Play DVD's on Nav Screen ('09 - '11)

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Here are KJSmitty's photos:

Remember, these are pictures of a NON-NAV model, the wiring harnesses are different on the Nav model!

KJSmitty
Car: 2009 LE

Now where did those come from......

Thanks Timmbo,

All, if you have any specific questions about any of the above let me know.- For those with Navi, it shouldn't look much different at all besides possibly the amount and/or shape of the connectors/harnesses attached to the back of the AV controller.

- I believe I mentioned above, 15 minutes of my mod time were strictly allocated to ensuring I had the right connector and wires. This was no more difficult than counting the possible wire/pin holes on the connector and comparing that to those presented in the manual. After that, matching up the color of the wires, not only the two in question, yet the surrounding wires/colors, helped to definitively validate my choice etc..

Cheers

Timmbo

Hey Kerry, not to toot my own horn, but you have to admit, I am pretty good! LOL All jokes aside, thanks for all of your input, I really do appreciate it!

MHarris68

Great pics. They will go a long way in helping me do this mod. One question I did have was where exactly did you mount the switch? I am sure there are plenty of locations possible but, I am curious where you placed yours. Thanks.

Timmbo

MHarris68 wrote:Great pics. They will go a long way in helping me do this mod. One question I did have was where exactly did you mount the switch? I am sure there are plenty of locations possible but, I am curious where you placed yours. Thanks.
Welcome to the Murano Forum, glad to have you as a member of NICOclub!

You can mount the switch virtually anywhere, some like to mount it on the lower dash, some on or near the center console, I prefer a more concealed location such as just under the dash. Depends on the size and type of switch as well.

KJSmitty

Here is what I did MHarris68,

I just used the existing plug/empty slot. I may even order another VDC switch and remove the white label then install that etc.. :-)

Cheers

MHarris68

Thanks for the picture. I hadn't even considered using the existing open switches. Did you use the on-off-on or just the on-on switch and what size switch was it. Sorry for all of the questions but, this is my wife's Mo and I just want to make sure I don't mess it up. Just curious...are you worried that if ever the Mo needs to go in for warranty work that they will discover the mod and deny the warranty coverage?

KJSmitty

Mine is an "On-On" switch yet as you can see even though "On-On" I ordered it labeled "- / O" for "On-Off".

As for size its only 1/2 inch wide by 3/4 long.

Warranty concerns: Sure, but that's going to be a risk anytime you perform a mod like this. The only way one could mitigate a warranty risk is if a plug and play harness was available. Trust me, if I could have come up with both the female and male sides of the connectors, I would have built one. This way you could just unplug if a AV controller issue arose etc..

I have no concern that my mod will actually cause an issue with any of the components. - My concern would be if by random or typical failure, one of the audio/video components developed an issue. It could be something completely removed from the mod, yet the dealer/Nissan could claim the mod was the cause and I could easily have to pay for the repair. All you can do then is have your dealer "in writing" tell you specifically "how" your mod caused the failure. And the battle would begin - and it's not easily won by the customer - primarily due to the effort/time/money involved. I would also not hesitate to accept my responsibility if I did cause an issue.

When it's all said and done, it's my car and I will do what I want to make it what I want. It's just sad that the manufacturers use issues like this to prevent covering "justified" warranty claims. On the other hand, many consumers have tried and succeeded in fraudulent warranty claims after causing the damage - thus it goes both ways.

It is a risk no matter how you slice it - but I consider it a very small risk.

Cheers

Timmbo

As usual, I couldn't agree more with KJSmitty! The mod will not affect or cause any issues, but, at somepoint the service dept. at your Nissan dealer could (and I stress could) possibly use the mod against you, although it is surely something I would not worry about.

jiminmaine
Car: 2009 Murano LE

I would like more information on how to use navigation system while car is in motion, as well as the same for my music box and ipod.

Thanks,

Jim

KJSmitty

jiminmaine wrote:I would like more information on how to use navigation system while car is in motion, as well as the same for my music box and ipod.

Thanks,

Jim
What more would you like to know Jim?

The above modification allows you "while driving", at the flip of a switch, to manipulate your navi and any other EOM preferences/functions that are normally blocked/"grayed-out" while the car is in motion.

