Autocross AE86, pics/vids (and my AE86 chronicle thread)

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
flohtingPoint
Car: 2004 Z16 Corvette Z06

Project on an indefinite hold, as the main owner is now deployed in afghanistan.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

ah s***!

what's he have to do there?

flohtingPoint

Mr1der wrote:ah s***!

what's he have to do there?
Fix planes and collect a tax free paycheck =)

gabossie
Car: Your mom

Bah! We look foreward to his return. In the meantime, get some pics of those clubs and the table!

Mr1der

good deal.

cowboy up and ride the bull again.

dsm007
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx SE

Mr1der wrote:yeah...I took the beer goggles off....

she looks like she'd be ok in a dark room though...
Shoot I would still do them,especially if I was their first american guy,didnt ya know Trojan had to make a rubber for europeans cause they complained the rubbers kept falling off during intercourse?......they wouldnt know what to do with one of us lol...sorry if it offends anyone but I had to express that.

gabossie

HA! Sounds like dsm here has a little complex...

Mr1der

beats me....

I hate condoms....

PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

Well...if they'd be that way over an American dsm Imagine a black Bahamian male str8 from the island with lots of conch in his system didja watch Eddie murphys (I believe it was in the 80's) standup show? remember his impression of a Bahamian dude? HEH HEH HEH

Mr1der

rofl...time for you to fall asleep yet?

flohtingPoint

Found some more pics plus video of it starting for the first time. Processing them now, be up tonight or tomorrow!

continental_drift
Car: 1991 240sx coupe - in progress - zeal function V6, ssr formula reverse, trust SP. more to come.

this thread is ****ing awesome, way to bring that **** back! I saw the techno toy tuning sticker on the levin front 86, is one of you from nor cal?

flohtingPoint

continental_drift wrote:this thread is ****ing awesome, way to bring that **** back! I saw the techno toy tuning sticker on the levin front 86, is one of you from nor cal?
I'm from Phoenix and Jay is from Florida. My parents (and my red 240sx while I'm in Germany) live in Cottonwood (near Redding), if that wins us any points =)

Mr1der

we'll get greg to take it!

One_Love
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx

someone should just delete it then

Veriest1
Car: '96 M3 and '93 240 coupe dd

So have you played any golf recently. I still want to see those clubs you made.

sensibleS13driver

continental_drift wrote:I saw the techno toy tuning sticker on the levin front 86, is one of you from nor cal?
werd, thats random... techno toy tuning

flohtingPoint

Veriest1 wrote:So have you played any golf recently. I still want to see those clubs you made.
Course is closed until late April I believe, we've been getting craploads of snow =/ Clubs are at our rented garage I believe, somewhere in the back of the shop right now as they were used once in Dec I think, I'll have to find em.

Ok, so Hockenheimring opened last month, so did the Corollas motor. I toasted it on lap 3. With our poor dilapidated Corolla out of service, we decided to look around for a new motor. It was just our luck that we happened to come across a GTi-16 in a junkyard with a pretty clean looking 4ag. The replacement began...

Jay and I woke up rather late the first day, so we only planned on removing the old 4ag that day. Both rocking monster hangovers, we were rather the chipper bunch that day =/

We pulled up into our bay and began unloading the car and getting out our tools and such.

The motor we harvested from the GTi-16

After unloading, we started unhooking everything from the old motor so we could get ready to hoist it out.

It was at this time that we noticed that just about everything on the transverse 4ag's were different than the longit mounted one. With very little time left in the day, we packed up and planned to swap everything over and drop it in the next day.

12pm is the earliest we can get into our shop, so right at 11am we arise hung over once more to make it to the shop on time. I slept in the bathtub that night, so I was feeling extravagantly crappy.

Right after we arrived, we went to work pulling everything off the long block. EVERYTHING had to go. Injectors used different connectors, same with the distrib, alternator uses a different bracket, water pump and lines are different, etc. Too lazy to splice and rewire, we just transfered it all, even though it meant we had to re-time it, I was far too apathetic to bust out my multimeter and electrical tape.

After hooking up everything to the new 4ag, we went to go bolt the tranny, but then noticed another annoying difference. The rwd tranny has an alignment pin and the transverse motor has the SAME damned alignment pin instead of a hole, so we were left with deciding which pin to pull. Flipped a coin, came up heads, so we went to pull the pin from the motor.

Oh, HELL NO says the little pin that could. After 15 minutes of heating and beating, we said screw it and decided to lop it off with an angle grinder. We could only get so close to the pin with the grinder we had available (without removing flywheel/head), so we went to work griding off the pin on the tranny and drilling out a bit of the pin so that the tranny could mate to the motor.

