Official 2011-13 M56/Q70 5.6L Timing Chain Recall Discussion

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
ibc
Car: Infiniti M56x

Interesting. My itemized list has the same stuff, EXCEPT mine does not list any "M56 CHAIN". I guess that means they did the service, but didn't replace the actual chains. I wonder if my chains will stretch in a few years?

My list also includes the radiator anti-freeze stuff. Apparently, they just top up the fluid loss, of 1/2 gallon. Hmm.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

Dropped my car off at the dealer yesterday. Work is scheduled to begin on Tuesday so I will probably not get it back until Thursday or Friday. Q50 loaner. Not a bad car but definitely not at the same level as the M/Q70.

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

What actually started my timing chain recall visit:

List of parts replaced:

I inspected under the hood and checked for leaks and correct fluid levels. You can see the fresh gasket sealer on the timing chain cover. They were very thorough.

Debonair

8 days later my baby is done and ready for pickup. Great timing since I was getting tired of the Q50. Mostly missing the V8 power and AC seats. :biggrin:

lovemycarM35
Car: 2014 Lexus GS 350
With F-Sport Package
Nebula Gray
19" wheels
12.3 inch display
Navigation

M owners are spoiled :biggrin:

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

My car is making a water running/sloshing sound somewhere near the firewall. From reading online (general Google search) it's either the AC system isn't full or the coolant system isn't full. Anyone ever had this on the M? Started after the recall work (they also messed up my AC and power steering initially). This dealer has done work before for me and it's never been this bad...this is getting ridiculous. I'm obviously going to take it back in but curious if anyone knows what it might be.

Debonair

Ilya wrote:My car is making a water running/sloshing sound somewhere near the firewall. From reading online (general Google search) it's either the AC system isn't full or the coolant system isn't full. Anyone ever had this on the M? Started after the recall work (they also messed up my AC and power steering initially). This dealer has done work before for me and it's never been this bad...this is getting ridiculous. I'm obviously going to take it back in but curious if anyone knows what it might be.
That's sucks man. I hope they get it sorted quickly.

When I picked up my car today I found out from the service writer that while removing the timing chain cover they damaged the radiator. So in addition to the recall work I got a brand new OEM radiator with warranty. :eekdance

lovemycarM35
Car: 2014 Lexus GS 350
With F-Sport Package
Nebula Gray
19" wheels
12.3 inch display
Navigation

On my 2007 M35 i had that same sloshing sound it was air in the system don't remember what they did to fix it.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Debonair wrote:
Ilya wrote:My car is making a water running/sloshing sound somewhere near the firewall. From reading online (general Google search) it's either the AC system isn't full or the coolant system isn't full. Anyone ever had this on the M? Started after the recall work (they also messed up my AC and power steering initially). This dealer has done work before for me and it's never been this bad...this is getting ridiculous. I'm obviously going to take it back in but curious if anyone knows what it might be.
That's sucks man. I hope they get it sorted quickly.

When I picked up my car today I found out from the service writer that while removing the timing chain cover they damaged the radiator. So in addition to the recall work I got a brand new OEM radiator with warranty. :eekdance
They should just give us new cars :gapteeth:

EdBwoy

Possibly air trapped in the heater core. They can be tricky to properly fill up and they are usually located near the firewall.

flip4prez
Car: 2012 m56x blk.

Dealer broke my thermostat housing and timing cover while removing it. They had mine for a month. Had the q50 got tired of it really quick. Eventually got my car back. Had a few burning smells the first 2 days. After 600 miles everything seems to be working great so far. Checked the easy to see fluids and so far no leaks. Receipt says 12mo/12k miles on they work. Hopefully I won't need to make them honor that lol

Debonair

I also found my positive battery terminal very loose. Make sure you give your cars a once over after getting them back everyone.

Flaco_taco
Car: 2007 m35x tech and 2005 fx35

Hey guys I'm a tech at Tim dahle infiniti in Salt Lake City Utah if you have any questions on the recall or what not shoot me a text 8012436888 (can't pm yet )

Ilya

Flaco_taco wrote:Hey guys I'm a tech at Tim dahle infiniti in Salt Lake City Utah if you have any questions on the recall or what not shoot me a text 8012436888 (can't pm yet )
Welcome to the forum!

DredM56
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56 2004 Subaru Wrx STi

I had mine back for a day. :frown:

I was shocked how fast it was done. Dropped it off Monday morning picked it Tuesday night after I got out of work. They did the transmission software update also. It was pouring rain out so was driving easy but the car felt great was holding rpms till 2500-3k driving normal from a stop instead of non stop shifting to 5th like b4.

The bad wake up go to work driving 35-40 at 1200rpm I feel the car seeming to misfire look down rpms are fluttering. Then it stops but a second later check engine light starts flashing. I pull over it is idling normal light goes out. Start driving fine for a few miles then it does it again for a few seconds then stops. I called them they said to drop it off when I get out. It never did it again going home and to the dealer.

They called today they think the timing cover is bad. Probably won't have it till next Tuesday now because the holiday. I can't believe how spoiled I've been by the M already only had it a month and the Q50 feels cheap to me.

Ilya

DredM56 wrote:I had mine back for a day. :frown:

I was shocked how fast it was done. Dropped it off Monday morning picked it Tuesday night after I got out of work. They did the transmission software update also. It was pouring rain out so was driving easy but the car felt great was holding rpms till 2500-3k driving normal from a stop instead of non stop shifting to 5th like b4.

