ll need if I do this. My CEL just came on a couple weeks ago. I had just bought some gas that I think was cheap, so I bought a cleaner and cleared the code. So far, so good, but at 122k miles I know it’s inevitable that the cats have to get replaced. Trying to gauge the cost between this option and OEM.

armybrat
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

Shanehsmp wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:51 pm
seymore4 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:54 am
Passenger side
Hmmmm, based on this pic, it looks like these would fit the X, I was switching out my widebands and there was a lot of room between the manifold/converter and the prop shaft/front diff. The fact that the X and RWD use the same manifold makes me think this is a fit. By chance, do you have any other pics looking underneath into the engine/cradle?
According to the parts websites I've looked at, you are correct in that the RWD and AWD share the same manifold part number. They also share the same Y-pipe part number. However, they do have different motor mount and motor mount bracket (left and right) part numbers. They also have different transmission mounting hardware. All of this this could affect the fit of the headers relative to the chassis, steering and other AWD components even though the manifold part numbers are the same.

armybrat
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

Big_Tone wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:15 pm
Ok thanks! My plates renew in July and I’m not sure if I’m going to have to test again (just did last year). I’m trying to keep track of everything I’ll need if I do this. My CEL just came on a couple weeks ago. I had just bought some gas that I think was cheap, so I bought a cleaner and cleared the code. So far, so good, but at 122k miles I know it’s inevitable that the cats have to get replaced. Trying to gauge the cost between this option and OEM.
Yes you have to pass an emissions test every year before you can renew your plates. Test results are uploaded to the DMV database so you won't be able to complete the transaction otherwise. As far as cost, in addition to the headers, you'll need a set of cats and probably a set of O2 wiring harness extensions since the existing ones will probably be too short because the headers will put the cats further downstream. You'll need to figure the cost of removing the manifolds and installation of the new parts and tying everything into your existing mufflers. Then add tuning which is around $550 or so plus a $200 core patch if your ECM is not supported. You might be able to delete the cats if the O2 sensors can be tuned out. That part I'm not sure about on the VK platform. When I had headers installed on my CTS-V I had the option of cat delete tuning but I chose to go with a 3" hi flow catted X-pipe instead.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

armybrat wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:07 am
Big_Tone wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:15 pm
Yes you have to pass an emissions test every year before you can renew your plates. Test results are uploaded to the DMV database so you won't be able to complete the transaction otherwise. As far as cost, in addition to the headers, you'll need a set of cats and probably a set of O2 wiring harness extensions since the existing ones will probably be too short because the headers will put the cats further downstream. You'll need to figure the cost of removing the manifolds and installation of the new parts and tying everything into your existing mufflers. Then add tuning which is around $550 or so plus a $200 core patch if your ECM is not supported. You might be able to delete the cats if the O2 sensors can be tuned out. That part I'm not sure about on the VK platform. When I had headers installed on my CTS-V I had the option of cat delete tuning but I chose to go with a 3" hi flow catted X-pipe instead.
Yep. According to PPE the headers are $2,100. Adding the cost of high flow cats at approx $250, a tune with patch (if necessary) and I'm at $3,100 for parts. That's approximately the cost of parts and labor to replace the existing manifold. Depending on if I can find a reliable shop with a decent labor rate I just might do this.

Shanehsmp
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

Big_Tone wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:38 am
armybrat wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:07 am

Yep. According to PPE the headers are $2,100. Adding the cost of high flow cats at approx $250, a tune with patch (if necessary) and I'm at $3,100 for parts. That's approximately the cost of parts and labor to replace the existing manifold. Depending on if I can find a reliable shop with a decent labor rate I just might do this.
I gutted my primary cats because they were near dust....I also replaced my Y pipe and added in hi flow cats from a mustang (2 way cats, we need 3 way to get rid of all the odor)....anyhow, I added these, o2 defoulers and I have not received a 420/430 code once. Mind you, I still need a tune as the car cannot compensate enough for the larger freer flowing exhaust and tends to over-fuel at idle due to a lean condition.

https://www.mandrelbending.ca/collectio ... l-catalyst

I was also hoping PPE would have confirmed the AWD option, they told me they'd have it confirmed as of last week. ...so I guess it didn't work?

