Official Lighting Thread

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
WillV
Car: 2006 M35 Moonlight White/Tan Interior

Well Larz, I hope it wasn't me that got Fetucini shaking her head at you since I believe I introduced you to the lights! I will also be getting them, but will be waiting for the black Friday sale that TRS hinted... Can't wait to see the pics! If you could, I'd love to see one pic facing the lights from outside the car.. just to see color temperature and how it looks. Enjoy!
Last edited by WillV on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WillV

Oh, and I have an opinion question from you all. I am getting the Philips LED Daylight 8 DRL units to put on my car. What I now do not know is if I want the V3 Triton Switchbacks as well. Do you all think it would look bad to have the dot drls in the headlamp housings in addition to strips by the fogs? Or should I just do regular amber signals in the housings. Because the Philips LED 8 is a sure thing, I am not just doing the Triton.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

In my opinion, having both would be a bit much. On a large vehicle like a pick-up or huge SUV they may fly, but on a regular sedan it would seem like over-kill to me.

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

I tend to agree. I have had the Triton's installed for three years and they work great. Doing that and the strips would make it look like one of those pickups where someone has installed so many LED's that it just looks gaudy.

WillV

Yeah I figured that it might be a bit much, but was wondering what you guys thought. Thanks!

Larz

WillV wrote:Well Larz, I hope it wasn't me that got Fetucini shaking her head at you since I believe I introduced you to the lights! I will also be getting them, but will be waiting for the black Friday sale that TRS hinted... Can't wait to see the pics! If you could, I'd love to see one pic facing the lights from outside the car.. just to see color temperature and how it looks. Enjoy!
Installed today !
I was charged 1 hour labor @ $159. Yah that wasn't so nice, but I can't be bothered to lift the car, remove the wheel, etc (my tires are 255/40/19's and even turned completely out, no room for my ape arms to get inside). My service rep took $20 off my oil / filter change as a consolation, LOL.
And, being the very first member to have these bulbs is rather nice! I shall dig out my GoPro gear tomorrow and make a vid of the drive and also some pics from outside the car to show the hue whilst facing the car.

WillV

Larz wrote:
WillV wrote:Well Larz, I hope it wasn't me that got Fetucini shaking her head at you since I believe I introduced you to the lights! I will also be getting them, but will be waiting for the black Friday sale that TRS hinted... Can't wait to see the pics! If you could, I'd love to see one pic facing the lights from outside the car.. just to see color temperature and how it looks. Enjoy!
Installed today !
I was charged 1 hour labor @ $159. Yah that wasn't so nice, but I can't be bothered to lift the car, remove the wheel, etc (my tires are 255/40/19's and even turned completely out, no room for my ape arms to get inside). My service rep took $20 off my oil / filter change as a consolation, LOL.
And, being the very first member to have these bulbs is rather nice! I shall dig out my GoPro gear tomorrow and make a vid of the drive and also some pics from outside the car to show the hue whilst facing the car.
I might have gone for them without waiting for TRS Black Friday if I could have said I was the first on NICOClub :yesnod but thanks Larz! I'm looking forward to the pictures!

Larz

Originally, I was meant to make a new thread for the Osram CBH 66240 bulbs. However, I decided it best to keep all the lighting posts in one place instead of making new threads.
I replaced my Osram CBI Cool Blue Intense (5500k) on Thursday with the newly released Osram 66240 Cool Blue Hyper Xenarc bulbs. You can see the video of the CBI bulbs shot with my 2007 M35 in my sig (over 4,000 views!).
According to The Retrofit Source, these bulbs out-perform the CBI bulbs which are generally viewed as the best bulbs on the market. I have had my CBI bulbs for 2 years on my 2009 M35 and now I am the first (Ha!) in the forum to have the new CBH bulbs.
My first impression was two-fold: happy, but scared. I was a bit scared the first time I switched them on at night. You will see in the video below that they went from a flash of blue - to deep blue - to purple - then to nearly white with a purple tint. My CBI bulbs never did this and I was concerned these new bulbs may not be as white as the CBI bulbs. Driving around last night for the first time, I was hugely impressed by brightness and the coverage compared to my CBIs. The CBH seems to cover slightly more area and have an even sharper cut-off (as seen when I drive by white walls, other vehicles, etc. However, there is still that slightly purple tint.
I spoke with James earlier today at The Retrofit Source. He told me that the CBH bulbs have a break-in period before the purple tint diminishes to a brilliant white. He confirmed it was normal to see the flash - to blues - to purple when they fire up and told me that, too, will diminish over the break-in period - they estimate at least 7-10 hours before the bulbs are completed broken in.
The video below was shot Friday 11/17 with less than 1 hour of total use on the bulbs.

