ok guys here it is proof

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
deviousKA
Car: 90 240sx NA /72 Datsun 510 NA /86 corolla GTS NA

z series/ka24e type gasket

k6kicker
Car: 90 300zx(tt) 95 240sx

woot woot, lets get some dyno results :)

deviousKA

hey anyone that is interested, i just checked out a 2wd ka24de frontier head today. As far as the front cover mating is concerned, similar to altima. It was not the same as z/kaE

HaveBlue
Car: 1990 Auto 240sx Hatch

any updates? im curious what you had to do to make the front cover fit?

smug510

i just made an adapter plate to adapt the lower sohc cover to the bottom of the dohc top cover , i will have some video footage pretty soon

Kavkazia

Smug510, what are your plans with your SOHC turbo kit? Are you selling it?

I can't believe it, nice job!

k6kicker
Car: 90 300zx(tt) 95 240sx

would a frontier head gasket be the best choice here?

deviousKA

k6kicker wrote:would a frontier head gasket be the best choice here?

Depends on whether you match the sohc cover to the dohc upper cover, or the dohc upper cover to the sohc cover. If you were to do the latter, you would use a sohc gasket. The frontier gasket i am 90% sure is no different from the altima gasket (pictured above) so if you were to use a frontier or altima head you could use that. The frontier/altima gasket gives no advantage if you were going with a 240sx dohc ka head/front cover, because you need to mate it to sohc type.

your going to have to build some custom adapting plates, or something similar, with any dohc/sohc combo

smug510

ok i got a video for now , its kinda crapy i will have a better one for ya soon enough ,

you have to copy this link and paste in your browser

http://www.imagestation.com/pi...3.mpg

enjoy

TrunkMonkey
Car: 2000 lincoln navigator

who makes that header?

-demetrius

smug510

pacesetter makes it , not to bad , i think its better that hotshot imo , its a 4 to 1 with 1.5 in primaries and 2.5 in collector .

raging panda
Car: s13 coupe

Smug, are you using the SOHC ps/alternator setup, or DOHC, or are they the same and I'm just an idiot?

plus1gees

couldn't get to the video. it comes up "page not found". I want to see that sh*t. It sounds badass. I just happen to have a sohc sitting im my car right now, and an extra dohc head sitting in my garage. hmmm. sounds like a plan.

raging panda

My buddy is hooking me up with his blown E and I will pick up a DE head soon because this sounds like a really good idea. I really want 200 rwhp N/A. If this doesn't work im gonna have to go turbo.

smug510

you guys have to copy the link and paste it into your browser for it to work , i will try to get a longer and better one , i took this with my friends digital camera , that also does small video clips

Nismo4Banger240
Car: Racing

Man....this thread is great! You Ka folks got me second guessing my SR swap plans. Im looking forward to more vids.....again smug GREAT work, thanx for all the info!

keep up the good work

smug510

raging panda wrote:Smug, are you using the SOHC ps/alternator setup, or DOHC, or are they the same and I'm just an idiot?

ya they are different and i am using the sohc stuff, i like the sohc b/c you dont have to run the p/s pump

xxtrizz
Car: Cars, computers

Why not just put high compression pistons in a ka24e? I dont see the benifit to putting in the dohc head? pleas elaborate the true reasoning behind this.

HaveBlue
Car: 1990 Auto 240sx Hatch

well its partly because you can do it with junkyard parts. how much does a ka24de head cost? people pull them and junk them all the time. someone GAVE me a sohc head! i would guess you can do this swap for the cost of a head gasket and some sweat.

xxtrizz
Car: Cars, computers

Ok but really what is the point of doing the mod? Does changing the head over automatically merit a compression of 11.8 or whatever he listed with the sohc pistons installed?

raging panda

Would have a DOHC mean that I need to use the DOHC lower timing chain cover because I have to reuse the DOHC alternator/ps pump? Any ideas because I'm almost positive that no one has encountered this problem personally. If I were to use the DOHC lower tcc then would I have to use the DOHC block or could the SOHC be fitted somehow? I love the idea and I have a friend who said he would give me his SOHC block but I'm not sure how to get around these problems. Should I just swap the pistons, get new rings and get the block honed for altima rings? Or could I somehow make the SOHC block work with the DOHC accessories. No A/C so I don't need to think about that.

s13conv
Car: '86 GT-S Coupe

So what is the anticipated power increase? I have a SOHC in my car and a I also have a complete 92 convertible parts car. It would be awesome if this was an easy way to 'bolt on some good hp".

deviousKA

xxtrizz wrote:Ok but really what is the point of doing the mod? Does changing the head over automatically merit a compression of 11.8 or whatever he listed with the sohc pistons installed?