After a bit of struggling with the tranny (due to the alignment pin crap) we got it on, but I also split the hell out of my index finger while being adamant that we could fit it on with out drilling. No band-aids in sight, I made a mechanics bandage, a paper towel wrapped around the cut with a rubber glove slapped on top of it to keep the towel on.

The motor had a bit of liquid where the spark plugs were, so we blew it out before checking the plugs.

After we got her all together on the ground, we slapped her on the cherry picker, tossed the lil sucker in the car and began hooking her up to start her for the first time.

(you can see my mechanics bandage =/)

After playing with the timing a bit, we finally got her running fine and were able to drive out that day.

One motor a year, I'd say this is a pretty spoiled Corolla =P

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

hockenheimring vids kplzthnx

looks good, cant wait to see more

rexhunta
Car: '95 Mitsubishi RVR ( 4G63T and AWD thanks !)
MY10 Forester X LE

This is so awesome.. reminds me of the job we did on our friends AE86 hatchback.. bought it for bugger all, found a sr20de with vvt from an S14.. made new crossmembers for the gearbox ( sr box as well) and for the engine. bolted all in..

Found some KEI Office coilovers from an S13.. worked out all whats stopping them from going in with 1 bolt hole.. so out came the drill.

Added in 2 efi pumps with a swirl tank, made our own fuel lines from a r32 gtst..

Bolted on Ca font discs and rotors ! !! ! 1

And go it all running.. heres a photo from our last auto kharna day..

Think the most expensive part bought was the kaaz 2 way lsd... but damn was it worth it !!

Engine bay

Veriest1

Mwahahaha!

gabossie

Damn you always make me jelous. I need a place to actually work on my car. My gravel driveway is teh sux

Mr1der

is that an air force base garage?

flohtingPoint

Mr1der wrote:is that an air force base garage?
Army Brother. The Air Force shops are all too fickle about what you can/cant do. The shop on Landstuhl is sick, they let you do whatever your heart desires... Cover yourself in tranny fluid and make love to an exhuast port? Sure. Take a plasma cutter and chop your car in half? Why not. You name it, we can do it.

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

bump

flohtingPoint

Not been around for a while, but since then I've gotten a new 86 to work on.

These initial pics suck cause they're taken with my blackberry (one of which is actually a picture of a picture of my car), will add much better ones later.

Sitting in my apartment complex's parking lot.

Blacktop 20 valve 4ag.

Story behind the new car to come later.

Veriest1

I see win on the horizon.

flohtingPoint

Here are the current specs on the new 86. Pics to come when I find the charger for my Rebel XT. I misplaced it somewhere in my move to the east coast.

Motor:1998 AE111 20v 4ageTRD 4-1 headerTest pipeBuddy club spec II exhaustCusco engine mountsLightweight water pump and alternator pulleyJubiride throttle screensT3 velocity stacksEarls oil coolerOdyssey 11 lb battery behind driver’s seat

Suspension:T3 NRCAsT3 camber platesT3 front coilovers 6.7kg spring rateKYB AGX front insertsKYB AGX rear strutsTRD Japan rear springs 4.3 kgBattleversion 5 linksProthane bushingsStitch welded chassis

Drivetrain and brakes:Low mileage JDM transmissionXTD flywheelACT clutch kitT3 Short shifterTomei 2 way LSDCusco transmission mountSlotted rotorsHawk padsBraided stainless steel brake linesBraided stainless steel clutch line16x8 Sportmax 002Falken RT615 205/40/16

Interior:Sparco Corsa driver’s seatCorbeau FX1 passenger seatHarness barRJS 5pt harnessesMomo deep dish suede steering wheel

Recently replaced parts due to the fact that it's a 23 year old car:WindshieldWindshield moldingTaillight gasketsDistributor cap and rotorRadiatorBrake master cylinderClutch master cylinderClutch slave cylinderRebuilt OEM Toyota calipersBall jointsInner and outer tie rodsWheel bearingsRear end professionally rebuiltCarrier bearingsPinion bearing and sealAxle bearings

flohtingPoint

Ooook... I cant find my charger for my Rebel XT, so I made due with my crappy FE-230 that I usually just reserve for taking out to the bar with me.

Anyway, as promised, some pics.

Yea... I know a signal light is out, it's one of many things on my 23 year old car that I've got a list to fix.

xX RB Xx
Car: SE3P, FC3S, FC3C.

ahh i love corollas

Return to “Others”