Play DVD's on Nav Screen ('09 - '11)

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

jstick wrote:Finally got around to doing this mod. I now have 3 working dvd screens while driving! Thanks a bunch to all who contributed, all of the info was very helpful.

It truly is a mod worth doing on any vehicle with the DVD player and the Nav. It truly makes sense and it allows to really be able to use the full function of both of these features.

jstick
Car: 2010 Nissan Murano LE

Just got back from a 3000 mile road trip. Having the ability to alter the nav while driving was great. Never did watch a movie while driving though, as the wife was playing my conscience and berating me for even thinking about playing that while driving. Oh well, guess I'll have to show that off during the next guys night out.

I ended up putting the switch under the center stack since the only switch I could find was red. Didn't want it to look like something out of the Batmobile.

Timmbo

jstick wrote:Just got back from a 3000 mile road trip. Having the ability to alter the nav while driving was great. Never did watch a movie while driving though, as the wife was playing my conscience and berating me for even thinking about playing that while driving. Oh well, guess I'll have to show that off during the next guys night out.

I ended up putting the switch under the center stack since the only switch I could find was red. Didn't want it to look like something out of the Batmobile.
I like your humor!!!! LOL, play some movies for the boys on the next getaway trip!!!!

MtnWest
Car: 2010 SL Murano AWD
Glacier Pearl

jstick wrote:Finally got around to doing this mod. I now have 3 working dvd screens while driving! Thanks a bunch to all who contributed, all of the info was very helpful.
This is what I am looking for... Couple of questions for you. The DVD headrests are Invision SL-7s? Were they factory installed or did the dealer put them in?

I ask because it seems goofy that they do not feed video to the in-dash display (dealer installed anyway). The audio from Monitor A plays through when AUX is selected on the head unit but no video. Plugging into the cars AUX jacks defeats the Monitor A audio and allows whatever is connected to be displayed. While it works there is no way I am going to leave a patch cable hanging off the front of one of the monitors ( Monitor to Cars AUX input).

A more elegant solution would be to add another switch. Assuming the connection between Monitors A and B is merely passing composite level video and audio, you should be able to add a parallel feed from the Control box that has each monitor/dvd player output. Output from the switch then jumps into the A/V harness allowing the selection of monitor A or B to be displayed in-dash.

Anyone have a schematic or working knowledge of the Invision Sl-7 Control box? Are the monitor to monitor connections composite signals? Would sure be nice.

Thanks to whoever knows

jstick
Car: 2010 Nissan Murano LE

Yes they are the Nissan offered headrest dvds. They were installed by the dealer where I purchased my Murano.

After they replaced a bad control box for the headrests, I am now able to watch movies while driving on the nav screen via the center arm rest rca jacks and my switch that I installed. You can't see the video from the headrest dvds on the nav screen, I specifically asked that question. You can, as you stated, listen to the audio from them through the car stereo via the aux setting on the head unit. You also can't watch video on the headrests from a source plugged into the rca jacks in the back of the center arm rest.

Hope that helps.

MtnWest
Car: 2010 SL Murano AWD
Glacier Pearl

Thanks jstick. I was afraid of that. Time to figure out what it is going to take to hijack video/audio directly from the Invision control box.
One switch to pick A or B for in-dash display an one to enable full Nav/video on the go.

I wonder if invision would sell me a SCBX-4010-A to play with?

Teefussurf

Hi I have a 2009 SL Non-Nav.

Just looking to complete this hack but want to double check I'm disabling the correct wires, but many of the original pics on this thread are now dead links. Can anyone repost or PM the photos so I make confident cuts instead of continuing to second guess.

Thanks for everyones help. Can't wait to have this working!

Timmbo

Teefussurf wrote:Hi I have a 2009 SL Non-Nav.

Just looking to complete this hack but want to double check I'm disabling the correct wires, but many of the original pics on this thread are now dead links. Can anyone repost or PM the photos so I make confident cuts instead of continuing to second guess.

Thanks for everyones help. Can't wait to have this working!
In all honesty, your best bet is to use the Factory Service Manual. This will keep things cut and dry for you. Here is a link to the FSM: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Murano/2010/

Teefussurf

Thanks for the link.