Once you have made your selections/adjustments you flip the switch off and continue etc. Basically the switch tricks the unit into thinking the vehicle is not moving and/or the parking brake is set. - With a "non-Nav" Murano/Nissan you could just make applicable wire connections and forgo the switch. Yet with a nav equipped car you need to go back to OEM configuration after you have made your selections in order for the nav system to "know you are moving",- it will not calculate your position/route without the speed sensor input etc.

Cheers

Charty

So I'm sure of the steps..... from looking at the pictures.....It's pretty easy to see what plug to unplug from the main unit. And then it's pretty easy to see what green and purple wires to pull out to the side.Is it as simple as:1) Cut purple & green wires2) Use a 4 wire USB cord. Do colors matter here? Looks like you went Green to Green, Purple to White closest to the plug and Green to Black and Purple to Red on the other end.3) Tape up connection, plug the connector back in the unit.4) Run wire over to unused small panel left of the steering wheel.5) Remove cover to small swich panel, install a standard Radio Shack type switch. Do wire colors matter here and are there instructions on the switch itself? Do you cut the panel cover (to fit the switch) and re-use it?

I'm assuming the battery should be disconnected for the above steps.

Also, for a non-nav unit, is it as simple as cutting the purple and green wires nothing else, and that would have it work 100% of the time?

I like the option of having it work 99% of the time to factory specs and only using it on road trips.

KJSmitty

Charty wrote:So I'm sure of the steps..... from looking at the pictures.....It's pretty easy to see what plug to unplug from the main unit. And then it's pretty easy to see what green and purple wires to pull out to the side.Is it as simple as:1) Cut purple & green wires2) Use a 4 wire USB cord. Do colors matter here? Looks like you went Green to Green, Purple to White closest to the plug and Green to Black and Purple to Red on the other end.3) Tape up connection, plug the connector back in the unit.4) Run wire over to unused small panel left of the steering wheel.5) Remove cover to small swich panel, install a standard Radio Shack type switch. Do wire colors matter here and are there instructions on the switch itself? Do you cut the panel cover (to fit the switch) and re-use it?

I'm assuming the battery should be disconnected for the above steps.

Also, for a non-nav unit, is it as simple as cutting the purple and green wires nothing else, and that would have it work 100% of the time?

I like the option of having it work 99% of the time to factory specs and only using it on road trips.
See attached picture. I drew it up quick so hopefully its understandable. :-)

Basically the colors of the wires within your USB/cable don't matter. You just need the right wire of the harness/connector (Green/Violet) to make its way to the right switch connection/location.. You must use a DPDT switch for the proper switching and separation of G and V circuits etc.

Just make sure that G1 in my picture goes to G1 on the switch and the same with G2, V1 and V2 etc.. Just remember, with a rocker switch, with the rocker pressed in the up position its the middle and lower switch connections that are joined. When pressed down, its the middle and upper connections that are joined etc..Thus in my picture, when the switch is in the down or "OFF" position, all you are doing is making the OEM configuration as in G1 to G2 and V1 to V2 etc. When in the up or "ON" position you are sending the parking brake lead(G1) to ground and just disconnecting the speed sensor lead(V1) input. Its really that simple. :-)

Double check your wiring/color matches numerous times before finalize your work!! Doing it wrong may have no effect other than it not working as desired, or it could be much worse...

Switch install: I pulled the switch assembly from the dash then removed the "blank" black plug. I then used my dremel to cut a nice square hole in the blank "plug" where my switch would pop in. Routed wire through the switch panel hole in dash and through the "blank plug" hole in the switch assembly, soldered wires to switch - popped plug with switch back into the switch assembly then installed assembly back in the dash.

- ON NON-NAVI only (NAVI needs the switch): If you don't use a switch you must cut both wires yet still ground G1 permanently.

"I like the option of having it work 99% of the time to factory specs and only using it on road trips." EXACTLY my thoughts... It also allows you to set the clock and other functions etc while moving..

Let me know if you have questions.

Have fun

Charty

KJSmitty wrote:
See attached picture. I drew it up quick so hopefully its understandable. :-)

Basically the colors of the wires within your USB/cable don't matter. You just need the right wire of the harness/connector (Green/Violet) to make its way to the right switch connection/location.. You must use a DPDT switch for the proper switching and separation of G and V circuits etc.

