OFFICIAL: NICOclub Time Attack S13 Build Thread NOW WITH VIDEO

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
eazye2000
Car: S13 KA-DET

I'm still down for some welding if you guys need. Or any other type of help. I need to get out of my house every now and then. My wife drives me NUTS

corey240
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX Base Drift Machine

wwo this is really awsome guys, finish it befor gtlive and have it there lol really though, is that dash fiberglass? if so you coulda done beter! i know its a time attack car but make a wood frame like super gt (jgtc for you people who didnt know the name changed years ago) then tape that up and lay fiberglass matt over that, hell honestly if i had extra stuff or sombody sent money, id tear the dash outa my spare s13 and make a niceass one and ship it up there, i like fibergalssing **** lol, you need it email me i can do some nice stuff, keep it awsome, whens the drycabon frontend coming in?

MagikDragon
Car: 1991 240SX, 1992 240SX, 1986 MB 190E 2.3-16

Corey that dash is hella light, and it wasn't trimmed or obviously painted in that picture. we molded it off the original dash and it still needs to be sanded and painted. It will be ready for GT live, there is no doubt about that. hope I see you there again man. I can't wait to get the car on the track,

Evan, my neighbor has a 220V MIG, how would you like to take a road trip to CT in a few weeks? I could possibly pick you up on my way back from New Hampshire.

eds13
Car: 89 240sx Hatch, 07 Armada LE, 06 M35x, 97 C35 Laurel, 94 JDM Q45

how about that wiring nightmare. lol i hate wiring

DJButton
Car: 2010 Nissan 240sx

Yeah Sean, Erik has a welder of his own as well. Hopefully we can convince him to lug it up to my garage as well. lol Anyway, I'll be in touch man.

Ali 556
Car: '95 S14 Se....

''this is NOT a trash

NOT to throw away''

lol @ the dash

eazye2000

Yeah, I'm down for welding. Just give me a weeks notice to get the tank filled and we can get it done.

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

Yeah that dash was at a
Ali 556 wrote:''this is NOT a trash

NOT to throw away''

lol @ the dash
That dash was at a Tweeter store that was closing. It was amazing the stuf they were just throwing away (nevermind the stuff I walked off with) and I was worried someone would toss that too.

Oh well back to reading a FSM to know what wires to cut in this thing.

a_ahmed
Car: 1991 240sx fastback

There's no such thing as 'these brakes are too much' lol... Sheesh.. I have z32 brake setup with semi track pads.. i love it.. but i want more. Why settle for less. More does not always mean better, but more done in a proper and setup way = good.

Usually the people who say "why do you need that, you don't need that" tend to be people who don't have it, can't afford it, or never will get it or something along those lines lol.

The whole point of adding more things to a car (the right way) is to perfect a car and make it beyond anything else. At least that's how I look at it. Not what others want or have.

I really look forward to this project

the converted
2020 Taco

Roll cage came in today. Mocked it up in my living room, room mate wasn't to pleased but whatever. Looks pretty crappy because things still need to be cut to length but it get's you the idea. The front bars are going to go to the strut towers but there was no way for me to hold them up easily.

S13Teddy
Car: R32 Skyline, S13

Whats in that cage?

(And I dont mean the roll cage...)

ZL-Auto
Car: Zerolift Autolab - 513-874-2508 - [email protected]

Be SURE the rules allow the front bars to attach to the strut towers...for our Formula D car, Scca rules wont let the strut towers be linkedto the Roll Cage.

the converted
2020 Taco

If that's the case then I guess we won't be doing that. Don't want to limit what events we can participate in.

As far as what's in the cage it's a hedgehog. He's a little *****.

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

Sounds cool! I'll be watching...

TRBOMOFO
Car: S13.5 built redtop

looking good guys

spider_slayer
Car: s14 240sx, s13 240sx

what do you need in the way of parts donations?

i have a torn apart ka that i'd be willing to give.....and honestly pay for shipping too. (i jsut want it gone)

DJButton
Car: 2010 Nissan 240sx

Hmm, that's alot of cage, I definitely approve!

eazye2000

Holy jeebus, looks good!

Looking forward to seeing this thing get put together. Let me know if you need anything guys.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

a_ahmed wrote:There's no such thing as 'these brakes are too much' lol... Sheesh.. I have z32 brake setup with semi track pads.. i love it.. but i want more. Why settle for less. More does not always mean better, but more done in a proper and setup way = good.

Usually the people who say "why do you need that, you don't need that" tend to be people who don't have it, can't afford it, or never will get it or something along those lines lol.

The whole point of adding more things to a car (the right way) is to perfect a car and make it beyond anything else. At least that's how I look at it. Not what others want or have.

