OMG... Infiniti studio on wheels- Bose

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
pfarmer
Car: 2008 GXS with technology package

lucidd wrote:nope- acura has ELS-panasonic in their TL and TSX. The RL has Bose- but the RL is too mute for my taste anyways...

I agree- no one really buys a car for the sound system. But we can all agree that everyone has different priorities. And mine has shifted from- all sporty-speed-power factor---> now more comfort-quality-convenience-and reliability factor... If I wanted all sports---> I'd go for the bmw335i.

Don't get me wrong, I still do like speed and power--- just looking for some more inner strength.

L
You could always stop in Gas Town on your way out to the pig farm.

Perry

pfarmer

mrsmithGrider wrote:Umm I dont care too much for the printing bizz, but I am an audiophile and for the most part bose is very basic. I must clarify i'm not the type to need bass that would rattle my trunk or highs that would break glass, but i expected so much from a company that I have supported for the last five years. My dads 1993 Q45 bose audio system sounded three times better than my 2003 bose system.
If your dad still has this car there are at least two recalls for the speakers and one for the radio itself.

Perry

lucidd
Car: 2007 g35 sport

OK... you have some good points.

especially the one on feeling ripped off -100k system on a 40k car.

OMG-wtf was I thinking--- believing that i'd get that!!!So yes, It was my bad judgement in believing in Boze's marketing... my bad.

Cuz what I got instead of the 100k sounding system - is a system that sounds worse than my $1000 home system -LOL... still false statements on Bozo's part.

Anyways... I think my points are falling on deaf ears... everyone, PLS vote!!!so far, few agree... none voted NO.

I know that Bose home systems are regarded just as bad as I am about their car systems.:: check these reviews / forums / -user opinions out:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.htmlhtt ... ms....html

lucidd

LMAO...gas town - pigfarm... lolYou know our cityscape!

But seriously tho, that's no joke -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_PicktonOVER 27 WOMEN'S MURDERS MAY BE CONDUCTED THERE.

pfarmer

lucidd wrote:LMAO...gas town - pigfarm... lolYou know our cityscape!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_PicktonOVER 27 WOMEN'S MURDERS MAY BE CONDUCTED THERE.
I used to read the Georgia Straight while singing with the white sheets playing the cymbals and tamborines across from the courthouse. I would go from there to eat a little Chiness, then I would venture to Stanley Park and on my way pass the CMP station I would stop and steal their cannon, only to return it later before the killer whale would grab me by the ear and the emu would steal my chips. Great times between 1967 and 1973.

Perry

pfarmer

lucidd wrote:OK... you have some good points.

especially the one on feeling ripped off -100k system on a 40k car.

OMG-wtf was I thinking--- believing that i'd get that!!!So yes, It was my bad judgement in believing in Boze's marketing... my bad.

Cuz what I got instead of the 100k sounding system - is a system that sounds worse than my $1000 home system -LOL... still false statements on Bozo's part.

Anyways... I think my points are falling on deaf ears... everyone, PLS vote!!!so far, few agree... none voted NO.

I know that Bose home systems are regarded just as bad as I am about their car systems.:: check these reviews / forums / -user opinions out:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.htmlhtt ... ms....html
Or these?:

http://www.stereophile.com/news/071706infiniti/

100k system:

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Infi...eview

http://www.leftlanenews.com/in....html

One of the 7 best:

http://blogs.thecarconnection....stems

http://www.gearlog.com/2006/07...e.php

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/autoreviews/?id=27880

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/a....html

http://en.autos.sympatico.msn....23786

Perry

pfarmer

lucidd wrote:LMAO...gas town - pigfarm... lolYou know our cityscape!

I used to read the Georgia Straight while singing with the white sheets playing the cymbals and tamborines across from the courthouse. Then I would venture to Stanley Park and on my way pass the CMP station I would stop and steal their canon, only to return it later before the killer whale would grab me by the ear and the emu would steal my chips. Great times between 1967 and 1973.

Perry

Tampa G35 Sedan 6MT
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT Black w/ Premium & Areo Pkg
1989 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Lifted and Old School!

There is an easy fix for this... Just replace the Tweeters. That will do it for you and they will be much clearer than stock.

