OFFICIAL: NicoClub's Rally 240SX, by Finnish Fury Rallysport

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
kenno470
Car: 1995Ish Nissan 240SX (P-I: Retired 2012)
1997 Nissan 240SX (P-II: Began 2012)

Can you use an aftermarket crank pulley? I have a very rare Unorthodox Racing Pulley for that motor. Was on the motor that used the pistons I sent you.

DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

I don't recall there being any regulations on crank pulleys. I recently deleted the 2011 rules from my computer and I'm not sure where my hard copy is. Otherwise, I'd take a look.

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

DeXteR wrote: You can get vacuum caps from any parts store, but they're usually crap. They harden up and crack. I've never had good luck with them. Why don't you pinch the end and weld them shut? You can put a boost leak tester on the throttle body and check for leaks.

JB Weld would do the same thing. Just don't forget to leak check.

If all else fails, pair them up with a chunk of hose. Use a T-fitting to get the odd fitting.
I will have to check out the parts store. If I have to replace them every other event, I would be ok with that. Im not up for linking everything with hoses. Half the reason I got rid of everything was to clean it all up. Adding back the rats nest would be no bueno. I thought about welding them up, but it just didnt seem like the best route. Plus remember, the plan is ITBs, so I dont necesarilly need a permanant solution.
SX APPEAL wrote:Would've been nice to see some Finnish fury at 100aw, it was completely dominated by the Polish this year LOL. Maybe next go around...
I wanted to be there, but I needed to budget this year. 100AW is one of the events I have always wanted to run. Next year I plan to make a hard push to get there.
kenno470 wrote:Can you use an aftermarket crank pulley? I have a very rare Unorthodox Racing Pulley for that motor. Was on the motor that used the pistons I sent you.
Yes. I will sum up here what we discussed via text. The UR underdrive pulley would be sweet, but I dont feel safe reving the crap out of this thing without some sort of harmonic damper. So for that reason, stock is the way to go unless ATI decides to sponsor me (hint hint).

Looks like Cale will be coming up this weekend to give me a hand. Need to wrap up a few loose ends so we can install the engine on Friday, and hopefully start wiring it on Saturday. Hey Kenno, I saw all the pictures of the harness for the pink car on FB, want to come build mine? :gapteeth:

IanS

Got the front cover in last night. Cleaned, sealed, and installed. Need to run into town for a few last minute bits and pieces, and she is ready to go into the car. Hope to have it installed tonight so we can start wiring. Stay tuned.

IanS

Engine is installed. Everything except the wiring and a random bit here and there is hooked up and ready to go. Sadly, I have discovered there are some differences between S13 and S14 distributers. The wiring doesn't match up at all. I currently have 2.5 S13 wiring harnesses. So I would prefer to keed things S13. The real question is, will an S13 distributer fit in the S14 front cover? Im hoping so, because I would prefer to use the external coil.

IanS

Betting get some pictures up huh.

Off the engine stand.

Flywheel and clutch installed.

Had to scavenge some random bits here and there so I had to dig out some of my other engines lol. So much KA, but still so many missing parts.

Just hangin out.

Hey, look at that. (Temporary valve cover is temporary)

And now on to the nasty. OE S13 Engine harness.

MMMM, labels.

:eek: :eek:

Garbage.

I feel a headache coming on.

Like a wire bomb went off.

Oh my head.........

And that is about where I left off for the evening. I am about ready to start making connections, but I have run into a few curious things. Nissan uses some really goofy stuff on the ignition side of life. The coil is rigged into a "Power Transistor" and a "Reducer and Condensor". I know what each of these things would do by itself, but the colaboration has me wondering. Can I just let the Link power the coil directly? Do I really need all this crap? Its just a 2 wire coil, how complicated could it be? If its too much hassel, I will just get an aftermarket coil. Also, who wants to sell me a distributer?

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Maybe an option: S14 bottom half with S13 top half. Is that possible?

So, let me know when registration is open for Magnum Opus. I'll write the check.