Now about the video. Just a thing or two to mention.
1)The video is a splice of short bits of a drive - beginning with my car facing a wall with only my Phillips DRLs on (they stay on whilst the engine is running-day or night). Then I switch to "AUTO" to allow the headlamps to ignite. You will see the immediate flash and then the progression through blues to purples to nearly white.
2) At about 45 seconds, I am driving through my mate Scooter's neighborhood and come across some sort of HUGE pre-historic bird just stood in the middle of the road! I stop the car, it appears to look at me, then takes off with its huge wings flapping like mad. No clue what this creature was. So glad no small children were around as they may have been snatched and taken to a hideaway to be eaten.
3) If you look closely, you can see the clear side cut-offs when driving near walls, or aside other cars. These bulbs appear to send light possibly farther ahead than my CBI bulbs. Notice also that even on the motorway, the bulbs spread light across four traffic lanes and beyond.

Price per pair: The original Xenarc CBI (5500k): $179 when I bought them (now reduced to $150)
The newest Xenarc CBH (6000k): $200

Here is the progression I made from OEM to present:
Phillips 85122WX Xenon: 3100 lumens / 4300k / 223 lux
Osram 66240 Cool Blue Intense Xenarc: 3400 lumens / 5500k / 306 lux
Osram 66240 Cool Blue Hyper Xenarc: 3600 lumens, 6000k / 332 lux

Lastly, the music. No Wyld: Let Me Know
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://youtu.be/aie2vng-Yy0
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of this post is pictures of the bulbs - day time and night time as requested by WillV - who will likely be member #2 to have these bulbs.

WillV

Larz wrote:Originally, I was meant to make a new thread for the Osram CBH 66240 bulbs. However, I decided it best to keep all the lighting posts in one place instead of making new threads.
I replaced my Osram CBI Cool Blue Intense (5500k) on Thursday with the newly released Osram 66240 Cool Blue Hyper Xenarc bulbs. You can see the video of the CBI bulbs shot with my 2007 M35 in my sig (over 4,000 views!).
According to The Retrofit Source, these bulbs out-perform the CBI bulbs which are generally viewed as the best bulbs on the market. I have had my CBI bulbs for 2 years on my 2009 M35 and now I am the first (Ha!) in the forum to have the new CBH bulbs.
My first impression was two-fold: happy, but scared. I was a bit scared the first time I switched them on at night. You will see in the video below that they went from a flash of blue - to deep blue - to purple - then to nearly white with a purple tint. My CBI bulbs never did this and I was concerned these new bulbs may not be as white as the CBI bulbs. Driving around last night for the first time, I was hugely impressed by brightness and the coverage compared to my CBIs. The CBH seems to cover slightly more area and have an even sharper cut-off (as seen when I drive by white walls, other vehicles, etc. However, there is still that slightly purple tint.
I spoke with James earlier today at The Retrofit Source. He told me that the CBH bulbs have a break-in period before the purple tint diminishes to a brilliant white. He confirmed it was normal to see the flash - to blues - to purple when they fire up and told me that, too, will diminish over the break-in period - they estimate at least 7-10 hours before the bulbs are completed broken in.
The video below was shot Friday 11/17 with less than 1 hour of total use on the bulbs.

Price per pair: The original Xenarc CBI (5500k): $179 when I bought them (now reduced to $150)
The newest Xenarc CBH (6000k): $200

Here is the progression I made from OEM to present:
Phillips 85122WX Xenon: 3100 lumens / 4300k / 223 lux
Osram 66240 Cool Blue Intense Xenarc: 3400 lumens / 5500k / 306 lux
Osram 66240 Cool Blue Hyper Xenarc: 3600 lumens, 6000k / 332 lux
Thanks for the video and pictures Larz! Glad you clarified the purple phase... I would have probably gotten worried too. I do plan on being the next member with them ;-) because they look good. I bet they look even better once they break in. I shot a thumbs up over for you in YouTube. But one question; are the lights so bright that they wash out your VLED V3 signals or were you just not using them?
Thanks again!

Larz

I only had the Vled V3 Tritons on my 2007. I have High Vis Vleds on my 09. To me, the Tritons are toooo bright so I went with the next level down.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

So a member on the FB group brought some info to my attention because a user asked about replacing bulbs. I was educated, as a result, and I figured I'd post it here so people are less confused.

Seems like TRS isn't as honest/good as I thought. They are fibbing their product information. Their customer service is excellent, still, but their ability to 'upsell' by making stuff up is just as good it seems lol.

There is no discernible difference between the Osram Xenarc Night Breaker (4350k), Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI (5,500k) or the Osram Xenarc 66240 CBH (6,000k). They are ALL rated at 3200 lumens directly from Osrams data sheets. So the TRS numbers of 3,500lm and 3,600lm for the CBI and CBH, respectively, is a bunch of BS.

