Okay to Go From OEM 225/55/18s to 275/40/20s ?

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
OhThatGuy
Car: Next Car: M56 Sport
Past Cars:
2013 Dodge Charger SRT8
2011 Infiniti EX35
C63 AMG, E55 AMG, FX45, TT '93 Supras (2)

This would help eat up some of the gap in the wheel well but it is over 3% larger in diameter which one site warns results in the potential for brake failure. Any tire experts able to weight in on exactly what aspect of the increased diameter results in potential brake failure? If all 4 switch from the one size (225's) to being at the other (275's) will the braking system notice? The overall wheel+tire weight difference is pretty minimal.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I think that with your particular vehicle, the braking system is above average and won't be effected, although you probably WILL reduce braking distance, wich is never a good thing.

My concern would be with the ABS. I'm not sure how it works on your vehicle, but often, the ABS ECU will shut down if it sees a discrepency in speed between the wheel speeds and the VSS, or wheel speed vs. other engine parameters like RPM and load.

Regardless, my vote is that this is too far off from stock, unless someone else has first hand experience to the contrary.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”