POLL: Would You Buy Another Nissan?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.

Would You Buy Another Nissan?

FIT & FINISH IS POOR
10%
TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS
15%
ENGINE PROBLEMS
4%
DRIVE-LINE PROBLEMS
6%
POOR BUILD
13%
POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AT DEALERSHIPS
12%
FAILURE TO WARRANTY CLAIMS
4%
I WOULD BUY ANOTHER
35%

Total votes: 341

markirwin
Car: 2016 Nissan Versa

I will not buy because I love my new 2016 Nissan Versa.

AmetSound
Car: 2016 Rogue SV AWD moonroof and tech package

No, not a hope in hell. This is the first non-North American car I have bought, it will be my last. I have a 2016 Rogue SV AWD. Excessive road noise in passenger compartment. Total lack of insulation and sound suppression by design to reduce costs. Vibration from transmission at low speed and gradual acceleration . Dealer claims this is a design characteristic in order to get the vehicle into a higher gear ratio quicker to improve fuel mileage. But the large issue is the upper strut bearings, They required replacement after less than 5000 km. Second set lasted 5 days. It has been one month and still waiting for allegedly redesigned parts. This was an issue in 2014 and 2015, why is there still a problem?? The dealership service department has been great, NIssan Canada, not so great.

Perkie

No I wouldn't buy another Nissan, I have a 2015 Rogue SV AWD, in the snow it can't hold a candle to my Subaru AWD for traction and handling & both had dedicated winter wheels and snow tires. I live in the UP of Michigan and we get a lot of snow, the Rogue is a nice car but as long as our winters are I felt more at ease driving the Subaru, If I lived somewhere snow wasn't a issue I would buy another Nissan because I would't need AWD.

Rogue Noob
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

2008 Nissan Rogue here, girlfriends car and it has been hell for a variety of reasons. CVT recall, electrical issues with window switches, tailgate switch rubber rotted away, driver seat won't recline anymore, engine mounts, bushings all bad now, just changed LCA, now have to change bushings that are on the skirt/subframe. this is on a car with 130k miles. All in AZ, a place with little to no weather, outside of the heat and a few inches of rain a year.

Compare that to my car which is a 2007 Honda Element with 144k mi, easier to work on, cheaper parts, less trouble. Nissan is like the CHrylser of Japan, all looks, no reliability.

math
Car: Rogue 2016
Titan XD 2017

AmetSound wrote:No, not a hope in hell. This is the first non-North American car I have bought, it will be my last. I have a 2016 Rogue SV AWD. Excessive road noise in passenger compartment. Total lack of insulation and sound suppression by design to reduce costs. Vibration from transmission at low speed and gradual acceleration . Dealer claims this is a design characteristic in order to get the vehicle into a higher gear ratio quicker to improve fuel mileage. But the large issue is the upper strut bearings, They required replacement after less than 5000 km. Second set lasted 5 days. It has been one month and still waiting for allegedly redesigned parts. This was an issue in 2014 and 2015, why is there still a problem?? The dealership service department has been great, NIssan Canada, not so great.
After 3000 miles with a new Rogue 2016 I can tell the car itself it is not so bad. But dealer attitude overall supported by NIssan, is making it a bad choice. Mechanical problems mentioned are not dramatic if treated by an honest, professional organization.
They only try to reduce price and increase profit :confused: Which does damage the service and real value of those cars.

QCtech
Car: 2003 Pathfinder LE

Nissan seems to have a big problem with their electronics longevity. They build good mechanical engines, and their body designs seems nice, but they negate the any goodness they do in both this areas by designing harnesses and electronics that dont last along with bodies that corrode easily. Mix that with the wrong attitude of the dealers toward clients, and specially toward clients that have bought nissan before, and then you will find out why people are leaving nissan for other brands that respect their clients and have some more common sense in their designs. I guess since their aim is the japanese market, they dont expect or think they need their electrical hardware to last more than 5 years. If they could find a way to keep it simple stupid, with more mechanical ingenuity and less electrical nonsense, and make it last, and at the same time honor and respect their clients, they would be # 1. But they won't follow common sense. They are on the make a dime fast wagon and that is why in the truck department, I will have to go back to the American built market.

