Official 2011-13 M56/Q70 5.6L Timing Chain Recall Discussion

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
flip4prez
Car: 2012 m56x blk.

Debonair wrote:
lovemycarM35 wrote:That's crazy I hope this doesn't happen to the M37 I kinda worried
The M37 does not have enough HP to stretch the chains, don't worry. :chuckle:

I'll see myself out. :inoutgay:
:spitout: I just spit my drink out literally lol

ibc
Car: Infiniti M56x

dLat wrote:Would the repair costs for all of the:

- timing chain (ID: P6305)
o ITB11-047b (Bluetooth Sound Quality)
o ITB12-021B (for M37 ECU/TCU software but I seem to have some of the same lag and hesitation)
o ITB11-046a (Call Waiting Navigation Update)
o ITB12-010a/ITB15-017 (Fuel Rail Re-torque)
o ITB10-040 (Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor)

come out of my own pocket?

Infiniti yesterday fixed my Timing Chains (free P&L) and Fuel-Rail (free P&L) under recall warranty. Whew! Took 'em 3 days. Loaner was new 2015 Q50. The dealership said Infiniti USA declined to pay for these other "Voluntary Services" (not recalls) b/c my Infiniti warranty was expired, but I could pay the cost: ITB12-021B = $104, ITB11-046a = $260, ITB11-047 = $375, ITB10-040 = $55.

dmclone
Car: 2011 M56x

Anyone else been put on a waiting list?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I've been waiting for my appointment for a few weeks...drop mine off on Monday morning (13th).

dmclone
Car: 2011 M56x

They just told me that it would be a couple of months.

EdBwoy

dmclone wrote:They just told me that it would be a couple of months.
That sucks my fellow Iowan. I love the service I get from Willis in general, but a couple of months is too long to suffer crappy performance (now that we know there's a recall). I wonder if they can just buy the parts from other dealers that seem to have them or would consider shipping the car to Chicago or any other major city that's ready for the job.
Hope this doesn't happen to any of you 5.6 owners, but I wonder what's the worst documented thing that has resulted from the timing chain issues. A new engine would be cool.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Well...not sure about this motor but I've seen motors (2.5L Subaru motor) that had a timing BELT let go and because that is an interference motor is screwed up a LOT of stuff (valves, etc.).

I'm dropping mine off in 7hrs. Probably going to fork over the cash and have them do my spark plugs while they are in there. I'm at 78kmi and I figure if they change them now I might save some on labor and be good for the rest of the time I own the car (I usually get rid of my cars around 150kmi).

EDIT: Dropped mine off. Should take about 4 days my Service Rep said. As for spark plugs, even with just 1.5hrs of labor vs the standard 2.5, it's still a $350 job...the plugs themselves cost like $130 on Amazon. Decided I'll do it myself.

DredM56
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56 2004 Subaru Wrx STi

You stole my appointment. No you probably had it first. I was supposed to drop mine off today but they rescheduled for 2 weeks because they already had one scheduled today.

I assume you brought it to lia Infiniti I see you're from albany they're the only one around.

Ilya

DredM56 wrote:You stole my appointment. No you probably had it first. I was supposed to drop mine off today but they rescheduled for 2 weeks because they already had one scheduled today.

I assume you brought it to lia Infiniti I see you're from albany they're the only one around.
Hahah, ya snooze ya lose! :gapteeth: I've had mine for a few weeks so probably.

And yes, Lia is where I dropped it off...got both of my M's from them and Lisa is the only person I work with there...she's gotten to know how particular I am with my car and knows that I do much of my own DIY so she doesn't try to sell stuff to me, etc. Funny because the first time I met her I didn't like her lol...must have just had a bad day.

Nice to see a local M on the a forum though...had M's since 2010 and this is the first time anyone from this area has gotten on the forum. Welcome.

DredM56
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56 2004 Subaru Wrx STi

Thanks for the welcome I was surprised to see you were from Albany . I've never seen another M56 on the road around here only M37 and those are still pretty rare sight.I also try to deal with Lisa I always worked with her with my G37.

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

EdBwoy wrote:
dmclone wrote:...Hope this doesn't happen to any of you 5.6 owners, but I wonder what's the worst documented thing that has resulted from the timing chain issues. A new engine would be cool.
Don't know if this is the worst, but my transmission started acting up because of my timing chain being stretched. If I tried to accelerate too quickly, like passing someone on the interstate or taking off from a red light, the car would just bog down...so yeah, it was pretty bad.

