Popping noise inner cv joint/transaxle

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
Bolt45
Car: 2005 Nissan Quest SE

About a month ago I had to replace my driver side cv axle because the inner half joint boot had came loose and grease was everywhere and the car started to vibrate horribly while driving. I replaced the cv axle with a new one and everything was fine. Then just a few days ago, I noticed a loud popping sound when I placed my car into reverse while on an incline. I took the tire off yesterday on the front driver side and recorded a video of the cv axle as my wife shifted from park to reverse over and over. I also noticed a lot of play in the transmission while shifting gears so not sure if a worn motor mount is an issue. I recorded another video of the engine from the top side to show the amount of movement while shifting gears. I'm not sure if the cv axle is the issue or if its a motor mount or some other problem I'm not aware of. While sitting with my foot on the brake, if I shift from reverse to drive repeatedly, I don't hear any loud popping noise with the tires on the vehicle. When I begin reversing I hear the pop one time if I accelerate quickly, if I reverse slowly it won't pop. Then when I put the car in drive, it pops when I accelerate and only does it once. There is no popping while driving other than when switching from park to reverse and vice versa. Hopefully someone is familiar with this issue or may know something I can check to figure out the problem. Thanks!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/M5fd-_Fuf_M[/youtube]

[youtube]https://youtu.be/HUEN5-gHB-A[/youtube]

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

I'd be looking close at your lower rear trans mount...........they tend to hang the engine/trans in place like a childs' swing on a swingset now, and the lower rear mount then acts like Dad holding the child back in the air just before letting him go. That mount chiefly stops all engine rotation.

Return to “Quest Forum”