CTGordon

DeXteR wrote:So, let me know when registration is open for Magnum Opus. I'll write the check.
You are in luck Sir!!

Registration for Magnum is due to open in the next day or two. The cutoff for early registration before the numbers go up is April 12th. Jenny's already sitting in MY silly seat, but I'm always open to sponsors, I'd even put a Nissan badge on my Impreza if that helps :biggrin: might even be one of the parts I need to replace after Ian's one-upmanship at Sno*... Heaven help us if this trading cars thing continues, I'll bring 'er to the finish Ian, but how hard will she be limping this time :)

IanS

CTGordon wrote:
DeXteR wrote:So, let me know when registration is open for Magnum Opus. I'll write the check.
You are in luck Sir!!

Registration for Magnum is due to open in the next day or two. The cutoff for early registration before the numbers go up is April 12th. Jenny's already sitting in MY silly seat, but I'm always open to sponsors, I'd even put a Nissan badge on my Impreza if that helps :biggrin: might even be one of the parts I need to replace after Ian's one-upmanship at Sno*... Heaven help us if this trading cars thing continues, I'll bring 'er to the finish Ian, but how hard will she be limping this time :)
Only thing limping at the finish line will be you from the load in your race suit. Car will be so fast by then, it will scare the crap right out of you. Truth.

Dex. Hope to have the car running next week or so. I will let you know. I think a pre LSPR showdown is in order between Chris and I.

IanS

Hadn't thought about a hybrid dizzy. Let me check tonight. Maybe I can stick the guts from sohc dizzy into the s14 one I have.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Looking good man!! You know... aside from the wiring that is. That looks like a nightmare.

CTGordon

FlatBlackIan wrote:I think a pre LSPR showdown is in order between Chris and I.
Go ahead, make my day...

IanS

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:Looking good man!! You know... aside from the wiring that is. That looks like a nightmare.
Thanks, it had to get worse before it could get better....
CTGordon wrote:
FlatBlackIan wrote:I think a pre LSPR showdown is in order between Chris and I.
Go ahead, make my day...
lol

Made some more progress on the wiring tonight.

Slimmed down and a little more organized.

Trimmed and ready to start connecting to the ECU.

Hope to make connections tomorrow, and begin testing all my circuits.

Distributer should be on the way tomorrow, crank pulley should be here wednesday thanks to Ajax, then the only thing between me and a running engine is a valve cover, and a base tune.... Im getting excited.

kenno470
Car: 1995Ish Nissan 240SX (P-I: Retired 2012)
1997 Nissan 240SX (P-II: Began 2012)

Aside from the internal vs. external coil, the S13 and S14 distributors are the same. I am switching from the S14 internal coil to the S13 external since I'm going with coil on plug. If you had to you could still use the S14 distributor with an external coil. Just run the coil wires that normally would go into the six pin connector over to your external coil. Easy.

IanS

Q
kenno470 wrote:Aside from the internal vs. external coil, the S13 and S14 distributors are the same. I am switching from the S14 internal coil to the S13 external since I'm going with coil on plug. If you had to you could still use the S14 distributor with an external coil. Just run the coil wires that normally would go into the six pin connector over to your external coil. Easy.
True, but the S14 Cap has no post for coil, and the plug is different.

I also answered my own question about the coil, and needing the transistor and reducer/condensor. I need both.

I started making connections to the ecu last night. Think I am 2/3 done or so.

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

So about those sponsors... I noticed registration is open for MagOps. The entry fee is much higher than I anticipated for a one-day regional event.

Let's talk after you get the car done and hopefully before early registration closes.

IanS

So, looks like I will be waiting a little longer to get the car running again.

I got the wiring harness all built, and installed. Tested my connections and installed the ECU.

Fired up the tuning software, and loaded the partial base map I had built. Tested some of my auxiliary outputs, sensor inputs, and digital inputs. Everything seemed to be working. I was able to manually trigger the injectors, as well as the coil. All seemed kosher, then I tried syncing the cam/crank sensors. Nothing. I was getting a sporadic reading from the cam sensor, but could not calibrate anything.

