Outside noise

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
rogueboy

There is no insulation in the back area, when you drive in the rain, the water sheds off the tires onto the wheel wells, and because the interior has no insulation or dampening, you can hear it dramatically, almost like a drum. I have pulled it apart, and can verify it is bare metal.

Some dynamat would work nicely.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

rogueboy wrote:There is no insulation in the back area, when you drive in the rain, the water sheds off the tires onto the wheel wells, and because the interior has no insulation or dampening, you can hear it dramatically, almost like a drum. I have pulled it apart, and can verify it is bare metal.

Some dynamat would work nicely.
This is true dynamat is a good product. But I will say the Rogue is quieter than my 2002 CRV or my 2007 Rav 4 in daily use. It has been so dry here for the last few years my significant drives in the rain could probably be counted on one hand my commute is 1 mile so some days my drive time is very short.

tobymyster

My 2009 Rouge has wind noise at speeds of 110-120kmh only driving into the wind. I have had it back twice to Nissan but when I road tested the vehicle with a tech it was quiet. I did a test at work and blew air from a compressor with a air nozzle between the drivers door and fender on both sides the closer I got to the mirrors bingo the noise reproduced itself. I will be bringing the car back to nissan with video evidence also. I will inform if anything can be done. I also have a complaint referens with Nissan Canada.

Vince [email protected]

There is also a perfect video on youtube on wind noise 2009 Rouge check it out

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

tobymyster wrote:My 2009 Rouge
Rogue is a Nissan vehicle. Rouge is a color.
tobymyster wrote:I did a test at work and blew air from a compressor with a air nozzle between the drivers door and fender on both sides the closer I got to the mirrors bingo the noise reproduced itself.
That's interesting. I haven't had much luck with locating the noise since it only seems to be present under certain conditions (high speed with the wind from a certain direction). It's extremely annoying though and has a tendency to pop up on long road trips.

tobymyster

Sorry for the error too upset at the time. If anybody figures out this wind noise please advice.

Thanks

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

I had that noise with the CRV. Same with the Rogue. I learned a long time ago to keep the cargo cover(the one that is pulled over stuff in the 'trunk') in place. Sounds silly, but it really does reduce the noise back there.

DanTheMan
Car: 2010 RogueSL Wickid Black Premium

I have been driving my new 2010 Rogue for about one month now. I did notice some driving/rain noise from the rear. Just open up the back to expose the spare. I then just put down rubber insulation around the spare, as there is no insulation back there.

Noise gone! Now the ride is even more quiet

Cheers!

Couz
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

Does the cargo cover really limit noise level...I was always told it was just esthetics, mostly so people don't see what you have in your trunk.

I'm definitely thinking of adding some kind of insulation in the spare tire area.

DanTheMan

I think having the cover in place does have an impact, mostly from sound deflection. Adding insulation around the spare will increase the sound absorption in the area.

I work at a rubber insulation plant, so I had easy access to the material to try out. It doesn't take all that much to use. You probably will be able to get it at your local hardware shop.

Cheers!

Couz

DanTheMan wrote:I think having the cover in place does have an impact, mostly from sound deflection. Adding insulation around the spare will increase the sound absorption in the area.

I work at a rubber insulation plant, so I had easy access to the material to try out. It doesn't take all that much to use. You probably will be able to get it at your local hardware shop.

Cheers!
I didn't get the cover, pretty pricy !!!

But I am thinking of adding some insulation in the spare tire area....did you just throw the insulation in there, like a blanket or actually stick it to certain areas ?

DanTheMan

Couz,

I got a 4' x 4' piece of insulation and placed it over the spare. I then cut out the outline of the spare and of the spare well. I cut out the rim area of the spare, just so the power amp wouldn't overheat. I then used the pieces that were trimmed off and just "stuffed" them into the spare well. Then I just laid the piece I cut out directly on top of the spare and covered everything up nice and neat. I had to trim a little more to get the well cover to fit. All and all, it took less then 30 minutes to do.