I really look forward to this project
Well if you want to be a douche about it, I could argue the fact that bigger brakes add more unsprung weight, reducing the handling capabilities of the vehicle. They also add more rotational Inertia. If they aren't overheating and boiling the brake fluid, or producing brake fade, there is no point.

The point is, a set of Z32 Brakes with a good set of rotors should do just fine. Money saved by going with them instead of your baller 23" rotor 10 piston caliper setup could be spent elsewhere for a better value.

ZL-Auto

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Well if you want to be a douche about it, I could argue the fact that bigger brakes add more unsprung weight, reducing the handling capabilities of the vehicle. They also add more rotational Inertia. If they aren't overheating and boiling the brake fluid, or producing brake fade, there is no point.

The point is, a set of Z32 Brakes with a good set of rotors should do just fine. Money saved by going with them instead of your baller 23" rotor 10 piston caliper setup could be spent elsewhere for a better value.
So, according to your post, bigger brakes make a car handle worse... but then again you wouldnt put 14" Brembos on a stock suspension S13...they would go on a fully prepared car to 'allow' for added performance.And you need more than just 'good' rotors to keep from having brake fade... mostly it is the pad and the fluid responsible for brake lasting quality on the track. We run a Wilwood ultralite setup on our Race Car, with a set of Hawk Hp Plus pads typically, but if it is a road course type of race... Hawk HT10 or Hawk Blues with ATE super blue or Castrol SRF fluid. And in this case the brakes overall weight is less due to the 2 piece aluminum hat rotor design and lightweight 4 piston calipers...which means there is less rotating mass and unspring weight on the front of the car... One other thing....bigger - better brakes, allow you to accelerate longerand brake later in a turn, when done properly overall lap times will be faster.And before you go hating...... the Z32 Alum. caliper setup should be fine to use, not saying that its not at all, simply stating that Racing designed brakes are going to be better suited to a "Track Car."

BUT, i do like the reference to a 23" rotor with 10 piston calipers... isnt that Buell Front brake almost 20" ???
Modified by ZL-Auto at 1:54 PM 7/10/2007

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

ZL-Auto wrote:
BUT, i do like the reference to a 23" rotor with 10 piston calipers... isnt that Buell Front brake almost 20" ???

Modified by ZL-Auto at 1:54 PM 7/10/2007
haha, no idea. I meant to include brake fluid in that list I posted up there. But yeah, I agree that big brake kits are also made lighter as well (lower unsprung weight), as far as reducing rotational intertia... I'd have to see the 2 rotors side by side with raw data, so I can bust out some equations and see if that is true. I thought most light weight rotors shedded their weight towards the hub rather than the outer rim of the rotor. Either way, I'm sure its not THAT significant, I was just trying to make a point about cost effectiveness.

the converted
2020 Taco

So who wants to donate a set of nice lightweight brakes to the cause?

Fenris
Car: 2011 Subaru WRX
1989 Nissan 240SX

Great progress! looks like its gonna bs solid.

ZL-Auto

the converted wrote:So who wants to donate a set of nice lightweight brakes to the cause?
Donate... I like that, as soon as i can get one of the manufacturers to GIVE (as in Free) me a set... i will Donate.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

My point exactly. So Z32 Brakes it is? Great

[/Stupid brake discussion]

the converted
2020 Taco

So now that we are done with the stupid brake discussion here are the updates for the weekend.

Fisrt off we got the engine bay and the door openings stitch welded primered and painted.

All nice bright and purdy. Leaks should be super easy to spot now.

Then the man with the engine showed up and droped off the super elusive Sr20 Gold top (all assembly required) trans ecu wiring harness clutch and god knows what else is burried in these boxes.

I'm just glad to see that this project is really starting to get moving! The car will be finding a new home in New Hampshire soon so commuting time between car and people will be a lot less than the 2.5-3 hours that it is now.

eazye2000

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I can't get ahold of that trailer for you guys after all. I'll still work on getting one, though. I may just buy a trailer. My wife wont let me buy the new truck that I want. So maybe I'll buy a trailer, and put a Reese Hitch on her '04 Malibu. Maybe she'll think twice about letting me get a truck. And by that time, I'll have the trailer. So we're all set!

MaximA32

Niceeeeeeeeee

BDrags
Car: 1993 240SX Convertible

PHOTO UPDATE!!

Some welding

Had to use this because of the person who was welding

Snap-On tool box

Drag ready Nova

Can you guess whats under here?

MaximA32

Could be a few GM muscle cars judging by the body lines given away by the cover. Not to mention the beauty rings on the wheels.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”