Just make sure that G1 in my picture goes to G1 on the switch and the same with G2, V1 and V2 etc.. Just remember, with a rocker switch, with the rocker pressed in the up position its the middle and lower switch connections that are joined. When pressed down, its the middle and upper connections that are joined etc..Thus in my picture, when the switch is in the down or "OFF" position, all you are doing is making the OEM configuration as in G1 to G2 and V1 to V2 etc. When in the up or "ON" position you are sending the parking brake lead(G1) to ground and just disconnecting the speed sensor lead(V1) input. Its really that simple. :-)

Double check your wiring/color matches numerous times before finalize your work!! Doing it wrong may have no effect other than it not working as desired, or it could be much worse...

Switch install: I pulled the switch assembly from the dash then removed the "blank" black plug. I then used my dremel to cut a nice square hole in the blank "plug" where my switch would pop in. Routed wire through the switch panel hole in dash and through the "blank plug" hole in the switch assembly, soldered wires to switch - popped plug with switch back into the switch assembly then installed assembly back in the dash.

- ON NON-NAVI only (NAVI needs the switch): If you don't use a switch you must cut both wires yet still ground G1 permanently.

"I like the option of having it work 99% of the time to factory specs and only using it on road trips." EXACTLY my thoughts... It also allows you to set the clock and other functions etc while moving..

Let me know if you have questions.

Have fun
Thanks, that helps a lot. I have a friend that is an engineer at a switch company, so I'll probably have him give me a hand.

Just so I understand the drawing, in your case, you needed to make sure you tracked what tied to V1, V2, G1 & G2, which ended up being like this:V1 = White V2 = RedG1 = Green G2 = Black

Thanks for the help.

KJSmitty

Charty wrote:
Just so I understand the drawing, in your case, you needed to make sure you tracked what tied to V1, V2, G1 & G2, which ended up being like this:V1 = White V2 = RedG1 = Green G2 = Black

Thanks for the help.
Exactly Charty

Timmbo

As always, KJ is the man! Thanks again for being a wonderful member of NICOclub!

KJSmitty

Thanks Timmbo,

Just trying to help if/when I can.

Cheers

sputnik23
Car: 2000 Maxima SE, 2009 Murano LE

KJSmitty wrote:Here is what I did MHarris68,

I just used the existing plug/empty slot. I may even order another VDC switch and remove the white label then install that etc.. :-)

Cheers
Just found this forum today, and am already looking forward to ripping open my wife's Murano this weekend, thanks to your awesome instructions! I'm also trying to figure out where I'm gonna stick the switch - I like your idea about using an extra VDC-type switch, but A. I'd need to figure out how to rig that with a DPDT push-button switch and B. I have little-to-no experience doing anything like this

Found the switch, for just under $30: http://www.everythingnissan.co...gid=0
Modified by sputnik23 at 10:27 AM 3/30/2009

Timmbo

You don't even have to go with a Nissan switch, a black rocker style switch from Radio Shack works just as well and is only about $5. Either way you can't go wrong, and it is a fairly simple modification.

bigdumbanimal
Car: 2009 Murano SL

Hello All- I'm new here...just leased a 2009 SL AWD w/ everything but nav. I'm very interested in this mod as a way to display the song/album/artist/cover art info from my Zune via the rear RCA jacks on my front screen. I do not have much interest in video as I'm having a hard enough time paying attention to the road since my previous car was a 6-speed manual

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you might have on ways to do this mod w/o setting off red lights when I return it off lease. Since I do not have nav, it doesn't sound like I'll need the switch. Any way to accomplish the end goal here w/o noticably cutting wires? I realize this will be behind the dash...but I'd rather not have Nissan finance ream me if they somehow figure this out when the lease is up.

