P1610 and P1614 - 2007 Sentra

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - I believe you'll get security codes now if you try to revert to the old ECM, the IMMU will know it's been changed out. So you'll be into another key reprogram, and then a third one if the old ECM is hara kiri trash as I suspect.

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

Let me add that by way of initialization you need to do the following since you have installed a used ECM (i) Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning (ii)Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning (ii)Idle Air Volume Learning. Refer to the EC section of the FSM. You need to also write the VIN of your vehicle into the ECM to replace that of the donor vehicle. You’ll need a capable tool to do that. However, there won't be any drivability issues leaving the original VIN in the ECM.

07Sentra2.0
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0

I just wanted to follow up because the car was fully fixed by me. I say 'by me' because only the repairs I did actually made progress. To summarize the chain of events:

-2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0 with one mechanical key and would crank over but not run due to Security system becoming locked. This occurred after removing the negative cable from the battery for maintenance by the owner/her friend. The 'maintenance' was the owner/friend attempting to do the spark plug change themselves and realizing they didn't have the right tools so not much was actually done except removing the battery connection and the intake.

-The immobilizer codes were: P1610 Locked, P1611 Key ID Discord IMMU-ECM

-We got a locksmith out and he could not fix it. I believe for him it wouldn't communicate with his device. The guy was too much in a hurry so he really didn't spend time on it but I gave him $20 for at least getting me the codes.

-I purchased a used ECM and a key programmer and programmed them with the only key she had myself. The car started up and the codes went away!

-The car misfired badly so I thought perhaps the replacement ECM was faulty because it was used so I put the original ECM back in and programmed her only key once again. The car started just fine! This was with the original ECM that the locksmith could not get to program. Not sure if trying with a different ECM and being successful allowed the original to be fixed as well or not but it worked with no fuss on every programming attempt I made regardless of ECM.

-The original ECM did not commit suicide after I personally turned the key on/off and attempted to start countless times during troubleshooting and then trying per the manual to get it out of P1610 locked mode & the owner tried as well many times. Perhaps the hara kiri concept is really just a bug in the code that doesn't allow some ECMs to reset despite all of the correct actions.

-The car still misfired with the original ECM signaling a different problem. To me I was thinking the coil packs so I ordered a single Bosch OEM style coil pack.

-The misfire (P0300) was due to 2 of the 4 coil pack boots, on cyl 3 and 4, that were split about an inch or so from the top in the same exact spot (and there is some gray silicone like substance on all 4 packs in the same area which looks like factory stuff). I replaced one of the bad ones with a brand new Bosch unit and fixed the 2 split ones with E6000 silicone. I put one of the fixed ones back in cyl 4 and put it all back together. Cyl 4 coil pack can be replaced w/o removing intake so it was the best place for the 'fixed' one in case it didn't/doesn't work out. The other fixed one is now as spare. It wasn't too bad taking the intake off again to do this part but it's sure annoying to have to do at all on a 4 cyl. considering they are usually easily done.

-The car runs like new. It's quiet, no shake, has power again, and drives great! The immobilizer lock has not returned either. Finally, I ordered a Nissan key and fob and will get the key cut so I can program it all together so she can have a spare because having one key is just too risky! I did not ask for a single dollar from her even though I spent a good bit to get it all done. It's worth it just to help someone :)

-A big thanks to all of you who helped with your comments!!

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

Nice. Rest assured that the key programmer you purchased was a worthy investment from the episode.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

07Sentra2.0 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:08 pm
Perhaps the hara kiri concept is really just a bug in the code that doesn't allow some ECMs to reset despite all of the correct actions.
Could be. I'm sure only Hitachi can answer that, and I'm sure they won't. ;)

Glad you got it worked out!

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”