kthompson1004
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue

Not long ago, I would have said yes. I'm
driving a 2015 Nissan Rogue with 65,000 miles on it, which I bought new after owning an Altima that I put 170,000 miles on in about 4 years. But the Rogue is starting to have problems and I'm not getting good help from the dealership. An odd rattling noise has turned up, which comes and goes, and it's only getting worse. It's very hard to tell if it's in the engine or somewhere in the driver side door or sunroof (I know that sounds odd, but with our crazy weather, it's hard to find a place to drive it where it's quiet enough to really hear the source). The service techs are clueless but I can tell it's not good and only getting worse. Some interior features are starting to show wear like a MUCH cheaper car and the response is basically a shrug of the shoulders and hand out for my credit card. I bought the extended warranty and was led to believe I'd be well covered, but now I'm thinking maybe not. I had planned to put close to 200K on this car but if it's going to start giving me trouble less than a third of the way there...I've done every bit of the service by the book. Very disappointing.

d3dude
Car: 2007 Versa SL, 2012 Rogue SV

YES, but I didn't think I would. I was a GM guy, and I purchased my first Japanese car, a brand new 1971 Datsun 510, that went to the wreckers with only 60,000 kms. Completely worn out engine and suspension. Said I would never buy another Japanese car. After having a rental Versa, I was so impressed I purchased a 2007 Versa SL that now has 335,000 kms. I have also purchased a 2012 Rogue SV that now has 148,000 kms. Obviously greatly improved since 1971. :dblthumb:

krehztim
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

I want to love this car so bad, but I would NEVER buy a Nissan, and my uncle works at the plant in Tennessee. 2009 Rogue - CVT issues, they replaced the transmission, but blew out my ECM during the switch. Had to fight tooth and nail to get that fixed. 15k miles later, and I basically have no passing gear. And, accelerating from a stop, I top out at 45 mph, RPMs between 4000-5000, can't get it into overdrive. This is aside from having the doors not open and break in the cold TWICE. The latest issue is the passenger door handle - it completely broke off last week, and the inner parts just fell into the door frame. Anytime I accelerate, the rattling is embarrassing. Looks like the whole exhaust system needs replacing (I've already replaced the rubber insulators). I love the handling, and when the transmission worked, I loved it. Way too many irritating problems now, and sadly, I will never even think about Nissan again.

sagasha
Car: 2017 Rogue SL

It's early but so far, absolutely.

2017 Rogue SL

pie-rogi
Car: Rogue 2010 AWD SL

2010 SL 97k miles. i'd say no, the nissan experience is worse than GM IMO..in the last 7k i've found the upper strut bearings, control arm, cv axles, wheel bearings all needed replacement, and still a differential squeak when in reverse while turning..nissan service just sucks though and techs just propose replacing pricey whole units or blaming your 'other' mechanic for doing a crappy job and costing you some bogus repair(same dealership, different tech worked on it..) the part price to quality ratio is horrible 700 for half shafts, 60 bucks for a fan belt??!! 30 for a pcv valve.. :bs: cha ching!
yet its still managed to run through 120 to -20 weather sometimes 12 hours straight and no fail safe modes, no rattle rattle ping. its gone barefoot in snow, creek washes, slick rock, kept on pluggin which for that i love it.

its impressive having done all this while in the routine care of the local stealership that couldn't diagnose a bad bearing if their fingers fused to the burning hub. :gapteeth:

PRS

philipp55 wrote:Absolutely!
I am now on my 14th Nissan (If you count my Datsun PU as a Nissan) and cannot find anything else for the price with the same reliability / overall satisfaction.
What models and model years have you owned?

My first was the 1999 Maxima, it ran like a dream, and still does, 17 years later. It never had any real issues (aside from the "engine coils" which was a known issue).

I've had two Rogue SL Premium leases (since owning the Maxima), the 2015 and now the 2017.

They run amazingly nice. No real complaints, aside from wishing they had a bit more HP/power. But if I had to sacrifice MPG for more power, I'd keep it as is.