As far as taking your car in for the recall work, only way to get a new engine is if the oil jet hole is too deep. They check it with a go-no go hole gauge pin. If it goes in more than 3mm, they replace the engine. AFAIK, I haven't heard of anyone getting a new motor.

Ilya

armybrat wrote:
Don't know if this is the worst, but my transmission started acting up because of my timing chain being stretched. If I tried to accelerate too quickly, like passing someone on the interstate or taking off from a red light, the car would just bog down...so yeah, it was pretty bad.

As far as taking your car in for the recall work, only way to get a new engine is if the oil jet hole is too deep. They check it with a go-no go hole gauge pin. If it goes in more than 3mm, they replace the engine. AFAIK, I haven't heard of anyone getting a new motor.
This has seemed to be happening to me lately. Let's say I take a corner at 40mph and give it a little gas on the ensuing straight, the car doesn't seem to gain speed...I have to give more gas and then it (without changing gears) surges and then drives fine. Noticed it within the last month or so.

I asked my rep and she hasn't heard of anyone needing an engine either, says so far they've all been pretty much straight forward.

armybrat
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

Ilya wrote:
armybrat wrote:

This has seemed to be happening to me lately. Let's say I take a corner at 40mph and give it a little gas on the ensuing straight, the car doesn't seem to gain speed...I have to give more gas and then it (without changing gears) surges and then drives fine. Noticed it within the last month or so.

I asked my rep and she hasn't heard of anyone needing an engine either, says so far they've all been pretty much straight forward.
Yep your transmission will be affected by a loose chain...it's affecting your exhaust valve timing so the transmission doesn't know quite how to respond (that's what I was told when I took my car in)...well you shouldn't have that problem once you get your car back. When I'm going to work, my exit ramp off of the highway going north does a 270 degree circle and crosses over the highway going west. Now I'm running the OEM tune in sport mode, so as I'm slowing down to take the corner, the car downshifts so when I give it the gas it takes off like a rocket as I'm approaching the westbound traffic. I do this because my lane ends and if there's traffic, I have to merge left. I haven't tried it in normal mode since I've had my timing chains replaced. Since you're running the Uprev tune you may need to make some adjustments once you get your car back. Anyway, hope you are enjoying the new loaner!

Ilya

My UpRev tune is probably as good as it can get for now...but yeah I'll have to test it out when I get it back.

Loaner is nice, I've had this exact same car before (blue 3.7 Q70x).

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

I was scheduled to drop my car off tomorrow morning. They emailed me this morning and asked if I could wait until Saturday or next week because they are behind on the recall work. I offered Friday afternoon and as much time as they need. As long as I have a loaner I am good with it taking a while.

armybrat
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

Debonair wrote:I was scheduled to drop my car off tomorrow morning. They emailed me this morning and asked if I could wait until Saturday or next week because they are behind on the recall work. I offered Friday afternoon and as much time as they need. As long as I have a loaner I am good with it taking a while.
My experience with recall work is that they will let you use a loaner as long as it takes. As you probably know, there's a huge air bag recall going on right now. While my wife's 2012 Acura RDX is on that list, the focus seems to be on taking care of the earlier model cars first (starting in 2003). However, my service advisor told me that if she felt uncomfortable driving her car, they would go ahead and accept her car and give her a new loaner to drive and keep her car on the lot until it's time for her car to be worked on...I'm talking about later on this fall, about 3 months or so.

So, on that premis, if your car is acting up, and it's going to be a while before they can get to it, I would go ahead and take it on up there anyway

M37owner
Car: 2011 M37

Yeah, and on the subject of the Takada Air Bag recalls - in some cases they are installing replacement air bags that will need to be replaced again at a later date. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/06/04/at-least ... uters.html

And now 3.5 mil Nissan and Infiniti's being recalled due to faulty airbag sensors http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2016/05 ... g-sensors/

Debonair

armybrat wrote:
Debonair wrote:I was scheduled to drop my car off tomorrow morning. They emailed me this morning and asked if I could wait until Saturday or next week because they are behind on the recall work. I offered Friday afternoon and as much time as they need. As long as I have a loaner I am good with it taking a while.
My experience with recall work is that they will let you use a loaner as long as it takes. As you probably know, there's a huge air bag recall going on right now. While my wife's 2012 Acura RDX is on that list, the focus seems to be on taking care of the earlier model cars first (starting in 2003). However, my service advisor told me that if she felt uncomfortable driving her car, they would go ahead and accept her car and give her a new loaner to drive and keep her car on the lot until it's time for her car to be worked on...I'm talking about later on this fall, about 3 months or so.

