ok guys here it is proof

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
s13conv
Car: '86 GT-S Coupe

Has anyone else done this successfully?

Who's going to do the first write up?

Moffett

So any news on this? I am going to put a NA KA in my AE86. I have a twin cam engine and tranny with a rod going through the block. So now all I need is a sohc block.

How does it drive? Does it have good power down low? The whole reason I am installing a KA is for the low rpm torque.

mys13rocks
Car: drifting, touge, racing, fixing cars, D1

good job on the ka info thnx

PureInsanity
Car: 89 S13

Bringing this back from the dead. LOL!

Im currently in the process of this swap and had a few questions that I dont think were covered...

OK AFAIK, I have the low compression motor to start w/, I have the IAT in the air box, (will know for sure when I pull the motor and run the #s) is there better cams to run other than the stockers? Well check that, there are better cams but can they be run w/ the high compression build. Ive heard of 2 Altima ex cams, but not sure if they will hit.

I have stripped EVERYTHING off the intake and will be going back bare bones, CELs dont bother me if I know why its on. LOL! The tubes under the intake, 4 tubes going to 1 larger common tube, is that the PCV? Im guessing it is and will it live w/out it if the tube is hooked to the intake? If I am wrong please say so and Ill put them back on. I was kinda thinking it would be a decent place for a small fogger setup. But if they need to go back Ill put them on and add N20 whereever I need to. (when the time comes) Ill have to take a pic of the intake and what I plan to plug off to make sure its all OK. But basicly all I plan to put back is the intake, everything else is adios. BTW, Emissions testing arent a concern where I live.

I started porting the head tonite and as soon as it goes to the machine shop for surfacing and valve job Ill start the intake porting.

Secondary butterflies are gone.

Ill be running the SOHC throttle body since it fits and I didnt get one w/ the donor DE motor.

The MAF looks awfully small in relation to the TB, I havent measured it out yet, but is there a better MAF that will work w/ the SOHC ECU? I have access to full wiring diagrams at work, just need to know if the ECU will even read it if rewired.

Has anyone succesfully rewired the DOHC dist to work w/ the SOHC ECU? See above statement.

I read the power steering has to go...Thats not a big deal, but is there a manual rack available for the 240? I just found that part out last nite and have looked some, but havent found anything yet.

How about some long term reports on this swap. Is all still going well ETC.

I think thatll cover it for now. Sorry for all the questions but I havent seen any answers to them in my searches.

PureInsanity
Car: 89 S13

Well, for an update if anyone cares...heavy porting is done on the head and intakes, waiting on a gasket kit to come in and Ill do the port matching and then Ill just need to polish.

I moked up everything tonite just to get a first hand look at how it will all work out. Bare head, no vavles, cams, chains, nothing.

The (what I am assuming is the) PCV looks to need to be hooked up so Ill put those back on.

The SOHC TB doesnt look like itll work after putting it on the mocked up motor in the car. It physically bolts up and seems to fit the throat of the intake perfect, but the cable wont hook up to the TB. Soo Ill get a DOHC one now, unless there is a better alternative. Help....someone.....

W/ the exception of the PCV tubes, it looks like everything else I planned to ditch will be fine. Just gotta make some block off plates.

I took a while tonite and REALLY looked at the filler plate that will be needed for the upper and lower front covers to mate and I think I have a decent plan in mind. Just have to work on it and see how it goes. While the lower cover is off Ill have it machined to make a space for a decent gauge metal plate to go in there and use the DE head gasket complete w/ out cutting off the front of the gasket and making it all bolt on. More or less. Well thats the basic version of the plan anyhow, need to take a few more measurements and look closer at how practical it is.

All_Motor_KA
Car: 1989 240sx SE

Does anyone know the long term effects of this??? Anyone drive thousands of miles on it? I wanna know the reliability of this.

S13 240SX
Car: 93 Mazda Miata

god damnit!! none of the pics work and i need to see them. lol i just found this thread and only reason why i found it becasue I was thinking aobut swapping a twin cam ka head on my sohc ka block.

ugh i wished the pics still work.

sommmatt
Car: 1989 240SX

Anyone rehost the pics please?

driftiteasy0113
Car: SR PIGNOOOZZZE

please
sommmatt wrote:Anyone rehost the pics please?

Crazyirish
Car: Nothing noteworthy at the moment...

lol. the pics were missing 5 plus years ago dude. good f*$&ing luck.

driftiteasy0113
Car: SR PIGNOOOZZZE

hey,worth a shot haha

blownhemi
Car: S13 200SX CA18DET HX35

Why not take the DOHC upper AND lower timing chain cover? - does it not fit the SOHC block, bolts won't line up? - different oil pump shouldn't be a problem, if you can bring the oil pump drive gear over from the DOHC, or is it? crankshaft notches are in the same place, only the SOHC has one more of them on its longer snout. - water pump pulley... is it at the same location, "depth" as the SOHC? if not, some pulley and bracket fabrication can still help this, can't it? - does the DOHC lower timing cover necessitate a DOHC oil pan?

Yeah, I know it's a 6 year old, if not older topic, but one can hope, right?

lptimmy
Car: 1990 nissan 240sx hatchback

this is probably on o the best threads i've read on this swap great info and pics included.

Crazyirish
Car: Nothing noteworthy at the moment...

The pics havent worked in years. Its ok, you can just admit you want to get into the classifieds, but can't think of anything to post.

kamlukekailey86
Car: 92 240sx

hey man, the next time u get on if u dont mind please send me the pics from the build. i couldnt c them on ur post. if u cant send them on here u can send them 2 my email. [email protected]. thanks man. now after this i hope every1 will shut up about this not working. lol

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”