<- Owns a 2006 Infiniti M45 with Journey and Technology (w/ XM) packages. I purchased a Composite A/V iPod cable at my local Radio Shack store which ran me about $15. It is extremely similar to the one available online here, but does not have a USB connection. Because I have the Technology (w/ XM) package, my M45 has three A/V connections behind the center console. Instead of having the wires exposed, messy, and possibly distracting when driving I decided to tackle the center console with the Field Service Manuals - available on NICO here - and make the connection look as OEM as possible.
Time required: 30 minutes
- Flathead Screwdriver
- Phillips-head Screwdriver
- Drill and various sockets
1) Get in the backseat. Use a flathead screwdriver to pry out the backside of the center console (the component which encloses the A/C vents and contains the A/V connections and cigarette lighter). The easiest location to stick the screwdriver in and to leverage enough power for removing the backside of the console is in the gap between the backside component and the top of the console. It will 'plop' out.
2) Locate the two screws that surround the A/V and cigarette lighter tray. Remove them and then remove the tray.
3) Inside the tray you will need to disassemble the A/V connections and remove them.
4) Plug in your cable into the now dissembled A/V connections and jiffy them threw the open space underneath the entire center console until you believe they have reached the front of it.
5) Reassemble the backside of the center console (leave the A/V connections and cigarette lighter inside the open space and do not put them back into the tray [you can't anyways because the cables are now at the front of the center console, but still, don't try.. ])
6) Go to your driver's side seat. Press down the top lid of the cup-holders to flip the component open. With your hand, locate the gripping location between the now opened lid and top of the cup-holders. Pull up. The component will be removed and you will have access to the hidden portion underneath the center console. Find you wires and continue to pull them until they come outside of the center console.
7) You will notice that the climate-controlled switch knobs and the coin holder were not removed when you took out the cupholder component. Locate the two screws that are on either side of the long tray that hold the switches/coin holder. They will be gold in color. Remove them.
8) Disconnect the wires that are connected behind the climate-controlled switches. Remove the entire tray component and take it with you outside of the vehicle and prepare to drill into it.
9) Drill into the right-hand side of the coin holder with a large enough socket that will allow you to fit in the iPod cable's end connection. Do multiple test fits to ensure that you don't create too large of a hole that may cause the wire to fall back into the center console.
10) Bring the tray back into the vehicle and pull the iPod cable's end connection threw your newly made hole. You now have OEM-looking iPod integration in your 2006-2007 Infiniti M35 or M45. Woo!
11) Reassemble everything and enjoy your music.
My beautiful OEM-looking integration again: