Official 2011-13 M56/Q70 5.6L Timing Chain Recall Discussion

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Big_Tone
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x (White w Java interior; Tech Pkg)
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Custom 2 1/4” exhaust with Jones Exhaust X-Pipe
Infiniti Sport mufflers

I just noticed this thread this week lol. Called today to schedule my appointment, but service was already closed for the day. Will call Monday. I'm going to ask them to update the ECU and TCU, too.

dmclone
Car: 2011 M56x

Just called my dealership, I'm 18th on the list of 60+ total. Said it would be at least another 2 months before they could get me in.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Guess I'm glad there is only probably like 5 M's in this entire area lol...never see any.

dmclone
Car: 2011 M56x

Ilya wrote:Guess I'm glad there is only probably like 5 M's in this entire area lol...never see any.
Same here, I've never seen another M56 in Iowa. The problem is that there is only one Infiniti dealership in the state and there are a lot of QX56's that are also part of the recall.

LVApeMan56
Car: 2012 Infiniti M56 - current
2006 M45 - sold
2008 G35 - sold

2012 Base M56 - 30k Miles - Had my work done 2 weeks ago.
List of parts/labor came out looking like the ones posted here. They said there was nothing wrong my chain or any parts.
I went to drop it off a week earlier, but my service writer (good guy, very knowledgeable) told me his "best guy" for the job was on vacation and did I want someone else to work on it? Um, no. :nono:
Dropped off following Tues morning and got back Thurs evening. Immediately popped hood, Engine Cover cracked bad, and several clips missing. My service guy looked embarrassed. Promised he'd have a new one the next day.
After reading the posts on here I made sure to drive it for a while through different scenarios. Luckily I pulled over to take a work call and let it sit and idle for about 10 minutes, because the engine temp went through the roof! Started driving and the temp came back down.
Took it back next morning and they claimed the thermostat "went bad." Replaced it and the engine cover/clips.
Drives great.. it feels like a little snappier response, but could just be in my head. :crazy:
Of course, now my exterior temp gauge goes about 20 degrees higher that normal (134 highest so far). Probably fried that thermostat too from how hot the engine compartment got. Doesn't matter out here for now because it's too friggin hot out to care! Haha.. :chuckle:
I'll worry about it the next time I'm in for service.
Reset the ECU today, and now we're having a real good time together! Love this car. :dblthumb:

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Many of us have had 'post-work' issues it seems.

I SWEAR my AC isn't as cold after their no AC snafu when I got the car back the first time...and my ventilated seats are barely useful.

I've reset my ECU multiple times and my car is still a little sluggish sometimes in the lower gears...

DredM56
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56 2004 Subaru Wrx STi

Mine felt very sluggish down low when I first got it like I described in my 1/4 mile thread. I wasn't happy with it at all. After the work it is very strong now like a different car.

They did the recall the transmission update and replaced the timing cover and a solenoid for the variable valve timing.

Haven't gotten to run it yet again It keeps raining the days I'm supposed to go the track.

Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

Did anyone ever find out if you've had The service bulletin done if you still need the warranty work!? Or
Does Infiniti say the SB is good Enuf?

Ilya

Frog wrote:Did anyone ever find out if you've had The service bulletin done if you still need the warranty work!? Or
Does Infiniti say the SB is good Enuf?
I haven't seen any mentions of this, so I'd definitely double check. I personally would just have them do it again if at all possible...doesn't cost you anything other than some time.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

I called last week to schedule an appointment to bring my car in, but didn't hear back. I called again this morning and now I'm locked in for next Monday at 9am. They said it shouldn't take more than three days and that I should have my car back by next Friday, but since they have two other cars in front of me it may take a little longer. Fingers crossed!

Dmix
Car: 2011 M56X
2006 350Z GT (sold)
1995 240SX Zenki (sold)

Mine is in now and has been for 2 weeks as of tomorrow. I called yesterday and they just said "it's not done". So we will see how much longer :(

Ilya

Dmix wrote:Mine is in now and has been for 2 weeks as of tomorrow. I called yesterday and they just said "it's not done". So we will see how much longer :(
That's nuts. What's the hold up? Did they give you a loaner?

Dmix
2006 350Z GT (sold)
1995 240SX Zenki (sold)

Ilya wrote:
Dmix wrote:Mine is in now and has been for 2 weeks as of tomorrow. I called yesterday and they just said "it's not done". So we will see how much longer :(
That's nuts. What's the hold up? Did they give you a loaner?
Yes a pos maxima complete base model from a rental company.

walt1227
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56S

Just scheduled my M56s for this recall. My wife is dropping it off Monday morning. Service manager said it is only a two day job and they will give me a loaner. Will they change the engine oil as well since they are doing the chains?

Ilya

walt1227 wrote:Just scheduled my M56s for this recall. My wife is dropping it off Monday morning. Service manager said it is only a two day job and they will give me a loaner. Will they change the engine oil as well since they are doing the chains?
Yes. Mine worked out perfectly in that regard...I change mine with Mobil 1 0W-40 every 5k. I gave them the car with 2kmi on the oil so if they used non-synthetic oil, 3kmi (old bench mark everyone used to follow) would equal 5k...so I used their oil until my 80kmi oil change and worked out great.

walt1227

Ilya wrote:
walt1227 wrote:Just scheduled my M56s for this recall. My wife is dropping it off Monday morning. Service manager said it is only a two day job and they will give me a loaner. Will they change the engine oil as well since they are doing the chains?
Yes. Mine worked out perfectly in that regard...I change mine with Mobil 1 0W-40 every 5k. I gave them the car with 2kmi on the oil so if they used non-synthetic oil, 3kmi (old bench mark everyone used to follow) would equal 5k...so I used their oil until my 80kmi oil change and worked out great.