I did it in my G and love it... The Infiniti bose tweeters are about the size of a penny. the new ones that I have are much larger and sound great.... The car has plenty of base for my needs but was never full sound in your face like it is now... I have actually done someone else's G with the tweeter upgrade and she loves it!

You can do a search to find the topic!

DJ

Tampa G35 Sedan 6MT
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT Black w/ Premium & Areo Pkg
1989 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Lifted and Old School!

mrsmithGrider
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Tampa G35 Sedan 6MT wrote:There is an easy fix for this... Just replace the Tweeters. That will do it for you and they will be much clearer than stock.

I did it in my G and love it... The Infiniti bose tweeters are about the size of a penny. the new ones that I have are much larger and sound great.... The car has plenty of base for my needs but was never full sound in your face like it is now... I have actually done someone else's G with the tweeter upgrade and she loves it!

You can do a search to find the topic!

DJ
How much would that run me for the tweeter setup??

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I have no issues with it. Sure, it lacks some on the deep bass side of the house and could stand some better tweeters but in general it sounds pretty good.

lucidd

thanks for that suggestion!!! I'll look into it!L

pfarmer

lucidd wrote:thanks for that suggestion!!! I'll look into it!L
Also keep in mind that you also have many other options as well when it comes to these tweaters. You do want to match impedence. I think the Polks are 4 ohm, I couldn't see what the originals were and not sure they are the same on the 07-08.

What I have found on these types of installs is you can make brackets if you need to out of various types of plastic objects such as in your kitchen, even black plastic flower pots. On my Chrysler I had to do the reverse, that is go with a smaller tweeter since the stock ones were about twice the size but older technology. I simply took a piece of plastic and glued the new tweeter into the center of a piece of plastic. Worked well.

You may do a search here about bass blockers as it seems someone here used them on the newer model's mid range.

Perry

lucidd

LMAO...gas town - pigfarm... lolYou know our cityscape!

pfarmer

lucidd wrote:So just fyi- as a printing expert, you are incorrect in asuning that the magazine prints at 1/29 of the 600dpi. When in fact, all pictures in magazines (unless it has low quality pixelsted look)... Is printed with pictures with a resolution of over 300dpi. This is fact. And actually- today alot of the publications use Stoicato screening- which needs-utilizes a higher resolution- about 600dpi images can yeild better results- in comparison to lower res.

Besides- my example was metaphor- sending too much info-like 1000dpi (too much info) to a 600dpi printer- you will get 600 no matter what.
What I was referring to was that Life magazine printed at 300 dpi before it ceased to be a monthly. It was noted for its photos. Assuming an 8x10 picture you need about 7.2 megapixels to cover the page, simplified a bit especially since Life was basically film for its entire monthly run.

The point I was mainly after was the dynamic range. The larger physically a ccd is typically the higher the range between 100 percent white and 100 percent black. This is one reason why the very large ccd in something like the 1 megapixel rover camera can yield much better results then what a consumer with much higher resolutions can. You can compensate with the rover by simply taking multiple shots and stitching together. In a similar way my sister had a .8 meg camera that would make my 5 meg look terrible taking a picture of a baseball game. Reason she had an optical zoom of 14 and a large ccd. My new Nikon on the other hand has the best of both worlds.

The stock Bose rates a very low THD (which most would be hard to tell the difference since I think the threshhold is something like 1% for most people) and a 100 db dynamic range. This would mean to me that unless you are after more power that the Bose is plenty. However the killer is the impedence which limits your options in regard to simple replacement of speakers for upgrades. From what I see though is that while it looks to be a huge job it really doesn't look like it would be since it appears with little effort you could replace the amp which would open up your options to just about any speaker set you may want to go with.

To me this doesn't take care of what myself and many others would like to see out of the head unit and that is equalization. The older you get the more important this can become. As an example I actually heard Hendrix live. But regardless of how accurate the system may be there is no way for ME to hear Hendrix like I did then without equalization.

The same exist when you compare a live performance versus a recorded performance, especially one in compressed format.

Equalization is (fairly) easy to add as well but I would like to integrate that into the system as a whole and one option would be the aux a/v inputs which the Bose system provides in your console. Short of a complete carputer this seems the best option for the direction I would like to go. The additional benefit of going this direction is you can add other things as well such as engine performance monitoring, etc. to the display.