So here's a little chart (sorted by brand):

Sorted by lumens at 35w:

Keep in mind that Morimoto seems to be the TRS "house brand" so their data might not be accurate (I say that because Morimoto's website looks verrrryyyy similar to TRS's so either they hired the same developer, or they are owned by the same people).

Larz

First, I see your point.

Having driven the night breaker (hi beam) and the CBI for 2 years, and now driving the CBH ... I can state without question that the CBI and the CBH are worlds brighter and shine MUCH farther than the night breaker. The CBI and CBH are very close, but the CBH is noticeably whiter - not worth the upgrade if they were say $100 more than the CBI, but luckily, they were only $25 more per bulb than the CBI and well worth it (to me).
Out of the three bulbs above, the night breaker (although an excellent bulb) is till much better than OEM, but to put it anywhere near the class of the cool blue Osrams is boarding on pure fancy. Not even close.
I noticed that The retrofit source adds "estimated" next to some of the stats. Perhaps they bypass the science and just 'reckon' their results? LOL That said, I and just about every reviewer noticed a difference so either we are all wrong or we are all correct regardless of the stats posted.
$200 is a HUGE price to pay for headlamps and whether it's 'worth it' lies with beholder. I see it the same as peeps who spend a bloody fortune on CAI, manifolds, colored intake tubes, etc to get a smidge of extra BHP. They definitely look great, but do relatively very little for all those dollars - however, if the driver thinks it's worth it, well, it is !

*** Interesting note: The CBH bulbs do NOT meet USA standards for roadways. US is always well behind everyone else when it comes to roadway regulation. We still don't require DRLs on every vehicle made here (everyone else did it 10 years ago). I am not concerned because I can see the upper cut-off and it's well below range of vision of oncoming drivers. When driving next to anther vehicle, or behind one, the cut-off is below the door handle so it won't blind anyone when looking in side or rear mirrors either. I reckon it has to do with the color temp. Perhaps 6000 kelvin and up are not approved colors for USA. But 6,000 is just a wee more than CBIs at 5,500 kelvin - too close for me to get concerned. The lumens are also nearly the same for CBI and CBH. When the PoPo starts taking those fake purple headlight people off the road, I'll consider replacing them with my CBIs as they still work just fine.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Larz wrote:First, I see your point.

Having driven the night breaker (hi beam) and the CBI for 2 years, and now driving the CBH ... I can state without question that the CBI and the CBH are worlds brighter and shine MUCH farther than the night breaker. The CBI and CBH are very close, but the CBH is noticeably whiter - not worth the upgrade if they were say $100 more than the CBI, but luckily, they were only $25 more per bulb than the CBI and well worth it (to me).
Out of the three bulbs above, the night breaker (although an excellent bulb) is till much better than OEM, but to put it anywhere near the class of the cool blue Osrams is boarding on pure fancy. Not even close.
I noticed that The retrofit source adds "estimated" next to some of the stats. Perhaps they bypass the science and just 'reckon' their results? LOL That said, I and just about every reviewer noticed a difference so either we are all wrong or we are all correct regardless of the stats posted.
$200 is a HUGE price to pay for headlamps and whether it's 'worth it' lies with beholder. I see it the same as peeps who spend a bloody fortune on CAI, manifolds, colored intake tubes, etc to get a smidge of extra BHP. They definitely look great, but do relatively very little for all those dollars - however, if the driver thinks it's worth it, well, it is !

*** Interesting note: The CBH bulbs do NOT meet USA standards for roadways. US is always well behind everyone else when it comes to roadway regulation. We still don't require DRLs on every vehicle made here (everyone else did it 10 years ago). I am not concerned because I can see the upper cut-off and it's well below range of vision of oncoming drivers. When driving next to anther vehicle, or behind one, the cut-off is below the door handle so it won't blind anyone when looking in side or rear mirrors either. I reckon it has to do with the color temp. Perhaps 6000 kelvin and up are not approved colors for USA. But 6,000 is just a wee more than CBIs at 5,500 kelvin - too close for me to get concerned. The lumens are also nearly the same for CBI and CBH. When the PoPo starts taking those fake purple headlight people off the road, I'll consider replacing them with my CBIs as they still work just fine.
Yeah, it's definitely an eye of the beholder type situation and didn't want to make it seem like I was calling you out or anything...any light bulb is better than OEM lol (unfortunately). I just didn't want people thinking that the CBH was day and night better than the CBI, because, on paper it isn't...but again, eye of the beholder.

Regardless, you can't go wrong with Osram Xenarcs no matter which of the three you pick.