Based on the info on AV-157 of the FSM, I gathered that the parking brake is the green wire in terminal 106 and the vss is the violet wire in terminal 107.

Is this what other's have found? Just want to make sure that out of the hundreds of pages, I found the right info and not some red herring before I make my cuts.

Thanks!

Timmbo

jiminmaine wrote:I would like more information on how to use navigation system while car is in motion, as well as the same for my music box and ipod.

Thanks,

Jim
There is a lot of information here in the Murano Forum on how to do this. What you need to do is install a DPDT switch that will interrupt the VSS (vehicle speed signal) wire and the Parking Brake wire. The whole mod can cost you less than $15 or $20.

Teefussurf

Thanks. Just needed help determining which wires were the right ones. Got it working in the end.

RUNFAST84
Car: NISSAN MURANO, NISSAN ALTIMA COUPE

I have a '10 Murano SL without Navigation. I still have the screen and the Emergency brake restriction. Since I do not have the nagivation would there be a reason to add a switch for the speed wire? Could I just cut it and ground the E-brake and be done with it. Thank you for your impute- Rick

Timmbo

First off, welcome to NICOclub! Glad to have you join us here the Murano Forum!

There is still a Speed wire, there is the feature of the Speed Sensitive Volume, so you still have to break both wires and ground them. Not that it is needed, but I would suggest still using the DPDT switch. Should you have any warranty work needed, it is nice to be able to flip the switch and have the vehicle in a 100% stock position, but many have gone with out the switch and just grounded the two wires.

Timmbo

I have been getting several questions on this, YES, performing this mod on the 2011 is the same as the 2009! AV unit comes out the same way and you once again tap into the VSS wire and the Parking Brake wire.

Please post any questions you have here! I prefer the messages to be posted vs: a private message because that way others can learn from this information.

THANKS AND ENJOY!!!!! :bigthumb:

cass2115

Got a question. I got all the needed supplys and attempted to complete this project on my girlfriends 01 Murano SL with nav and tech package. Get to the AV unit was not problem. Once I got the AV unit out I could not find the VSS and Parking Brake wire. I have look in the 2010 FMS countless times and it say with nav it should be #36 and #38 in a 20 pin plug. without nav #105 and #107 No green and violet wires there? Can someone post a pic of the wires and plug for the 2011. Thanks in advance

Timmbo

What I can tell you that I have found, is that the colors are not always correct, but the PIN numbers have been right on. Make sure you have the right harness, there are usually a couple on the back of the AV unit, but based on the number of pins you should be able to figure it out. Like you mentioned, have the FSM manual or that page right there.

Let me know if you have more questions!!!!

cass2115

Ok here is a follow up on this 2011 SL with nav and tech package. I was looking at the 2010 FSM since the 2011 wasn't posted here. Well I got the 2011 FSM now will try to upload it, anyway yes then pins have changed to #65 and #82 but also there is another change I saw and not sure how to work around yet the parking brake volt are now reversed
Parking brake is applied. 4.5 V
Parking brake is released. 0 V
and most of the other wires are 5V or 3V so no just connecting it to them. Any Suggestions?

Here is a copy of the AV file goto page - 324

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8567860/2011_mu ... ano/AV.pdf

Timmbo

I don't know a ton about electrical and how this works, but is it possible that it sends the volts once it is grounded? Meaning you should still follow the same instructions using the DPDT switch.

???????? I would try it, but I am nit an expert on this.

cass2115

Finally figured it out so just wanted to post for everyone. Yes the mod will work on the 2011. I completed the mod last night. The pins are #65 light green and #82 violet for those with NAV that is. Other than that it works eaxtly the same as the previous post here. Awesome mod highly recommend it and its not to diffucult just make sure you have the correct pin numbers from the correct FSM and all will be fine.

Now to finish this VDC Switch mod to have that perfectly OEM look, and this will be the greatest mod ever!!

Thanks everyone for all the post and helpful info!!

Timmbo

jiminmaine wrote:I would like more information on how to use navigation system while car is in motion, as well as the same for my music box and ipod.

Thanks,

Jim
You came to the right thread! This is as simple as I can make it....... Install a DPDT switch breaking the E-Brake and VSS wires. At the flip of a switch you can go from stock, to modified position, allowing full Nav menu and being able to watch video while in motion.

