PERFORMANCE CHIP FOR A NISSAN CUBE 2009

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
BrassMomkey

I was just looking into some things for a friends truck and came across a PERFORMANCE CHIP FOR A NISSAN CUBE 2009.

Anyone here chipped a Cube, and if so how was the MPG and Power affected?

damian666robin
Car: 2009 nissan cube

i dont think is worth the money unless you have a lot of engine mods, since is a small size engine a chip wont do muchsince is a nissan, famous japanese brands like HKS or IMPUL can do itor locals like AEM , i dont think it will be to hard to manipulate the brain of the cubepersonal suggestion: i wont go farther than the IMPUL one, that one seems very safe

BrassMomkey

Thanks Damian. I will take that advice.

If anyone out there actually gives a chip a chance please post here your results.

I love My Cube.

Touge-Z32
Car: 1993 NA 300ZX 2+0

damian666robin wrote:i dont think is worth the money unless you have a lot of engine mods, since is a small size engine a chip wont do muchsince is a nissan, famous japanese brands like HKS or IMPUL can do itor locals like AEM , i dont think it will be to hard to manipulate the brain of the cubepersonal suggestion: i wont go farther than the IMPUL one, that one seems very safe
Since the CVT is computer controlled, a chip could do some serious damage without proper tuning. If it's that venom or truck ECU chip that's made for torque, a belt in the CVT will most likely snap leaving you stranded with voiding warranty. IMO anyone with a Cube or CVT should stay away from general performance modifications and wait for the professionals to R&D so they can make a product worth buying.

Square1
Car: 09 Cube

Touge-Z32 wrote: IMO anyone with a Cube or CVT should stay away from general performance modifications and wait for the professionals to R&D so they can make a product worth buying.
Just curious, why do you say this? I can understand this sentiment towards just about anything with a CVT.

But not all cube's are CVT's, mine is a 6 speed.

Touge-Z32

When I said "general performance modifications" I was talking about universal parts that you can buy from EBAY and other garbage. Cube exclusive performance parts are good and beneficial without voiding warranty.

The Cube Xtronic CVT was designed for acceleration and fuel economy. With that in mind and major changes to the ECU can simply damage the transmission. Nissan has put millions into RD for their Xtronic CVT to make what it is today. But simple power upgrades which can be monitored by the sensors thus the ECU can make proper adjustments is more beneficial for CVT owners.

For the manual owners seeking electrical upgrades can be used as the transmission is the standard for today performance parts. When a company designs an engine and transmission; they make the parts for at max HP and TQ for general public use or sport applications. Usually the transmission is can take about 50 to 150 more HP than what the engine hp is at the flywheel. So install at your own risk but i don't see any damage could happen to a 6 speed.

http://www.nissan-global.com/E...S/CVT/

Square1

Touge-Z32 wrote:When I said "general performance modifications" I was talking about universal parts that you can buy from EBAY and other garbage. Cube exclusive performance parts are good and beneficial without voiding warranty.

The Cube Xtronic CVT was designed for acceleration and fuel economy. With that in mind and major changes to the ECU can simply damage the transmission. Nissan has put millions into RD for their Xtronic CVT to make what it is today. But simple power upgrades which can be monitored by the sensors thus the ECU can make proper adjustments is more beneficial for CVT owners.

For the manual owners seeking electrical upgrades can be used as the transmission is the standard for today performance parts. When a company designs an engine and transmission; they make the parts for at max HP and TQ for general public use or sport applications. Usually the transmission is can take about 50 to 150 more HP than what the engine hp is at the flywheel. So install at your own risk but i don't see any damage could happen to a 6 speed.

http://www.nissan-global.com/E...S/CVT/
Didn't answer my question.

I whole heartedly agree with you on ANYTHING with a CVT. But a cube with a manual transmission is no different than any other car. Many of the so-called "general performance parts from eBay and others" have been used successfully on many cars without reliability or warranty issues, the cube should be no different.

I also agree that your best bet is ALWAYS to use performance parts from a well qualified source, and better yet, something that's manufacture supported. But that isn't always an option.

I installed a Jackson Racing Supercharger on my 02 Focus (not a Ford item) with 10k on the clock. I never had a warranty issue from the dealership.