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Shanehsmp wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:13 pm
Big_Tone wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:38 am

I gutted my primary cats because they were near dust....I also replaced my Y pipe and added in hi flow cats from a mustang (2 way cats, we need 3 way to get rid of all the odor)....anyhow, I added these, o2 defoulers and I have not received a 420/430 code once. Mind you, I still need a tune as the car cannot compensate enough for the larger freer flowing exhaust and tends to over-fuel at idle due to a lean condition.

https://www.mandrelbending.ca/collectio ... l-catalyst

I was also hoping PPE would have confirmed the AWD option, they told me they'd have it confirmed as of last week. ...so I guess it didn't work?
Based on what they sent me a couple weeks ago, they said they'd have it done soon. There wasn't a specific date.

Bikerforlife27
Car: 2008 Infiniti G37 S coupe

trayday wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:16 am
armybrat wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:58 pm

Since Ken mentioned the Scat Pack in his video...just for comparison, that car uses a 2-3/4" dual exhaust stock from the factory that is sized and tuned for 485 hp performance with room to grow. The M56, well we know that exhaust is sized for 420 hp luxury not performance. Just installing the headers and 2-1/2" X-pipe opened up the flow quite a bit and made room to grow. That with the HPS hoses and tune you're at Scat Pack stock performance. Ken's M56 is probably at the maximum hp for a stock engine so the 2-1/2" exhaust sizing is good enough IMHO. If you go further and build the engine then a larger exhaust diameter should be considered.
I'll build a 2.75" so we can see if there's benefits, since it doesn't seem it's been done on our 5.6 staying NA. If it's boggy down low, ill make adjustments. It's just hard for me to get past the stock 5.7 Tundra motor gaining 48whp/89wtq with LTs/3" exhaust.

There's a guy running 700 hp on his stock motor turbo car, so I'm not worried about the motor not being able to handle it.
I don't think the tundra engine is tuned to 400+ HP, and 400+ TQ from factory, could be where some of that additional HP and TQ are coming from.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

I followed up with PPE today. They are taking orders for the M56x headers and said there’s about a 10-week turnaround. Not sure if I’m going to be able to do it. That’s running up against the time I need to have my emissions checked to renew my plates.

armybrat
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

Big_Tone wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:05 pm
I followed up with PPE today. They are taking orders for the M56x headers and said there’s about a 10-week turnaround. Not sure if I’m going to be able to do it. That’s running up against the time I need to have my emissions checked to renew my plates.
For now, determine what DTC you're getting. If it's a P0420 (driver's side) and/or P0430 (passenger side) DTC, get some O2 sensor extenders from Amazon or Ebay and install them in the affected O2 sensor port. Reset the code(s) with a scanner tool or go to an auto parts store and they can do it for you. If you car is like mine it will pass emissions no problem. Then you can take your time to explore the header option. There are several inexpensive handheld scanner tools available - I would invest in one just to have around the house to be able to troubleshoot your other cars too.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

So, I haven’t been able to find a shop that is able to do the job. As a backup, I called Infiniti of Orland Park to get a quote on getting both sides replaced with OEM parts. In the past the quote was around 3k. Today? 12k. Insanity. Inching closer to pulling the trigger on PPE. Does anyone in the Chicago area know of a shop that would do this job?

seymore4
Professional UPREV tuner

Big_Tone wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:54 pm
In the past the quote was around 3k. Today? 12k. Insanity.
After doing the PPE header install myself I'm certain Infiniti would drop the whole motor to install new OEMs.

If you do go for them get with me for a tune afterwards!

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

seymore4 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:03 pm
Big_Tone wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:54 pm
In the past the quote was around 3k. Today? 12k. Insanity.
After doing the PPE header install myself I'm certain Infiniti would drop the whole motor to install new OEMs.

If you do go for them get with me for a tune afterwards!
I'll definitely make a note to reach out to you. Are you in Illinois?

seymore4
Professional UPREV tuner

Big_Tone wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:39 am
No, we do it all remotely. All you need is a windows laptop

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

seymore4 wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:09 am
Big_Tone wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:39 am
No, we do it all remotely. All you need is a windows laptop
Any chance you could help me find a shop that’ll do the job?

seymore4
Professional UPREV tuner

I would just start calling around. I don't know anyone in IL

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

seymore4 wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:34 pm
I would just start calling around. I don't know anyone in IL
Yeah, I have. So far no luck.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”