After getting in contact with Link, I have dicovered that a special trigger sub board needs to be installed in the ECU.

Looks like my nearly free standalone setup just got a little less nearly free. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get parts from New Zealand. And really hopefully I dont have to send the EMS all the way out there, wait for it to be fixed, then shipped back. That would le suck.

IanS

2 weeks since I shipped the ECU, and no word. Best part is, the guy I contacted's email inbox is now full. Great. Hopefully I dont have to go all crazy on them.

Anyone ever dealt with Performance Developments in Costa Mesa CA? Thats where I sent it.

IanS

ECU has been with them since March 28th. Still no word.
Last edited by IanS on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Razi
Car: Moo

Bastards!

IanS

Contact has been made.

The new trigger board has been fitted to my ECU, and everything tested out properly. Just need to wait for it to be shipped back, and we will be in business.

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

What did you end up having to do? Write a letter and wait for one back via the USPS?

IanS

In my
DeXteR wrote:What did you end up having to do? Write a letter and wait for one back via the USPS?
Its a long story that will be told once the ECU is back in my hands and the car is running.......

IanS

UPS attempted to deliver the ECU today. Hope to pick it up in the morning. I am so excite!!!!!

IanS

Soooo, I picked up the ECU, plugged it in, and tried to run the trigger syncing program and ......... Nothing.

Same exact results as before. It still will not pick up either trigger, and wont give me the option to setup the triggers indipendantly.

I have tripple checked my wiring. There are a bunch of switches inside the ECU that have to be in various positions for things to work properly. The tech who installed the board made some vague comment about not being positive on the settings. Tried to call him, but had to leave a message. I feel like I am banging my head against the wall......

IanS

So while I was stock not having any contact with Link over the weekend I got to work on some other projects. I swapped out the Bilstien suspension for some KYB GR2s with stock springs, so I can break in the engine.

I also replaced one of the rear thrust arms. It had torn one of the bushing sleeves nearly off. I will post pictures of it later.

Cleaned up some of the random stuff that had built up on the car. Spare bolts, and extra parts and what not, then while I had a second set of hands I installed the hood. So close I can feel it

Its mid morning in NZ and I already had an initial response from Link NZ. I have my fingers crossed that she will run tonight.

Razi
Car: Moo

Yaaay!

IanS

Solved one of my issues. There are apparently some quirks invovled with running a G2 ECU with G3 firmware. Which is what I am doing. I had to switch on the Nissan dedicated trigger setup, and configure it myself. I am now reading RPM in the tuning software, and I have spark as well as injector pulse. I achieved 2 backfires in the exhaust, but no start. I need to recheck my base timing, and make sure the distributer isn't a tooth off. Progress.

SX APPEAL
Car: 06 G35 Coupe 6MT
95 Maxima SE 5MT

She's coughing into life haha

IanS

At long last she roared to life. At almost exactly Midnight central the new engine took its first breath. I spent hours banging my head against the was trying to figure out why it would start. I checked everything multiple times. I had good spark, I had fuel, I had compression, yet nothing. I checked and double checked my ignition timing, and spark quality. I tinkered with every single setting I could imagine to try to bring her to life, and nothing. As a last ditch effort I pulled the valve cover a second time to re check cam timing. For kicks I pulled the distributer cap. Over the last few days I have had the distributer out at least twice while working through the sync issue. Well, either the very first install I brain farted, or one of the later ones I wasn't careful enough, I managed to put the distributer in 180 degrees off. Spark was happening at the right time via timing light on the crank pulley, but not on the right stroke. I swapped it, and boom goes the dynamite. The rest is history.

Video of start, idle, and rev is uploading now. I will post it here in the morning. Or if you are antsy pantsy, it should auto post to the Finnish Fury Rallysport facebook page in the next 90 minutes or so. You can find that at www.facebook.com/finnishfury

Return to “240sx General Discussion”