Patching a hole in an intake filter

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
hiryux
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe

My car started to feel real sluggish one day and discovered there was a hole in my injen intake filter caused by it rubbing against a piece of metal. Now I have a hole that sucks up way too much air and makes my car slow. I know I could just go out and buy another but I'm really strapped for cash right now so I just a need a simple solution to patch it up until I get paid and could buy a new one. Has anyone had the same experience and have any quick remedies they could recommend to me on how to patch up the hole. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

s14_240sx
Car: 96 240sx Zenki

Having a hole in your intake (in the filter) won't make your car slower, if anything, it would make it the tiniest bit more responsive. I would look for the real cause of the sluggishness.

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

replace the filter, dont be cheap on something so inexpensive that protects your engine from FOD.

if there's a hole, i would worry about having drawn something into the combustion chamber by now, especially if it is exposed in your engine bay. maybe you have something stuck against your throttle body causing the sluggishness.

hiryux

Well its kinda weird. I decided just to put a little duct tape over the hole the other day and the car ran like normal. The sluggishness came back today and I covered the hole (which was created again) and the car ran like normal today. It might be the hot weather also. Its getting up to the 90's where I live (socal) so that might have something to do with it. I'll take a little more look into it. Thanks.

s14_240sx

Thats wierd. My only thought is that your car is running close to lean, and when the whole opens up, it pushes it really lean and your car bogs down? Is your car running lean?

dickie

you placed duct tape over the hole and the next time you looked it was gone?

did you find it? if not its probably stuck in your intake piping or manifold with whatever else has been sucked in there (filter material included).

if i were you i would pull the piping and check, if you dont see it there or on the tb pull the manifold and look in the runners.

s14_240sx

Holy **** he has a good point. Did it just disapear or did it wear down again? check the the throttle body to see if you can find it.

killablue240
Car: sr powered s13 coupe, 1991 twin turbo 300zx

i fixed my apexi filter with a hot glue gun until i could buy another one.

hiryux

What I meant to say was when I placed duct tape over the hole. The sluggish feeling to my car went away. The duct tape never came off. Its just that the metal again pierced the duct tape and I put another piece over it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

dickie

get a new filter. period.

hiryux

Does anyone know if the air filters are interchangeable with other companies? I have a 95 240sx with a injen short ram intake. I think its a 3" size filter. Could I just buy a K&N 3" cone air filter and would it swap with no problems?

lucky7
Car: 97 RB25 S14

lol, what kind of thread is this?? people duct taping and hot gluing their air filters?? what the hell is wrong with you guys? hahaha. i vote this the best thread this week, easy. lol.

+1

lucky7

hiryux wrote:Does anyone know if the air filters are interchangeable with other companies? I have a 95 240sx with a injen short ram intake. I think its a 3" size filter. Could I just buy a K&N 3" cone air filter and would it swap with no problems?
it really doesnt matter what the size of the filter is, how long or wide or what color it is. just as long as it bolts onto the piping. although, alot of people will tell you not to run a K&N or other oiled filter if you are running a MAF by the air filter.

hiryux

So whats wrong with having an oiled filter near you MAF?

lucky7

air is sucked through the filter, and excess oil gets on your maf, messing up the signal.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”