Nice. My oil is a little low so getting a free oil change out of it as well is a plus. I'm concerned though with having issues out of my car after they do the work. I just got it last week and it runs perfect and has not given me any problems. I've read of the issues you and a few others have had and it scares me.

Ilya

walt1227 wrote:
Ilya wrote:

Nice. My oil is a little low so getting a free oil change out of it as well is a plus. I'm concerned though with having issues out of my car after they do the work. I just got it last week and it runs perfect and has not given me any problems. I've read of the issues you and a few others have had and it scares me.
Maybe your dealer employ's better techs lol. :gapteeth:

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Just dropped mine off. In addition to the timing chain, I asked them to update the ECU and TCU. They said they'd try to get I back to me by Friday, but can't promise. There's one car they're finishing up today and one more in front of me.

marosari00
Car: 2012 M56S (Stormie), 2010 Mercedes C300 Sport (Capri)

Dropped off mine this morning. They expect to return it Wednesday morning to me. Will see...fingers crossed.

Dmix
2006 350Z GT (sold)
1995 240SX Zenki (sold)

I'm still waiting lol. I also asked to get the other stuff updated and at first they said they can't but then they said they could but will charge me $150.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Big_Tone wrote:Just dropped mine off. In addition to the timing chain, I asked them to update the ECU and TCU. They said they'd try to get I back to me by Friday, but can't promise. There's one car they're finishing up today and one more in front of me.
Called the dealership yesterday to find out if my car would still be ready Friday (today) as estimated. Nope! Apparently the car they're working on in front of mine presented some challenges that took longer than the customary 3 days. Now they're telling me next Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm experiencing withdrawal. I want my car back!!!

marosari00
Car: 2012 M56S (Stormie), 2010 Mercedes C300 Sport (Capri)

marosari00 wrote:Dropped off mine this morning. They expect to return it Wednesday morning to me. Will see...fingers crossed.
Returned as promised...and all is good! Thank you Infiniti of Melbourne!

walt1227

Got mine back on Tuesday as promised. I haven't looked under the hood yet but she is running even stronger now. I was able to get it sideways leaving the dealership. I hit it coming off the turn and she fish tailed, I got off her let her straighten back up and nailed her again and she went flying down the road lol. I also noticed that it runs a little heavier now than it use to. I noticed it last night and this morning on my way to work. It def is a little louder than it was prior to going in for the recall but still not enough to say it doesn't need an aftermarket exhaust. Thanks Crossroads Infiniti!

Ilya

Wish I could get sideways...damn AWD.

jmissile
Car: 2011 m56s

Big_Tone wrote:Apparently the car they're working on in front of mine presented some challenges that took longer than the customary 3 days. Now they're telling me next Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm experiencing withdrawal. I want my car back!!!
I was having withdrawals after driving the q70 loaner after a few days. I ended up suffering for almost 3 full weeks without my car. It was nice of them to take mine in instead of turning me away for a future appointment even though there were 8 cars to do before mine!

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

jmissile wrote:
Big_Tone wrote:Apparently the car they're working on in front of mine presented some challenges that took longer than the customary 3 days. Now they're telling me next Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm experiencing withdrawal. I want my car back!!!
I was having withdrawals after driving the q70 loaner after a few days. I ended up suffering for almost 3 full weeks without my car. It was nice of them to take mine in instead of turning me away for a future appointment even though there were 8 cars to do before mine!
3 weeks?! And at least you had a Q70. I have a Q50. :frown: Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car; it's just not for me. I will say the sound system is AWESOME in this thing, though.

Dmix
2006 350Z GT (sold)
1995 240SX Zenki (sold)

Big_Tone wrote:
jmissile wrote: I was having withdrawals after driving the q70 loaner after a few days. I ended up suffering for almost 3 full weeks without my car. It was nice of them to take mine in instead of turning me away for a future appointment even though there were 8 cars to do before mine!
3 weeks?! And at least you had a Q70. I have a Q50. :frown: Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car; it's just not for me. I will say the sound system is AWESOME in this thing, though.
Lol you guys are complaining about having Q's, it's been 3.5 weeks and I've been stuck with a Nissan Altima with 0 options and what feels like a 12 hp engine.

Ilya

Dmix wrote:
Big_Tone wrote: 3 weeks?! And at least you had a Q70. I have a Q50. :frown: Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car; it's just not for me. I will say the sound system is AWESOME in this thing, though.
Lol you guys are complaining about having Q's, it's been 3.5 weeks and I've been stuck with a Nissan Altima with 0 options and what feels like a 12 hp engine.
Sucks to suck bro. :gapteeth:

On a serious note though, that's torture lol.

Dmix
2006 350Z GT (sold)
1995 240SX Zenki (sold)

Ilya wrote:
Dmix wrote:
Sucks to suck bro. :gapteeth:

On a serious note though, that's torture lol.
Lol I know. Seriously dying.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Dmix wrote:
Big_Tone wrote: 3 weeks?! And at least you had a Q70. I have a Q50. :frown: Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car; it's just not for me. I will say the sound system is AWESOME in this thing, though.
Ouch!

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”