Oil Pressure Sensor Replacment - DIY

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
fastboatman29212
Car: left this forum. Sold my truck.

I traced an oil leak to the oil pressure sending unit. Here's how I fixed it.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

niiice. :bigthumb:

dogred
Car: 1983 D720

The one I got from Orielly's auto had the original style connection. Much easier to put on and I used a deep socket, swivile and exntensions because I did not want to drain my oil.

fastboatman29212

I had to drain my oil anyway, plus I really could not take any good pics with the tire in the way.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

Yo, FBM... just curious if I can pick your brain on this one a bit. I'm off to work now, so no pics available at the moment, but I'm doing an aftermarket style manual oil pressure gauge. Just wondering if this is the location I should be trying to tap into in order to read that gauge properly.

fastboatman29212

Yes, I believe so. I just replaced my oil pressure gauge on my 66 Ford Galaxie and the setup was the same (except a V8 of course, LOL). Anyway, it had a pipe threaded into the block right next to the oil filter. If you just put the pressure gauge sending unit in the same place as the original switch, that will probably work just fine, and you would just be deleting the factory switch. On my FORD however, a "T" was connected to the end of the pipe so you didn't have to delete the stock sending unit for the dash light. The pics of the V8 setup are below. If you wanted, you could do the same thing. Get a short piece of pipe with the same threads as your oil pressure switch. Teflon tape the threads and connect it to the block. Put a "T" on the open end and mount your new oil pressure sending unit to one of the 2 open ends and the factory switch to the other open end. If your new oil pressure gauge has the thin tubing, make sure you prime the tubing to get the air out before you connect it to the gauge itself. FYI: My new gauge on the FORD is electric and eliminates the thin tubing.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

Yeah, considering I don't have/need the stock sensor I'll just replace it in the same location.

Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

Yeh, toss the stock switch and put a gauge in there. Some of the VDO gauge sending units come with a spade connector for you to hook the OEM light switch to it. Either way, oil psi gauge>idiot light all day.

Superflyers
Car: 1982 Nissan Datsun king cab pickup truck
2010 Nissan versa

Any chance you can repost those pics. It's just showing a photo bucket image and not the actual picture. I think my switch is bad. My oil light started flickering the other day when I went through a lot of water, but acted normal again once it got dry. I am curious on how to change it.

fastboatman29212

Superflyers wrote:Any chance you can repost those pics. It's just showing a photo bucket image and not the actual picture. I think my switch is bad. My oil light started flickering the other day when I went through a lot of water, but acted normal again once it got dry. I am curious on how to change it.
My photobucket account will reset soon and the photos will show up again.
Sorry, but I have the original photos on my old computer.

Anyway, you can see the pics on my photobucket album. The switch is located on the passenger side of the engine, just behind the oil filter. Draining the oil and removing the oil filter made the pics come out clearer but it isn't necessary. Try to buy a switch that has the same style connector as the original. I didn't check and so I had to switch the connection on the end of the yellow wire to a spade style connector. No big deal. It works fine. use a little Teflon thread tape on the new oil pressure switch.
Here are the links to the pics on photobucket.

switch is still in engine and has a yellow wire = http://s618.photobucket.com/user/fastbo ... rt=3&o=190

old oil pressure switch = http://s618.photobucket.com/user/fastbo ... rt=3&o=188

new oil pressure switch = http://s618.photobucket.com/user/fastbo ... rt=3&o=186

New switch installed in engine block = http://s618.photobucket.com/user/fastbo ... rt=3&o=183

Yellow wire connected = http://s618.photobucket.com/user/fastbo ... rt=3&o=181

Superflyers
Car: 1982 Nissan Datsun king cab pickup truck
2010 Nissan versa

Thank you so much for posting that. i really appreciate it!

ibjman
Car: 1986 720 King Cab Z24

I'm wondering what the original pressure sender set up looked like when the truck came from the factory with the optional oil pressure gauge installed.
Can I assume hat those models also still had the warning light in the dash?

I know I can install a gauge sender and an oil pressure switch with a Tee fitting.
I would like a photo of the factory original set up.
Thanks, ibj...

Return to “Datsun 720”