I love all of the tech (and newest tech) features in the Rogue! I decided to upgrade my Rogue early, to get all of the new tech features! :BnB:

:banana:

:badger

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Coming from a Honda environment, I do love the looks of my 2016 Rogue SL and especially the Artic Blue Metallic. However, after roughly owning the dang thing for 2 years, I am starting to hate the car, but also loving it at the same time. As a result, I will not be buying another Nissan. Here are some of my pros and cons with the current Rogue we have:

Cons:
1) Unlike the Hondas that I have, the bluetooth picks up the annoying CVT noise (which Nissan didn't lowered that noise at all) and gives me a headache while talking to a family member who is driving the car. 2) It is sooooooooo freaking slow, that my 1999 Accord (has 150 horsepower) is faster than this and it cannot catch up to traffic on the highway that fast. 3) It is extremely boring to drive, even with music on. 4) How the heck Nissan designed the wiper control arms, because it is literally chipping off all the paint from the hood when I lift them up. 5) HU could be moved slightly up so that I don't have to bend my head down to look at the map while driving. 6) Sport mode is mediocre at best. 7) Probably has the WORST transmission and engine pair in automotive history IMO. 8) I am very picky about this: Unlike Honda, there is NO LOCK OPTION for the glove box!!! 9) More hard plastic than I expected. 10) Loudest car I have ever driven.

Pros:
1) Great gas mileage for both city and highway driving. 2) A reliable engine underneath the hood. 3) Fast response on touch screen and music. 4) Fastest HU to connect to any device. 5) Simple to use. 6) Around-view monitor, but that's only helpful for my parents, as I don't like to use cameras while I try to park the car. 7) Great looks (ABM with dark gray SL rims). 8) ECO mode feels like a traditional automatic.

hu_guy

If they actually adopt Android Auto, I'd at least consider them again.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

I'm not mad at the build quality or anything like that, just bored with the brand. Just so much "blah" coming out of there right now.

datechboss101

Ace2cool wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:24 pm
I'm not mad at the build quality or anything like that, just bored with the brand. Just so much "blah" coming out of there right now.
I totally agree with you 100%. Nissan need's to step up their A game and make cars that are better than Toyota and also not screwing up in any department (the Rogue, the Juke, and the new Kicks are great examples of how much they screwed up in a certain department).

SanMan814
Car: 2017 Rogue Sport SV

I only bought my Rogue because the price was right and it was a perfect commute car.... If I had it my way I would have got myself a 1500 Ram with a Hemi. BUT for the money I think the Rogue does the job. I do recommend it to friends.
So to answer this poll question...YES

SanMan814
Car: 2017 Rogue Sport SV

datechboss101 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:00 pm
Ace2cool wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:24 pm
I totally agree with you 100%. Nissan need's to step up their A game and make cars that are better than Toyota and also not screwing up in any department (the Rogue, the Juke, and the new Kicks are great examples of how much they screwed up in a certain department).
Agree , I think Toyota is a better car. But they don't lease well. Only reason why I got the Rogue over the Rav4

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Yeah, changed my answer, for the record.

nissan-cvt-rant-from-the-people-who-kno ... 18974.html

nelix_ca
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue

Yes, I would but definitely not from the same dealer. When I bought the car, they told me Nissan standards were higher than the safety checks we have here. So I was told that I would receive four new tires because they didn’t pass Nissan standards. Found out I only got two new tires and they came back with the excuse that the sales person didn’t tell me that.
So much for business there and that is the second one I bought from them! Never again.

far raf
Car: 2005 Nissan Quest SE (standard? simple? edition - i.e. nothing special)

I currently own the 2005 Quest which has been the best vehicle I ever owned. Until it wore the timing chain tensioners and I have to invest $2000 to have that fixed while the van itself is worth just as much. I was hoping to drive it for several more years, but now I realize that every 120k miles any Nissan chain driven engine would need a costly maintenance, which is ways more expensive than the timing belt kit install on other engines. I would still buy another used Quest with low mileage, but never ever a new Nissan.

NinjaBiscuit
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue Platinum AWD

rabidus
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue
2012 Nissan Quest

I love the CVT transmission in my 2011 Rogue and would buy another. I'm not sure if I'd like the fake shift points on later CVT's, so 1st gen for me. With O/D off, the revs hang and the throttle is extremely responsive.

I bought my Rogie used 2 years ago. My transmission seemed to overheat on a long drive. Months after(6 months), I drained and filled with Valvoline CVT fluid(130,000 miles). Not sure if it's the original transmission. The wine is gone and I drive it like I stole it everyday to work and back. My commute consists of about 15 minutes of nice twistie roads. The highway takes the same time to get to work, but is no fun. I bought the Rogue with stock size Fuzion SUV tires(460 treadware) already on it, I will buy another set.

O/D off, the fun begins. TCS off, the fun continues.