Again, I agree with not doing ANYTHING performance wise if you have a CVT, and CVT or not, you should always chose parts from a reliable source. - Dan

damian666robin

for sure with 6 speed you have much more freedom to play around and tune the car on the dyno until you reach that desired hp but dont go to crazy or i will be seeing you on those blown dyno videos on you tube lol! i do have cvt so yeah i am half way hands tied to do stuff on the cube...oh well ......thats why i sugested the IMPUL throttle upgrade because it wont hurt at all the cube on the other hand i been having some weird dreams about me poping the hood of the cube and sudenly i see a VQ35DE engine in there sometimes dreams come true

Square1

damian666robin wrote:for sure with 6 speed you have much more freedom to play around and tune the car on the dyno until you reach that desired hp but dont go to crazy or i will be seeing you on those blown dyno videos on you tube lol! i do have cvt so yeah i am half way hands tied to do stuff on the cube...oh well ......thats why i sugested the IMPUL throttle upgrade because it wont hurt at all the cube on the other hand i been having some weird dreams about me poping the hood of the cube and sudenly i see a VQ35DE engine in there sometimes dreams come true
That's why we dream, sometimes they do come true...LOL

Yeah, if I had a CVT I wouldn't risk any performance mods (except possibly an intake and exhaust) without it being approved by Nissan specifically for the CVT. Simply because the replacement cost is staggering.

But with a 6 speed I may do some experimenting. - Dan

Touge-Z32

The last paragraph I answered the question honestly as in the last sentence " So install at your own risk but i don't see any damage could happen to a 6 speed". Also meaning it meets our standard transmission of today which can take any part you want to install with reason.

Aftermarket companies like Stillen, JWT, Apex'i are a few of the professional companies i was talking about that make reliable parts. Not just NISMO.

Also Jackson Racing parts is a legit performance company and did you modify the part to properly fit or was it built for your Focus 02?

A Nismo cube is closer to reality than a dream. 2nd Genhttp://www.poweraxel.com/archv....html

Square1

Touge-Z32 wrote:The last paragraph I answered the question honestly as in the last sentence " So install at your own risk but i don't see any damage could happen to a 6 speed". Also meaning it meets our standard transmission of today which can take any part you want to install with reason.

Aftermarket companies like Stillen, JWT, Apex'i are a few of the professional companies i was talking about that make reliable parts. Not just NISMO.

Also Jackson Racing parts is a legit performance company and did you modify the part to properly fit or was it built for your Focus 02?

A Nismo cube is closer to reality than a dream. 2nd Genhttp://www.poweraxel.com/archv....html
Yeah I hear where your comming from and the cube 6 speed should be flexible enough for some experimentation. Almost everything you do regardless of who's behind it is "At your own risk", but coming from a reliable source as you mentioned above significantly reduces the risk factor.

Yes, the JRSC was built for the Focus. But I made my own big boost kit and ran it that way for a while, although it ran AWESOME it had a minor flat spot that was annoying so it went back to spec. - Dan

BrassMomkey

Here is some info about the Nismo Cube

http://www.examiner.com/x-4824...mance

Square1

^^ Me Likey ^^ Mmmmmm......NISMO

terrycs

BrassMomkey wrote:I was just looking into some things for a friends truck and came across a PERFORMANCE CHIP FOR A NISSAN CUBE 2009.

If the ECU is anything like on other Nissan platforms, a chip will not work. On the up side, the factory ECU's on some late model Nissan / Infiniti platforms can now be reflashed. Chips also make the most gains on factory FI cars where the boost can changed on the factory turbo(s). For example, huge gains have been realized on the BMW 335 from a chip.

However, the gains will be be less noticeable on a N/A motor. It's easier to bolt on a cat back exhaust first.

D3stro

The cube is not, and will never be a rocket pocket and it wasn't build to do so. There's plenty of other cars out there mean for that.

damian666robin

D3stro wrote:The cube is not, and will never be a rocket pocket and it wasn't build to do so. There's plenty of other cars out there mean for that.
BINGO BINGO BINGO!!!! there you go cube/versa owners i share the same opinion a 100%

this is not a car intended to upgrade pistons and all that kind of stuff whatever goes on the engine is a mere cosmetic thing even intakes, my poor cube has got some hate already just because they see my megan racing on my side windows they think i got some nasty intercooler in the front of a giant snail but ignorants dont know my sticker is because they also do suspension works

Razor007
Car: 2010 Nissan Cube

terrycs wrote:
BrassMomkey wrote:I was just looking into some things for a friends truck and came across a PERFORMANCE CHIP FOR A NISSAN CUBE 2009.

If the ECU is anything like on other Nissan platforms, a chip will not work. On the up side, the factory ECU's on some late model Nissan / Infiniti platforms can now be reflashed. Chips also make the most gains on factory FI cars where the boost can changed on the factory turbo(s). For example, huge gains have been realized on the BMW 335 from a chip.

However, the gains will be be less noticeable on a N/A motor. It's easier to bolt on a cat back exhaust first.

I am using a g-force chip on my cube and I can not tell if it works or not,
35 mpg at 57 mph cruise and
30.4 mpg at 70 mph cruise and subtracting 2 mpg from the display on both.

Return to “Cube Forum”