The bad wake up go to work driving 35-40 at 1200rpm I feel the car seeming to misfire look down rpms are fluttering. Then it stops but a second later check engine light starts flashing. I pull over it is idling normal light goes out. Start driving fine for a few miles then it does it again for a few seconds then stops. I called them they said to drop it off when I get out. It never did it again going home and to the dealer.

They called today they think the timing cover is bad. Probably won't have it till next Tuesday now because the holiday. I can't believe how spoiled I've been by the M already only had it a month and the Q50 feels cheap to me.
I don't know who did your car or if it was the same tech that did mine, but the dude sucks. I had no power steering, no ac, then I had air in the cooling system which they just took care of yesterday. Oy vey.

Mine seems to be good now, but hopefully yours is done right the second time around.

DHCrocks
Car: 2012 M56S
2004 G35 Coupe

did you guys get a recall notice in the mail to bring your car in or did you call the dealer to inquire about it? I haven't received anything yet.

Debonair

DHCrocks wrote:did you guys get a recall notice in the mail to bring your car in or did you call the dealer to inquire about it? I haven't received anything yet.
I stopped by the dealer and scheduled my appointment. The recal post card showed up in the mail a week later.

BlackCat81
Car: 2006 M35x
2003 Lexus GX470

Ilya wrote:
DredM56 wrote:I had mine back for a day. :frown:

I don't know who did your car or if it was the same tech that did mine, but the dude sucks. I had no power steering, no ac, then I had air in the cooling system which they just took care of yesterday. Oy vey.

Mine seems to be good now, but hopefully yours is done right the second time around.
Crazy, the M56's are REALLY easy to do. Don't even have to pull the oil pan. I can have them done start to finish in a day.

DredM56

I wish you worked at my dealership then. Everyone that has posted on here about it has been 3 to 5 days. Mine was the fastest I noticed so far.

On top of that almost everyone has had some issue that needed to be fixed that was causes by the work.

Kade.Sirin
Car: 2012 Infiniti M56S, 1999 Nissan Altima GXE, 1997 MR2 Turbo (totaled)

Just dropped off my 56 at the dealership for the recall + Service + fix anything else they find under warranty before my warranty expires in August. Got a QX50 loaner for the duration.

However, in observation, there's a problem when the QX50 with the 3.7 sounds sportier than the M56.

Supposedly they'll have it done THIS Weds. We'll see.

tlaspec
Car: M56x

Recall have not been formally announced in Canada and my dealer is telling me that the timing chain tsb I had completed a couple month ago replaced essentially the same parts as the recall and the Recall was not required and I could have the recall work completed at a later date if there was ever a problem with the timing chain system.

For the people that had the TSB already completed, did you also went in and have the recall done? It seems to me that the recall changes more parts but the essential parts such as the defective oil jet and timing chain/tensioner are all replaced anyway as part of the TSB.

DredM56

Finally got my car back last night. It would of been two weeks on Monday with me only having it one day out of that time.
Should of had it Thursday but apparently they called the wrong number so I never got the message.

Definitely feels a lot better than before haven't got a chance to really test it out too hard every time I get it back it's raining.The reason it took so long was because the holiday they didn't get the timing cover till Tuesday then it turned out they ended up needing another part. They replaced the solenoid for the variable valve timing on the intake cam on one bank. Said that it failed internally on print out.

Kade.Sirin
Car: 2012 Infiniti M56S, 1999 Nissan Altima GXE, 1997 MR2 Turbo (totaled)

Got my car back, looks like they did a ton of work. The doc was 2 pages!

Hasn't made a difference in the way my car drives, but it got a nice wash while it was there :biggrin:

Now its time for the LED lights and some new tyres!

Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

My dealer said the same thing, I havd be SB done so I don't need the recall work. Anyone confirm this ?

Debonair

Maybe check the part numbers of the chain kits used on your car and see if they are the same as ones being used for the recall work. If the recall work has updated part numbers there was most likely a design change(s) which may warrant having the work performed again.

rjoe
Car: 2011 M56S

Just picked my 11' 56S up from having the recall done. Notes say:
81181 P6305C 13.30
Replacement of timing-chain, chain-guides, and crank sprocket with countermeasure parts and repair oil jet.

Otherwise, there's now a whistle in my A/C that I can't find.

Ilya

rjoe wrote:Just picked my 11' 56S up from having the recall done. Notes say:
81181 P6305C 13.30
Replacement of timing-chain, chain-guides, and crank sprocket with countermeasure parts and repair oil jet.

When does this whistle happen?

I noticed a 'whistle' (more like a long 'weeeeeeeeeeeee' sound) when I turned the car off a few days ago...haven't heard it since. Like air was escaping from somewhere. My motorcycle does that sound much quieter through the gas tank vent when I'm done riding...

Debonair

Ilya wrote:
81181 P6305C 13.30

I noticed a 'whistle' (more like a long 'weeeeeeeeeeeee' sound) when I turned the car off a few days ago...haven't heard it since. Like air was escaping from somewhere. My motorcycle does that sound much quieter through the gas tank vent when I'm done riding...
My AC does this every now and then when I shut it off. I believe this is the high and low sides equalizing since the compressor is no longer running. This particular noise should not be a problem.

rjoe
Car: 2011 M56S

Whistle is at highway speeds, after driving today it sounds like it's coming from where the A pillar meets the hood line & fender on the passenger side. I'm not sure what the rubber/plastic pieces are up there but it's loud enough to have to talk over it when others are in the car.

The noise from my A/C may just be something caught in the fan/cabin filter - need to order a new one anyway.
Ilya wrote:
81181 P6305C 13.30

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”