I also own a 2012 Quest.

Zorriea
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue

Nope never again. Car was great next to no issues and now everything at once. Drivers airbag in the seat needs to be replaced $2200. AC stopped working $900-2500 to fix depending on what’s wrong. Starter relay or wiring is bad, even diagnosing could cost over $1000. Short in the electrical from the subwoofer which has caused a skip in my sound on everything except Bluetooth calling since I got the car. The heated seats were installed upside down from manufacturer. Rusting above the front windshield started 2 years after buying the Rogue. Roof rails trim broke off, I have never used them or put anything on my roof before even so they’ve never even been touched.
I loved this car to drive but any repair is extremely costly and to be loaded with all these issues as soon as I paid it off is I shot in the head it feels like. I would recommend Nissan cars are not long term cars but buy and sell within first 3 years. Sad because they feel great to drive.

datechboss101

After owning 3 Nissans, I came to a census. These vehicles are great econoboxes, and I wished my 2016 Rogue wasn't totaled. But just the brand and customer service itself, well, they have lost a repeating customer. I finally got my dad on board to look at other brands, not Nissan, after the amount of BS their dealers were giving me (making a little problem worse, saying electrical issues that were obvious is working as designed, etc) was the nail in the coffin for me with this brand. Would I give Nissan another chance later down the road? Possibly, but ONLY if their products and customer service and dealership-client network improved.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

My current Nissan (my 17th or so, if we count Infiniti) is at 153,000 miles and has never had anything break with it at all.

drosen86
Car: Silver 2013 Rogue SV AWD

100% yes. I'm on my fifth Nissan. I've had a 2010 altima, 2013 Rogue sv awd, 2012 versa sl, 2016 altima, and now my 2019 Rogue

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Not at present. I've owned 30+ Nissan products. After the mid-90's, I simply don't think their quality has kept pace with other players in the market.

For everything on their lot currently, I can name a better-engineered, more reliable, comparable vehicle for the same price.

Hate to say it, but I'll stand behind it until they prove otherwise.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Update,

since I answered this poll I bought another Nissan:
topic628296.html

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Absolutely. I guess I’ve always got the nissans that were built when the QC dept was on the assembly line. Started out with a Datsun and just bought a 2021 altima. I even bought an 03 Altima 2.5 and never even knew about the precat issue. When the car was totaled at 176k it never used a drop of oil and still had the original alternator. I still have an 09 Altima that has miraculously remained rust free, even living in Ohio. I bought a 2008 impala back in 2010 and recently sold it. Every weekend was sanding door sills and applying fluid film to keep the thing from rotting away. At 138k i had replaced cv shafts, wheel bearings, alternator a couple of sensors and the sunroof motor. The engine itself (3.9) was pretty bullet proof, but was other wise nickel dimed to death. It rode like a Cadillac but required maintenance like a classic Harley. The only real issue I had with any of my nissans was a cvt replacement on the 09 at 95k, which was covered. Truth be told, a fluid change probably would have fixed the whine but I wasn’t taking any chances. I found a motor for that same 09 that matched the mileage of the cvt (34k) and swappped it out in a weekend. Now my soon to be 16 yr old son will have a rust free Altima with low mileage when he starts driving. I’m ocd on maintenance, always use idemitsu and an oem or fram ultra filter and am slowly replacing all the wear out parts on it. I replaced the front and rear shocks with Gabriel’s, not oem but not bad at all and just did timken wheel bearings on the front. Last brake service I installed raybestos eht pads and rotors all around and slapped on a set of Michelin defenders. I’d honestly drive that car across the country and not hesitate. I do a drain and fill on the 09 (5.5qts) every chance I get. So far I’ve used valvoline, idemitsu and eneos. I hit the valvoline cvt fluid sale this last fall so am set for yrs to come. Now the 2018 rogue and 2021 will have dealer service every 30k until the warranty is up. My dealer has a program that if you service the cvt every 30 then they’ll extend the factory warranty to 120k so why not.

Edit.
My only real grip with the 2018 rogue and soon to find out on the 2021 are the hankook tires. At 40k the rogue is pretty much in need of new shoes. I rotated every 5k and kept the psi at 33lbs religiously. My 09 came with continentals and lasted to 65k and still had some life. The rogue will get Michelin energy savers in the next few weeks.

Return to “Rogue Forum”