Piston choice most people don't think about

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
LandrethRacing185
Car: 1986 Corolla ae86
Ca18det powered

I have done alittle research and everybody normally gets aftermarket ca pistons

We'll imma motorcycle/atv mechanic and I was looking into other piston choices

There are couple 83-85 mm pistons in motorcycles but only 2 bikes take a

83-85 mm piston
And 20 mm wristpin
Cr500 won't work due to 2 stroke engine

Older hyabusa pistons
Stock 81 bore 20 pin
They make up to a 85 mm big bore in cp,je
pistons

My thoughts was why not get hyabusa turbo pistons 84mm

The skirts would be shorter less drag

Not as much longevity but if a nigh hp motor less drag= better rev and more hp

Just my thoughts anybody eels like to chime in

dhen
Car: MGA w/ CA18DET

interesting. There was some guy in South Africa who used Honda pistons because that was all he could get.

Why would there be less longevity? I have no idea what the compression ratio would be on these things.

LandrethRacing185
Ca18det powered

Just in theory the longevity would be less due to a shorter skirt length and possibly fewer compression rings depending on the piston

Most the time the shorter the piston skirt the quicker the piston will wear down to a point where the piston will want to rock back and fourth in the cylinder

But if some hyabusa people are are running for 20-30kmiles (guessing on how long) on pistons then a lower revving automotive engine would probably last 40-50 (also guessing)

You can order any compression ratio for that bike the only thing I can't figure out yet is a pin - dome height

I would probably have to have a 12-13to1 piston to equal a 8.5-9.5 in the ca18

Izento
Car: RPS13

With a shorter piston skirt, I think thermal capacity would be quite a bit less, making them wear faster. Also, shortening the skirt is primarily beneficial when increasing the stroke of the motor.

Here is a very good link that I recommend everyone checking out as it has information that I think even a guru can learn from (maybe even sticky worthy):

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2005/06 ... e-pistons/

(this one is just for a kewl factor)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfNR4kGhChs

These gave me a ton of information about pistons and basically answered all of my questions. They even talk about gapless rings, which I believe someone on here is about to run (Float?).
In the end, I don't see these motorcycle pistons as a particularly good enough benefit, especially since they aren't even cheaper.

LandrethRacing185
Ca18det powered

I agree on them not being cheaper.. For me they are around 60 $ cheaper

But it's one of the random things that if u come across a set cheap that it might be a possible choice
They do come up new cheap on ebay sometimes

Buddyworm

I'm with Izento on this one. Can't see why you'd go through the hassle when you can buy something off the shelf for the app.

Now if those bike pistons have, say, a shorter compression height so we can run a longer rod things get more interesting...

LandrethRacing185
Ca18det powered

well according to my very breif investigations

the pin to deck height appears to be shorter so it is posible to run this pistons with longer rods just unknow rod choice
but then you can also order up storker kits so

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”