Possibly buying a Q50

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
darien87
Car: 2018 Maxima SV
Ksport Coilovers, Akebono brakes

Hey Folks,

I have a 2018 Maxima SV and I HATE the FWD and I'm scared that the CVT will implode. I've been looking at Q50's near me but it's been hard to find one that has heated seats and parking sensors.

There is a 2015 3.7 AWD with 23,000 miles for $28,500. How is the realiability of the AWD vs. the RWD? I've never had an AWD car before. There's also a 2018 Luxe that has the features I'm looking for but it's like a 5 hour drive away from me. I might go check it out this weekend.

Common issues I've seen online for Q50's say turbos and serpentine belt. Anything else to look out for?

macgiver

my short answer ... a very high price , extra $$$$$$ going for the AWD aspect , AWD adds 300+ lbs , Sterling Moss , I think said " given equal Power/Weight , the lighter car will almost always be the BLAST to drive " . AWD more to possibly fail / ++ more upkeep . I just mean 2015 ?..... nears $$$$30k ???? Just try RWD ONLY ver. then the AWD to compare , and just maybe your locale/conditions /weather that you actually need AWD .

I recently picked up a powerful V8 Bimmer , I would definitely be Bummered if they had put AWD in the one I got!!!!!

darien87

I'm up in the Bay Area, Northern California. It just rained for the first time in years. Definitely don't need AWD for the traction.

I've driven Mustangs my whole life so RWD is definitely what I'm more comfortable with.

macgiver

I bought my '14 AWD SV Juke , AWD for two reasons
1)I researched the CVT's used in these cars and learned the AWD's use a significantly stouter unit (Jatco still ? I think)
2) The FWD only has a crappy SOLID rear axle , like a I-beam peice of you know what = ride like a PT cruiser

Finally , owning Juke AWD gives a 5-link rear suspension which seals da deal. 3180 lbs 183 HP/175 tork too.
But with adequate power to the wheels , I go for RWD any day my no-brainer is plugged in LOL
Bimmer 650i 3814 lbs 360 HP / 360 tork , open diff........ my plaything.

darien87

Unfortunately all the Q50's I've looked at in my area that are in my price range are stripped down models, (no heated seats or parking sensors for $29,000). I just found one that is $1,600 less than the 2018 Q50 I was looking at up here that is fully loaded. It's 300 miles away though.

Planning to drive down and check it out on Saturday. Hopefully it's still there.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Used car prices are currently elevated across the range.
and your 2018 Maxima is a very nice car.
Your CVT will not explode,... by all accounts the Maxima's CVTs are quite reliable.

but I can understand the attraction to the Q50, its a very nicely designed package and in my opinion also reflects the original Maxima sprit quite well.

The Infiniti AWD systems are fantastic.
They dont add as much weight as many competing AWD systems in other brands, yet seem to be very reliable and long lasting.
(it does not add 300 lbs like in competing brands systems but less than 100)
I dont recall having heard of a problem specifically with the AWD system in an Infiniti for years, if ever and I "live" on Nissan/Infiniti forums.

Plus unlike, say, the Acura AWD they are RWD based (so RWD plus front axle added rather than the other way around) which makes them a purer solution to a sports sedan.
If I was shopping for a Q50 again I would consider the AWD significant added value and start my search with the AWD models.

(I very nearly bought a Q50 earlier this year but in the end went with a less expensive vehicle, still not sure if I made a good choice or not)

macgiver

Very good info from Palmer , the RWD is 'base' and the front comes in as the 'helper' . Unlike my Juke and I believe many , or most of the AWD platforms out there . Ya infinity been RWD most part :gapteeth: And as far as his knowledge on added weight , reliability, then , yeah , prices all around are simply elevated now.
Thanks for the education Palmer !! :facepalm:

PalmerWMD

macgiver wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:08 pm
Very good info from Palmer , the RWD is 'base' and the front comes in as the 'helper' . Unlike my Juke and I believe many , or most of the AWD platforms out there . Ya infinity been RWD most part :gapteeth: And as far as his knowledge on added weight , reliability, then , yeah , prices all around are simply elevated now.
Thanks for the education Palmer !! :facepalm:
Thank you for the kind words mcgiver :yesnod

PS: I just looked up the difference in curb weight of a 2018 Luxe RWD vs AWD, its 154 lbs so I was incorrect with saying "under 100" but its still lighter than competitors systems :)

macgiver

I wish I had a buck for every time I type fast - INFINITI - and comes out infinity

:bang

PalmerWMD

Autocorrect owns me too.
I wish we had at last a day to edit our posts... :whistle:

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”