Thanks in advance.

sputnik23

bigdumbanimal wrote:Hello All- I'm new here...just leased a 2009 SL AWD w/ everything but nav. I'm very interested in this mod as a way to display the song/album/artist/cover art info from my Zune via the rear RCA jacks on my front screen. I do not have much interest in video as I'm having a hard enough time paying attention to the road since my previous car was a 6-speed manual

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you might have on ways to do this mod w/o setting off red lights when I return it off lease. Since I do not have nav, it doesn't sound like I'll need the switch. Any way to accomplish the end goal here w/o noticably cutting wires? I realize this will be behind the dash...but I'd rather not have Nissan finance ream me if they somehow figure this out when the lease is up.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not familiar with the Zune's output method, but I doubt that it would be able to send that kind of info to the video inputs on your Murano...

sputnik23

Charty wrote:<snip>Also, for a non-nav unit, is it as simple as cutting the purple and green wires nothing else, and that would have it work 100% of the time?</snip>
For a non-nav unit, is there a need for the switch? i.e. is there any time where I'd need the radio/computer to know that it's moving?

bigdumbanimal
Car: 2009 Murano SL

Thanks for chiming in. Actually, the Zune is very similar to an iPod in that it can output video. I have it hooked up now to output AV into the Murano's RCA jacks on the back of the console. I can play video as well...assuming the parking brake is engaged.

With that being said, any thoughts on the cleanest way to do this w/o assuming too much risk at the end of my lease? I realize there is some risk with any mod...but this is obviously a pretty benign mod.

Thanks again everyone...great stuff in here.

Timmbo

bigdumbanimal wrote:Thanks for chiming in. Actually, the Zune is very similar to an iPod in that it can output video. I have it hooked up now to output AV into the Murano's RCA jacks on the back of the console. I can play video as well...assuming the parking brake is engaged.

With that being said, any thoughts on the cleanest way to do this w/o assuming too much risk at the end of my lease? I realize there is some risk with any mod...but this is obviously a pretty benign mod.

Greetings from NICOclub bigdumbanimal! Glad to have you aboard here in the Murano Forum! The mod is very simple and well worth the small amount of time! Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

sputnik23

bigdumbanimal wrote:Thanks for chiming in. Actually, the Zune is very similar to an iPod in that it can output video. I have it hooked up now to output AV into the Murano's RCA jacks on the back of the console. I can play video as well...assuming the parking brake is engaged.

Hmm...not sure what I was thinking when I posted before - and I'm a fairly rabid anti-Applee. Sorry, and good luck!

Elliott2

Hi, I may be able to help with the first post on this, I was the original designer for the twin roof unit rear seat entertainment system. I can still supply parts for those of you who cannot get there system serviced by Nissan anymore, or can supply and fit a new system, twin units in the roof or headrests. A word of warning for people of swapping their headrests for none standard ones with TV's DVD etc built in. these types of headrests hve not been crashtested in the car, if there was a problem in an accident Nissan and your insurance company can void their warranty and policy......I have designed systems for Volvo, Nissan, BMW etc. Hope this helps, Peter

jayhawk
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano SL AWD, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, Datsun 240Z

KJSmitty, How did you know which terminal block on the back of the AV unit (in your picture) was the correct one to use?

I'm trying to find (on my SL with Navigation) the iPod wires in the terminal blocks and am about to pull the dash apart. (to see if I can add iPod integration to my SL)

But I have noticed that the Terminal Layout diagram for your ("Bose Audio without Navigation") vehicle (page AV-146) does not match the physical arrangement in your photo. (the number of terminal blocks are the same, but they are not in the same physical positions). So how did you figure out which terminal block on the back of your AV control unit had the particular wires you were looking for?

(I'm trying to save time when I open my dash up and not try to count connections or something like that.)

Thanks! --Jayhawk

Timmbo

It is very clear which block to tap into once you have the head unit removed. Just make sure you have the service manual close by or on your computer screen for quick reference.

teknochic067
Car: 2009 Murano

I thought the car had to be in park to do that......

teammcw
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano SL AWD

For those that are worried about warranty service and being able to do the mod WITHOUT cutting anything, it's possible.

You will need some precision screwdrivers or strong pins and you will need to remove the wire from the connector. I haven't taken mine apart yet to do this, but if it's anything like any other vehicle, then the wires are snapped into the harness via small tabs. You can push these tabs to extract the wire out of the harness.

Once the wire is out - you can do as you please - and all without having to cut anything. If you need to restore it, just push it back into the harness (you may need to push the locking tabs back depending on how much force you used).

I've done this on my 2000 Pathfinder when I added a wireless audio unit to it, just in case. When I do this mod to my Murano, I'll be doing it the same way.

Return to “Murano Forum”