Perry

Noddy11
Car: 2010 G37x Sedan

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but it really hits home for me. I just got a 2010 G37x Sedan with the premium package option the other day, and while it's a very nice car I am absolutely amazed by what an abysmal audio system it has. The title is promising, "Infiniti Studio on Wheels", but it's more like a piece of crap on wheels (the audio system I mean). When I first turned it on I just stared at it thinking something must be set wrong somewhere, but there wasn't. I've fooled around with what little there is to fool with, bass, treble, balance left and right, front and back, and the "Driver's Stage" mode (arf arf), but it blows no matter what you do. The last time I had a sound system this bad in a car I was driving a Mazda B2200 pickup in the late 80's that cost me $7,600 brand new.

It seems woefully under-powered and the speakers are very poor, just flat, lifeless and muffled sounding. Is there anything I can do? Does the tweeter replacement thing mentioned in this thread work for my model? How can such a nice car have such a worthless audio system? I don't get it. I can't bear the thought of having to listen to this thing for the next few years, and every time I turn it on it makes me want to cry. I'm so annoyed that I didn't test listen it when I test drove the car, lesson learned there I guess.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Check out this thread...I'm adding an aftermarket subwoofer system to my G37 sedan. The studio on wheels just needs some bass ;)

installing-aftermarket-subwoofer-in-my- ... l#p5815602

Cwickenstein
Car: '11 G37 S
Blk/Blk/Blk
Former -
'13 Altima 3.5 SL - RIP
'08 S2k CR Blk HT
'07 R56 MCS BRG

Although my desire is to NOT thrash upon a deceased equine, I was wondering if any y'all have the actual specs of the 10 speaker system in the G37 sedan? I THINK I see a couple 6.5s in the rear doors, and maybe a 10" in the front doors, but Bose and Google aren't being very cooperative. It seems reasonable that the rear deck might be a pair of 6/9s, but I'm not sure. How many watts, what's the imp/ohm levels, etc and speaker sizes, if you fine gentle humans might be able to assist?

Thanks mucho and have a lovely day.

QCtech
Car: 2003 Pathfinder LE

When I bought mine, somebody have already removed the Bose unit and replaced with a Kenwood, but left the rest of the system (speakers) etc. It sounds pretty amazing to me, after I tweaked the lows and highs to my liking.

Mark Linkous
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x

No highs, no lows, must be Bose! I recently purchased a 2012 G37x which is equipped with the Premium Package and thus the Blose system and I am already getting antsy about yanking it all out.

All I can say is if many folks actually looked at the speaker drivers in Bose systems, most would want to yank them pretty quickly. The problem of course is just how intertwined the OEM audio is with many of the car's functions.

At this point, I am leaning heavily towards simply tapping the rear deck speaker leads to provide a signal for adding a quality subwoofer and amplifier. While certainly not ideal and it will require a decent amount of tuning so that all you hear is not the belching of a subwoofer going up against underpowered speakers.

I might just go ahead and add JL Audio's CleanSweep as it in my experience offers the best tuning options for instances like this where completely gutting the system is both quite expensive and decidedly requires a Mobile Audio installer with true skills which is something far more rare than one might presume.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I must admit that the sedan Bose system is much more lacking than the coupe version. My G37 coupe Bose system sounded much better than both my G35s sedan and my Q50s systems. My new Q60s Bose system is better in certain aspects when compared to the G37 coupe system as it has better imaging than the G37. But, I'm older now and don't have the audio bug like I used to 20+ years ago. Maybe I've settled and these systems have improved enough to satisfy my needs.

IF you are considering upgrades and want to save money then doing as Mark states above and adding a sub and amplifier may help. The problem with simply adding said amp and sub off the rear deck speaker leads is that the frequency ranges are limited at the amp itself so you won't get full sub frequencies and as you turn up the volume the output will somewhat diminish as well. This is an issue I had with the system I had in my Maxima and I somewhat worked around it by using a PPI pre-amp and boosting those frequencies. Replacing the front tweeter with a higher quality one is also a nice direction that's easy because the Bose tweeter is 4 ohm.

Otherwise, as mentioned, something like the CleanSweep (what is now the FiX lineup) would offer the best integration to the factory system but you have to consider replacing the whole system at that point unless all you want to be is a bass head.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”