Cheers!

Couz

Thanks Dan,

I'm gonna get some insulation and just stuff it in there.

NissMazLover
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hey, everyone! New to the forum here. :)

First issue: We bought our Rogue about a little more than a month ago (2011 Black Amethyst SL AWD) and it has less than 1K miles. On the highway, starting at 60mph, there is an annoying wind whistling noise present, as if there is a wind leak. I am not sure as to where it's coming from, but I think it's either from the front window(s) or the sunroof area. It minimizes a bit when I close the interior sunroof cover.

It's really annoying to me since I don't ALWAYS drive with the music on (great Bose system, btw), and sometimes I like to just have a quiet ride on the highway and this noise definitely impedes that. Plus, it's disappointing because the car is great and, otherwise, has such a quiet (except in the rain) and nice interior. Doesn't really give you the quality feeling when you're driving a $28K brand new car and have wind leaking somewhere, whistling annoyingly at you when driving at normal highway speeds. BTW, the faster you drive, the more noticeable it gets.

Does anyone else have this issue? If so, what have you done to take care of it, and will the Nissan dealer fix it?

Thanks!

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

HI there, and welcome to the NICO Nissan Rogue forum!

There is no need to post in more than one thread, we'll be able to help you out here as this has been discussed in existing threads that are searchable.

I feel for you, because I had this terrible whistling noise and thought it was coming from the roof bars, but I did discover the problem and a solution! The noise was coming from the drivers door, check out this thread for detailed description and photos of the problem area and fix:

post6110768.html?hilit=noise#p6110768

NissMazLover
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hi, Kerrton. Thanks for the welcome, and sorry about the double-posting. Just wanted to make sure my issue was posted in the correct threads.

Anyway, seems like you did go through a similar problem. But, it seems as though you went through a lot of work fixing something that the Nissan Dealer should have taken care of. Is your Rogue out of warranty already and that's why you went through that? Mine is brand new. Do you think my Nissan dealer will be able to address this issue? A brand-spanking new car should not have wind-whistling noises. All that whistling reminds me of highway roadtrips in my mom's old 1980 Chevy Malibu station wagon when I was a kid! LOL

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I dealt with this when my vehicle in the first year or two, so I had lots of warranty. I went about eliminating potenital sources one by one with the guess and test method. I discovered the problem after I aleady applied the fix. If I would've known for sure the source of the problem without having to implement the fix I would have probably pushed for a dealer fix. Also, the problem was

a) this wasn't a known issue to my dealer, and no service bulletin from corporate indicating this is an issue

b) a dealer can't perform warranty work until they confirm the problem and for them to identify the source of the noise was a long shot. The chances of them even hearing this intermittent problem was unlikely, when you want it to the make the noise it never will!! I didn't want to spend hours driving around with a tech only to hear utter silence, and they would have so much time to devote to investigating the problem. Even if they did hear the noise, it would be extremely tough for them to determine the source and apply the right fix.

My dealer is very accomodating but have not been successful in solving the few problems I've had so I didn't have much hope on this one, and like I said by diagnosing the source of the problem I also solved it so I just decided to let it go and move on.

But I do agree, ideally this should be fixed under warranty, and if you happen to have some good service techs and get them to aknowledge the problem and exact source, i.e. the door in the spot I identified, they should be able to take care of the problem easily. The fix is no problem and it's cheap, it's diagnosing the problem that's tough. I assume an adjustment to the door is another option to make is seal correctly, but when I look a the door seams from the outside they are perfectly consistent, nothing appears out of alignment. Likely they would "beef up" the seals in that area like I did and call it good.

Good luck, I hope your dealer fixes this for you, and please let us know how this turns out.

TaiLuu
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

Damn, Now I know.
Everytime during long trips. I always tell me friends "Why Do You have your window open? close the #$%^!@# window.\"

Return to “Rogue Forum”