Yes, de head on e block automatically raises the compression to 11.1/11.7:1. This is due to less dish volume of e pistons

Many people may not see the advantage of the dohc head on sohc block. This does not only provide a high compression setup with ka24e block, but the ability to use the dohc head on other sohc nissan/datun blocks (l18, l20, z20, z22, z24 etc..). This means the dohc head can be used with many custom hybrid bore/stroke combos.

heres a few necessary modifications to fit dohc head on blocks mentioned above. (other than what has already been discussed in this topic)

all l, z series blocks with l, z series cranks must have a custom lower gear made, as well as custom length lower chain.

l series blocks must have plug inserted in block

external inline thermostat must be used

timing chain cover that is designed for the particular block must be used, as well as a l, z series type crank damper

We (as in 240sx/ka builders as a group) have not even scratched the surface as far as what can be done with l/z/ka hybrid builds, and hp/rpm potential in general.

McAdam
Car: I like cars and my motorcycle. boats are fun too

amen, brotha!! only real problem with L/Z hybrids I see it boring them out big enough to clear valves on the KA DOHC head. but, thats only minor really. you can always just notch the tops of the bores for valve clearance. I know a guy who is putting a DOHC KA head on an L series block right now. he just bored out the lower KA crank gear and re-keyed it. hint: its not a 4 cylinder L series block... muahahahahhA! the timing chain and tensioners may be a slicht problem, but nothing serious, I can assure you. this'll be fun.

McAdam

deviousKA

hehe, 90.2mm is enough, i grab all the siamesed bore z20 blocks i can find.

another tidbit: late z24i use single chain and guides arent as wide.
McAdam wrote: hint: its not a 4 cylinder L series block... muahahahahhA! McAdam

:freak :eyecrazy :oy: :thumbup

McAdam

what did the Z20E siamesed blocks come in? I was planning on going Z22E, as they already have an 87mm bore, and +2mm isn't really a problem on any L series motor. as far as the Z24I and single row timing chains... do they use the same tooth count as other L series motors? 20 on bottom, 40 on top or do they use the KA 18 on bottom, 36 on top? I have access to a yard here in phx that gets $70 for short blocks. so I can stockpile parts very cheap.

and yes, I finally found someone with access to enough CNC stuff to build my monstAr! lol.

McAdam

deviousKA

z20e came in 200sx and late 510 but these ones arent siamesed. The z20s is the one your after and is very rare, came in some 510's and late 620/early 720 trucks. z24i uses same count as all z and l series, really tho using dual chain guides with a single chain is no problem.

what machine was used to bore out your friends lower ka gear? im still trying to work that out, my machinist doesnt like the idea of the keyway skipping on his tool.

i have bored one of those z20s blocks out to 90.2mm no problem, along with my 88mm stroked l20b crank and forged pistons, its going to be great. hehe i want fj power bad

mod on!

McAdam

so, i am looking for a Z20 with a carb on it, correct? I think I can find one. theres a few old *** trucks here, lol! how was the cyl wall thickness on that 90.2mm bore? did you have it sonic checked? just wondering.... I was under the inpression that he just used a giant drill press, that would seem the simplest. I mean, the bit would be self centering, and if it tore up the bit, who cares? you can get bits cheap enough. as far as re-keying, I have no idea. I wouldn''t think it would be too hard, just use come sort of grinder or something to notch it. it may be off by a degree or 2, but wehn your doing something this stupid, your gonna have to degree it anyway, with the shorter, custom timing chain and all.

another option I was looking at was cutting the outer ring of teeth off of an L series cam sprocket and welding it on the KADE idler sprocket. theres eough room for clearance as far as depth, but i haven't checked if the L series 40 tooth sprocket has too much diameter, which may pose a slight problem. the diameter of an L series cam sprocket is about 1/2" bigger than a KADE sprocket. but I havent had access to a KADE head since I shipped mine out to check if it'll fit.

but yes, homemade FJ > SR! lol

I have an S13 hatch still in need of a transplant after chuckin a rod on the old SOHC. looks like I found my motor. with a nice turbo, of course. what rod are you going to be using? I was thinking +1mm VG pistons and Z20E rods i could get the VG30ET pistons and have strentght for turbo-ing and an 88mm bore wouldn'g be stressing the block much. btw, what bore is the VG33E?

McAdam

s13conv
Car: '86 GT-S Coupe

KA24E short block w/ KA24DE head > ?

deviousKA

I did not get the block sonic tested which i should have, cylinder walls are still much thicker at 90.2mm than mexico ka24e block at 90mm (thickest walls for ka). Yeah your looking for a carbbed z20, you will notice an almost fully closed deck when you remove head, mainly no passages between bores. This is a medium deck ht block like l20, z22.

i am using rods from a different engine (mitsubishi) in my z20 shortblock. These use .080" smaller journals, so i was able to get the l20b crank offset ground .040" to stroke 2mm overall. These also came in the 150mm length i needed and used a 22mm pin. I am using select forged ford pistons in this as well.

Im not sure on the vg3.3 bore, but i know it is considerable amount larger than vg30. We tried to use these in a big bore vg30i project.

Ill end up getting my lower timing gears bored out to fit l20 snout.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”