BillArf
Car: 2011 Murano LE AWD

Sure wish I could follow this thread... I want to do the override on my 2011 Murano LE with NAV. Anyone care to clearly do a how to here. Again, it seems the info is in this thread but I am not able to sort all out. Need instructions for a 2011 LE with NAV. Thanks! -BillArf

Timmbo

It is pretty much just like the thread instructs. You need to cut the Parking Brake wire and the VSS wire going to the back of the AV unit. Install the DPDT switch that connects these two wires to the vehicle Ground when the switch is on. When the switch is off the vehicle will be in the stock position because you will have the other ends of the Parking Brake and VSS wires attached to the last two poles on the DPDT switch..

BillArf

On my 2011 Murano LE, I just installed a nifty kit that with a click of a separate remote I am able to turn on the rear camera when I am driving/moving forward. Another button click allows me full, unrestricted use of the NAV system and my phone system. Another button click and I can play DVD movies from the NAV unit while the vehicle is driving/moving. The kit I installed is plug and play, no cutting of wires and takes most anyone about 35 minutes to install. (No more Nissan dictating what features I am able to use)

Timmbo

Big question, how much did that cost? Sounds nice though!

BillArf

Timmbo wrote:Big question, how much did that cost? Sounds nice though!

If you have an idea of what such electronics can cost, the price for the kit is very good..

Price: $149.99 plus shipping ($10.95 US Priority Mail, $45 International Express Mail)
Kit will only work with the 2011 Murano with NAV

Contents of kit for the 2011 Murano with NAV displayed in the following two pics:

Uses 4 button remote
Button 1 overide the Parking Brake Sensor (the kit can also be configured so this is permanently over-ridden)
Button 2 override the Speed Sensor
Button 3 Activate the rear camera (if installed) without needing to be in reverse

Timmbo

That is a pretty cool option for those looking for an easier install, not bad at all!

BillArf

Timmbo wrote:That is a pretty cool option for those looking for an easier install, not bad at all!
Indeed, a terrific kit that does just as I hoped it would. The kit which only works with the 2011 Murano with NAV is well made, clean looking. As I mentioned, It took about 35 min. to install. So, easy-easy to do. The 2011 Murano is very easy to disassemble to gain access to do this kit install. I'd say pretty much anyone that can read very simple instructions and turn a phillips head screwdriver can do the install. So simple to do.... no technical skills, etc. needed. The fellow really made a terrific, well thought out kit. For what he is charging $ wise, it is a steal in my opinion. As you can see I'm really happy with the kit and what is does. I make lots of 1,000+ mile trips in the course of a year, use the NAV (now without restriction) lots so..... of course I can now have full use of my phone too. Also, when I tow I can click a button on the remote, camera turns on and I can view the hitch and check my Harley to assure tie downs are still in proper position... My passenger can watch DVD's now also.. :biggrin: Another terrific thing about this kit is it is totally non-invasive. No cutting of factory wires, etc.. When at a Nissan dealership's Service Dept. they would not have a clue the kit was installed. Unless you click the kit's remote the vehicle behaves as any vehicle without the kit would behave. Guess another point is when you sell the vehicle you can very easily remove the kit if you desire and resell it.. :crazy:

Timmbo

Sounds very good! One question......why does it only work on the 2011 Murano?

BillArf

Timmbo wrote:Sounds very good! One question......why does it only work on the 2011 Murano?
The connector used on the kit's harness will only work with the 2011 Murano. The connector on the 2010 and older Murano's is different and will not work with the harness in this kit for the 2011 Murano. To my knowledge, the fellow that makes this kit is not considering doing a kit that would work with the connector on 2010 Murano's for example.

BillArf

In about 8 mins and 10 or so screws removed later you easily access the AV unit. Connect the kit (plug and play...easy) and then just reassemble (easy) and the install is complete. Below are some pics of my '11 Murano LE with NAV bearing all during the kit install.. By the way, you don't even need to disconnect the battery prior to install. Do keep the Nissan key fob a distance away from the vehicle though to avoid unintentional ignition turn on. 8-)

Return to “Murano Forum”