So, on that premis, if your car is acting up, and it's going to be a while before they can get to it, I would go ahead and take it on up there anyway
Thanks for the info. I don't think I am experiencing any issues so I am in no hurry to get it in, but we will see how it performs when I get her back. Also we only pushed back the drop off date 2 days so not a big delay. This dealer is only 7 minutes from my house too.

EdBwoy

armybrat wrote:
EdBwoy wrote:...but I wonder what's the worst documented thing that has resulted from the timing chain issues. A new engine would be cool.
Armybrat, I found your other post on the oil jet, thanks for the pic. I pretty much make repair/replace decisions for a living so that's my angle. What worries me is that Infiniti is letting some engines get the work done but which will suffer accelerated wear. I don't know how deep the gauge should go in a new engine. 1mm, 2mm, 3mm? I have no idea. BlackCat, would you have this info?
Say if the gauge would only go into the hole 1+/-0.5mm from the factory. Then they test an engine during the recall work and find the hole depth at 2mm. Why wouldn't they consider that an off-spec engine? Would it have any ill effects to oil circulation or performance? Maybe their tolerance for the holes from the factory is upto 3mm anyway, then my concerns are irrelevant.

Ilya

Just got the call, my car is done already (dropped it off Monday AM)...will have it back tomorrow because they found that my sway bar links are clunking a tiny bit and for the $100 deductible (what it would cost me almost in parts since each one is almost $50) they will swap them out for me due to Elite (I didn't know this was covered under Elite but sweetness lol).

Real quick.

markmitchell2292
Car: M56x

Dropped my 2012 M56x off last week in Nashville. Gave me a loaner for 5 days (weekend plus M-W). I live 150 miles from Nashville. There was no problem with the mileage I put on the loaner.

Picked mine back up on Thursday. Drives like a new car! I can't begin to explain how much tighter the engine is now and more responsive. Had all the belts changed and the brakes done, too (60K mile service). It was well worth the time and trouble to get the car there and be without it for 5 days. I do know that I do not want the little SUV they loaned me. Not enough power!

My wife is happy again with her "fun" car, as she calls it. I'm just glad it doesn't crap out and die on the side of the road any longer!

jmissile
Car: 2011 m56s

I have to say I'm thrilled with the way my engine runs now. The low/mid range torque is much better now, say between 2-5k rpm's. I swear I was hearing mild detonation sounds in that range and all of the noise is completely gone now! It's alot smoother like a brand new car. I enjoyed the q70 loaner for awhile, it was nice and all, but couldnot wait to get my car back. Took them 2 weeks , there were 8 other m56's ahead of mine they told me.

Debonair

I'm happy to hear people are experiencing drivability and performance improvements with this service. I look forward to getting my car back and seeing how it feels.

Ilya

Well...I didn't get so lucky. I went to pick my car up today and made it 5 ft.

There is no AC in my car currently and the power steering is out...so needless to say I'm still on the loaner. Everyone from service was gone by then so I don't even know what they found...but a quick check showed nothing amiss. All the belts, etc. were good. Will find out tomorrow.

Can't wait to test my car out and see how she runs now.

Debonair

Ilya wrote:Well...I didn't get so lucky. I went to pick my car up today and made it 5 ft.

There is no AC in my car currently and the power steering is out...so needless to say I'm still on the loaner. Everyone from service was gone by then so I don't even know what they found...but a quick check showed nothing amiss. All the belts, etc. were good. Will find out tomorrow.

Can't wait to test my car out and see how she runs now.
Ah man that sucks.

Ilya

Going to get it now. Supposedly all it needed was an AC recharge and it had no power steering fluid lol. How does one forget to fill that?

Debonair

Ilya wrote:Going to get it now. Supposedly all it needed was an AC recharge and it had no power steering fluid lol. How does one forget to fill that?
Wow. Ask them about their post repair check and test drive procedure. You might want to check all the fluids before you leave too.

Also, make them note that they delivered it to you w/o PS fluid in case you experience any issues with it. This is why I like to work on my own cars. :tisk:

spirod
Car: 2011 M56S

I had the timing chain done the week of May 23rd. About a week later I noticed oil marks on the my garage floor where only I park. Brought the car back to the dealer and they said the power steering pump is leaking and needs to be replaced. New pump is on back order and due in mid July. They gave me a bottle to top off when needed. Thing is, it has been a week now and I haven't added a drop of oil as the level is still at the full mark but the car still leaks. Checked other oil levels all look good. Now I am 2nd guessing the dealer. If the power steering reservoir was filled too much, would the excess oil be purged somehow?

