DIY OEM-like iPod Integration for 2006-2007 Infiniti M35/M45

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
InfinitiEric

<- Owns a 2006 Infiniti M45 with Journey and Technology (w/ XM) packages. I purchased a Composite A/V iPod cable at my local Radio Shack store which ran me about $15. It is extremely similar to the one available online here, but does not have a USB connection. Because I have the Technology (w/ XM) package, my M45 has three A/V connections behind the center console. Instead of having the wires exposed, messy, and possibly distracting when driving I decided to tackle the center console with the Field Service Manuals - available on NICO here - and make the connection look as OEM as possible.

Time required: 30 minutes

Materials needed:
  • Flathead Screwdriver
  • Phillips-head Screwdriver
  • Drill and various sockets
Procedure:

1) Get in the backseat. Use a flathead screwdriver to pry out the backside of the center console (the component which encloses the A/C vents and contains the A/V connections and cigarette lighter). The easiest location to stick the screwdriver in and to leverage enough power for removing the backside of the console is in the gap between the backside component and the top of the console. It will 'plop' out.

2) Locate the two screws that surround the A/V and cigarette lighter tray. Remove them and then remove the tray.

3) Inside the tray you will need to disassemble the A/V connections and remove them.

4) Plug in your cable into the now dissembled A/V connections and jiffy them threw the open space underneath the entire center console until you believe they have reached the front of it.

5) Reassemble the backside of the center console (leave the A/V connections and cigarette lighter inside the open space and do not put them back into the tray [you can't anyways because the cables are now at the front of the center console, but still, don't try.. ;) ])

6) Go to your driver's side seat. Press down the top lid of the cup-holders to flip the component open. With your hand, locate the gripping location between the now opened lid and top of the cup-holders. Pull up. The component will be removed and you will have access to the hidden portion underneath the center console. Find you wires and continue to pull them until they come outside of the center console.

7) You will notice that the climate-controlled switch knobs and the coin holder were not removed when you took out the cupholder component. Locate the two screws that are on either side of the long tray that hold the switches/coin holder. They will be gold in color. Remove them.

8) Disconnect the wires that are connected behind the climate-controlled switches. Remove the entire tray component and take it with you outside of the vehicle and prepare to drill into it.

9) Drill into the right-hand side of the coin holder with a large enough socket that will allow you to fit in the iPod cable's end connection. Do multiple test fits to ensure that you don't create too large of a hole that may cause the wire to fall back into the center console.

10) Bring the tray back into the vehicle and pull the iPod cable's end connection threw your newly made hole. You now have OEM-looking iPod integration in your 2006-2007 Infiniti M35 or M45. Woo! :)

11) Reassemble everything and enjoy your music.

My beautiful OEM-looking integration again:

a.blanco0905
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

Very nice... I like this one better...

post5988299.html?hilit=ipod opinion#p5988299

InfinitiEric

The only thing with that kit is that becomes a pain in the a** to use the shifter (for manual mode or whatever) with the iPod in the dock. With mine I can throw it into the cup holders and out of the way ;)

a.blanco0905
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

^ :bowrofl: You make sense!!!

P.S. Did you read the entire thread?

InfinitiEric

No, I just looked at the pictures. One sec I'll read the thread.. this better be good hahaha

txrover
Car: 2007 M35

Can you tap into the 3-RCA jacks w/out removing them from the back? I kind of like the idea of having the inputs stay in the back, but adding an additional 3.5mm audio jack for my Droid phone for use as an MP3 player. My kids have itouch's, so getting an apple cable like that and having it in the back for them is also attractive with the stock jacks, since they could also use the power outlet too. thx!

InfinitiEric

You most definitely can do that by cutting and splicing the A/V input wires, reattaching (with new wires) the spliced portion to the original inputs, and then attaching (with new wires again) the other part of the spliced portion to new A/V jacks that you purchase from some electronic store. Then plug the iPod cord into your newly spliced jacks, meanwhile leaving the old jacks as is inside the rear compartment. Somewhat like a coaxial cable splitter:

big_dish

This is nice but how do those of us without the rear aux hookups connect an ipod? I am completely perplexed that these cars would have bluetooth capability- but only for phone calls. What is that? Also the lack of an aux port is confusing in a car like this (FWIW I have an 07 M45 with bose/Nav but not the extra tech packages).

I just bought the car and went to pair my phone and was extremely disappointed that what I thought was full bluetooth was only a phone function. I bought an FM transmitter, which serves a purpose but I hope to ditch that thing ASAP.

If anyone has seen a write up, please let me know. I'm coming from a VW/350Z world where you can find a million DIYs for anything you want, and there obviously isnt the same online support with these cars (understandably). I've searched and cant find anything, really.

Thanks!

Ronrico
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

big_dish wrote:This is nice but how do those of us without the rear aux hookups connect an ipod? I am completely perplexed that these cars would have bluetooth capability- but only for phone calls. What is that? Also the lack of an aux port is confusing in a car like this (FWIW I have an 07 M45 with bose/Nav but not the extra tech packages).

I just bought the car and went to pair my phone and was extremely disappointed that what I thought was full bluetooth was only a phone function. I bought an FM transmitter, which serves a purpose but I hope to ditch that thing ASAP.

If anyone has seen a write up, please let me know. I'm coming from a VW/350Z world where you can find a million DIYs for anything you want, and there obviously isnt the same online support with these cars (understandably). I've searched and cant find anything, really.

Thanks!
There's an option out there for those w/out the Tech pkg. Here's the post for the install. I followed it with no problems and it works great. Found the unit on Ebay for $115 about a year ago but they're on Amazon and a few other sites:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/pa15-i ... 5-m45.html

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”