Keep on keepin on, fellas.

bukmone
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35 Sport

Hello, would someone please help me find the correct LED bulbs for 2008 M35 map light, ones that are above the front and driver side. The original type are bayonets. There's a lighting chart on this forum stating the Map/Dome light is a DE3175 but it's not the correct type. A member to this forum has said it's a BA9 which is a bayonet bulbs. So I've ordered ones from JDM ASTAR through Amazon, it's a 4pcs Super Bright 5630 SMD LED bulbs. Bad news...I can't get it to light up. They matched up the the original but for some reasons it won't light up, I've tried all 4 bulbs and not one light up. I would be greatly appreciated if anyone can find or tell me what LED bulbs they have luck on.

WillV

Size BA9S. I purchased a set of 2 LEDs from Luyed on Amazon for like $11. By far the most expensive LEDs I bought for my interior, but they are so bright they light up my backseat! They are like 360 lumens, and they both lit up immediately. And they were the fourth sets of BA9S I tried, after returning the first three. The only ones that worked.
Hope this helps. I can get a link to the exact ones if you want it.

bukmone

Thank you so much! Yes please, that will be helpful.

bukmone

What was wrong with the first 3 sets of BA9s? Were they the same brand? I hope I don't have to buy several times just to get it to work.

WillV

LOL, they were in fact the same brand. I kept exchanging and hoping that new ones would work but I eventually gave up. And what was weird was that once I got the working ones from amazon, the base size was completely different from the knock-off cheap things I purchased 3 sets of!

WillV

LOL, they were in fact the same brand. I kept exchanging and hoping that new ones would work but I eventually gave up. And what was weird was that once I got the working ones from amazon, the base size was completely different from the knock-off cheap things I purchased 3 sets of!

WillV

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DNMX8 ... UTF8&psc=1

That is the ones I got. I can try to figure out how to post a pic again and show them in here.
Also sorry about the double post a moderator can take care of that?

WillV

bukmone

Awesome!! thank you for the amazon link. I'll order it tonight and let's just hope my first order will be the last. And btw...thanks for including the picture of your car, and man...that is one bright interior, probably can see it from space.

Ilya

Stupid Infiniti, that arm rest was legit. The 2011+ has a single armrest that doesn't adjust.

bukmone

I'll exchange yours for mine. At least with a single armrest it won't rattle from one side like mine does. It has something to do with the open/close latch, I have to rest my arm on it every time while I'm driving, I find it annoying, the left side works just fine.

Southern_Hospitality
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35 base

First allow me to apologize if this is the wrong thread.I'm actually in the market to replace my headlights and fogs. However, my the glass/plastic is broke. Quite some time ago I read in this forum that some Nissan Sentra fog light units are interchangeable with the M35. Is this true? If so, which year? Just looking for the least expense way to replace the two fog light units. Thanks!!!

2006 M35

Ilya

Southern_Hospitality wrote:First allow me to apologize if this is the wrong thread.I'm actually in the market to replace my headlights and fogs. However, my the glass/plastic is broke. Quite some time ago I read in this forum that some Nissan Sentra fog light units are interchangeable with the M35. Is this true? If so, which year? Just looking for the least expense way to replace the two fog light units. Thanks!!!

2006 M35
Hi there. Can't help on the headlights (they'll be expensive), but the fog lights, with a bit of searching via our nifty search function, yielded this post:

post6172411.html?hilit=sentra%20fog#p6172411
gms wrote:The 2007 Sentra S & SL light fits. The part numbers are 261558990A for the Drivers side and 261508990A for the passenger side. I bought mine on Amazon last year & had the dealer do the installation.

Southern_Hospitality
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35 base

Thanks a million

WillV

Larz wrote:When the PoPo starts taking those fake purple headlight people off the road, I'll consider replacing them with my CBIs as they still work just fine.
I'm sorry but this just made me actually laugh.. :lolling: :rotfl :rotflmao I hate seeing the purple headlights because they are completely unsafe (in my opinion). Annoying to oncoming drivers(me), but when you actually look at the beam, it runs dead like 30 feet in front of the car! Look at almost any new car; the beam projects much farther up the road. Unsafe for others and driver! :tisk:

Larz

So true. Those wanna-be purple people eater lamps are just rubbish. They do not light the road, they just color the road. Those are just as bad as the people who install HID wanna-be bulbs in the stock halogen sockets. The OEM housing can't focus them properly, so it spreads the extremely bright light in all directions, blinding anyone they drive behind and any driver approaching them. Now that my CBH bulbs are broken in, they are amazingly white - not blueish at all. Even whiter than the newest S-class headlamps and the beam is focused properly do it does not reach any higher than the door handle of other cars near me so I know I am not blinding on-coming drivers or lighting up the interior of the car in front of me.

bukmone

Hi, anyone knows what is the correct light bulb size for the sun visors on 2008 M35? I'm trying to get an LED and I have no luck in finding them. I've ordered ones from Amazon it's By JDM 1.25" 29mm and it doesn't fit correctly, they're too big in length and width. Thanks a bunch in advance!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”