Ilya

Debonair wrote:
Ilya wrote:Going to get it now. Supposedly all it needed was an AC recharge and it had no power steering fluid lol. How does one forget to fill that?
Wow. Ask them about their post repair check and test drive procedure. You might want to check all the fluids before you leave too.

Also, make them note that they delivered it to you w/o PS fluid in case you experience any issues with it. This is why I like to work on my own cars. :tisk:
Yeah, my service rep took everything and had them test it again and the car is indeed fine this time. She also noted it in my history and gave me a new receipt. Will definitely keep an eye on it.

Ilya

For anyone who is wondering, here is the parts list of stuff replaced for this fix (don't remember if this was posted before but if it was, my bad):

Note: Hopefully I didn't transpose a ton of stuff lol. Also, looks they replaced a couple various assemblies (such as oil cooler).

QTY Part Number Description
-------------------------------

1 PKM56-CHAIN M56 CHAIN
1 A40351MC0A GASKET-MANIFOLD
1 152089E01A OIL FILTER
1 2148118000 GASKET-c***
1 175201LA0B TUBE ASSY FUEL
1 132311MC5E LIFTER-VALVE
1 135101LA0A SEAL-OIL CRANKSH
1 15066ZL80C SEAL O RING (20.
12 130423HD0A SEAL-OIL,CAMSHAF
1 11026JA00A WASHER DRAIN
1 17520EZ30A TUBE ASSY-FUEL
8 92470HC050 O-RING
2 92474N8210 O-RING - A/C
4 92472N8210 O-RING - A/C
2 206910P600 GASKET - EXHAUST
2 2069130P00 GASKET - EXHAUST
1 206928H30A GASKET-EXHAUST
1 2069265J00 GASKET-CATALYST
4 2162632U00 WASHER-SEAL
6 49726Y0100 GASKET-CONNECTR
1 1505331U00 GASKET-OIL STRAI
4 150661CA0A SEAL-O RING
4 150663RC6B SEAL-O RING
2 161751CA0A GASKET-THROTTLE
1 166181LA0D SEAL-O RING
4 22131EN205 SEAL-O RING
4 37121JK20A WASHER-LOCK
1 A30281CA4A TIMING CHAIN KIT
1 A30281LA4A TIMING CHAIN KIT
1 PKM56-CHAIN1 M56 CHAIN
1 130211CA0A SPROCKET-CRANKSH
1 130211LA1A SPROCKET-CRANKSH
2 150666N204 SEAL-O RING
2 15066AR010 SEAL-O RING
1 15066AR020 SEAL-O RING
1 15066AW000 SEAL-OIL LEVEL G
4 37171AL60A NUT-FIX PROPELL
6 4972650W00 GASKET
8 2060241G00 NUT-FRONT EXHAUST
4 400730L700 PIN-COTTER
1 999MP1217HP THREEBOND 1217H
7 999BK05W30QX GENUINE INF 5W30
2 089213252A PIN-COTTER
1 110621CA1A GASKET-WATER OUT
1 213051CA3B OIL COOLER ASSY
1 214415V000 PACKING-DRAIN CO
4 37120AH00A BOLT-FIX PROPELL
4 37120AL60A BOLT
4 37120CG10A BOLT-FIX PROPELL
2 3717005U00 SEAL - OIL
1 462371LA0A GASKET
2 545882Y00A NUT
2 54588JK00A NUT
4 999MPL255P20 NISSAN LONG LIFE
4 999MP1XGPP0P LIMITED SLIP OIL
2 999MPAG00P10 POWER STEERING F
9 999MPMTS00P MATIC S AUTO TRA
6 15066ZL80A SEAL O RING (6.8)

Total QTY of parts: 162
I was shown the cost of this job just for S&G's...and it was like $3,400.

During the test drive they also noticed my car was making front end noise so they also replaced the sway bar links for me for my $100 Elite warranty deductible:

QTY Part Number Description
-------------------------------

1 54618JK53C ROD ASSY-CONNECT
1 54668JK53C ROD ASSY-CONNECT

The questions I have following this are:

1) Did they remove my oil drain plug valve (it's a valve now that I connect a hose too not a typical drain plug that gets remove)? Will have to check this when I get under the car to replace their oil with synthetic in 3,000 miles.
2) Do you think they flushed the power steering fluid? Or just topped it off? Curious if I can mark this system down in my log book as being completely flushed.

BlackCat? Do you know?

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”