Odometer/Gas Gauge partial display missing

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
05questowner
Car: 2005 Nissan Quest

I have a 2005 Nissan Quest and part of the display and odometer numbers do not display. Over the course of the day they come back. They will eventually all come back. Anyone else have this issue? or know what could cause it? Also my gas gauge seems to beact weird. It will read correctly for a while the drop to about half a tank then come back up to full.

Thanks!

renee0069

My 2005 Quest has the same problem. Sometimes it works and sometimes not - more not Also, we just replaced the timing chains so be careful because it happens right around 60-65k miles from what I am told and it is very expensive. Let me know if you find anything out on the odometer because they want to charge me $500 to fix. Thanks!

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

to the OP, you have a "short" somewhere... there's an online manual on this site for your vehicle...

to renee, i thought these run on timing BELTS... then they need to be changed in a timely manner or the INTERFERENCE engine will bend valves when the belt breaks... on my 3.3L engine that is... 105,ooo mile interval

i dunno about the 3.5L if they switch to timing CHAINS...there should be no interval changes for a chain...

edit: you got ripped off if you changed out the timing chains on your 3.5L 2005 quest this early in the game!

keep the oil clean so the hydraulic tensioner will keep the chain "tight"

ps: also heard the rear spark plugs are a biatch for this engine

wbaradio

Hey, my 2004 Quest just did the same thing. Odom/Gas gauge/Water Temp has partial display. We had a recent Nor'Easter that blew rain almost latterally, so I thought it might be caused by moisture in the display?

Did you repair... if so can you tell me what you did to fix it?

norcalnewbie

Hi guys new to the forums. I just joined and I happened to run across this thread while looking for a fix for my window gettting stuck at times.

I had the same problem as the OP. I purchased my Nissan Quest from a public auction in my area and I got it for a good deal because the miles didn't show. I guess people don't like to buy cars without miles not really sure. I ended up taking the car to Antioch Nissan and they refered me to Speed o tech in concord, ca(could be speed O tach) I'm kind of deaf sometimes lol. I took it out there and they were able to fix the display problem with in a couple of hours. I paid roughly $160 and some change with a 1 year warranty . They seem to be a reputable company because they had dealers and some retail customers dropping off speedometers and radios while I waited. Its been a little more than a year and it seems to be working fine. The display segments haven't gone away so I can safely say they fixed my speedometer. Just thought I'd give you the heads up.

Off topic: anyone know what could be wrong with my driver side window? It doesn't seem to want to roll down. It sucks going through a drive through. Any info would be great!!!

Modified by norcalnewbie at 8:50 AM 2/24/2010
Modified by norcalnewbie at 11:58 AM 2/24/2010

lino
Car: 1991 Q45a Fed-Spec, IQP/White, Texasoil 9 Accumulator Recharge, '93 TCU 1st Gear Start, JWFSB, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, BBS Forged Wheels, DRLs, Silverstars, Tint, Very Well Serviced.

The guys in my signature have been selling instrument clusters for very cheap. They may have full clusters or just the separate parts available.

thumper300zx
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest
1991 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (Manual)
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo (Manual)
1971 Datsun 240z (Manual)

norcalnewbie wrote:Hi guys new to the forums. I just joined and I happened to run across this thread while looking for a fix for my window gettting stuck at times.

I had the same problem as the OP. I purchased my Nissan Quest from a public auction in my area and I got it for a good deal because the miles didn't show. I guess people don't like to buy cars without miles not really sure. I ended up taking the car to Antioch Nissan and they refered me to Speed o tech in concord, ca(could be speed O tach) I'm kind of deaf sometimes lol. I took it out there and they were able to fix the display problem with in a couple of hours. I paid roughly $160 and some change with a 1 year warranty . They seem to be a reputable company because they had dealers and some retail customers dropping off speedometers and radios while I waited. Its been a little more than a year and it seems to be working fine. The display segments haven't gone away so I can safely say they fixed my speedometer. Just thought I'd give you the heads up.

Off topic: anyone know what could be wrong with my driver side window? It doesn't seem to want to roll down. It sucks going through a drive through. Any info would be great!!!

Modified by norcalnewbie at 8:50 AM 2/24/2010
Modified by norcalnewbie at 11:58 AM 2/24/2010
Hmm...cool to know. So, I guess Nissan can't/doesn't fix these. Gotta find a place that knows how to fix electronics...probably just a capacitor or something.

Can NISSAN pull the mileage from the odometer? Or can it only be read if the display is working?

thumper300zx
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest
1991 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (Manual)
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo (Manual)
1971 Datsun 240z (Manual)

http://www.sotelectronics.com/

Speed-O-Tach -- callin' em right now.

Sidewaysj
Car: 2005 Nissan 350Z + Quest

:yesnod :yesnod S O T Electronics in Concord CA. They repaired mine better than new for only $160 Speed O Tach is what their name stands for. They are a real shop and do great work. :chuckle:

Ewabebe
Car: 2005 Nissan Quest SL

I have 2005 Nissan Quest SL with 56K miles the display with the odometer, temp, and fuel gauge has been not working correctly for about 2 years (since about 40K miles). Dealer says $700 to replace, there is no reason we customers need to be responsible for this replacement so let us join forces and request together.
The issue why the odometer for Nissan Q 2004-2009 display getting bad is due to the manufacturing defect on the display bored, I am going to send all the information to consumer protection agency if you have issue or you already paid and fix contact me. We all have to be reimbursed and Nissan NA needs to be responsible for repair.

Areeel
Car: 2004 Quest

I have a 2004 Quest SL (136,000 mi) with this problem. Partial effect on odometer on-going. Also had temporary effect on gas & temp gauges but they recovered. Looking for solution.

Mitchie
Car: 2005 Nissan quest s

I have the same problem with my odometer. I'm trying to sell my car and can't provide the right mileage. So, what the best thing to do? I don't want to spend a lot of money on this. What did you do, EWABEBE? Do u know a place here in NYC that will fix it for less?

bgagurl

stupid nissan quest gauge cluster issues, i posted on another forum but im a little pissed about this i mean why even use the lcd just make a traditional mechanical part
anyways i found a video on google or youtube after watching it seemed professional enough although i understood 40% of it lol

called xmoddz.com and got it fixed yay, now i know how much gas is left in my tank

jlapoint
Car: 2004 Nissan quest

Ewabebe wrote:I have 2005 Nissan Quest SL with 56K miles the display with the odometer, temp, and fuel gauge has been not working correctly for about 2 years (since about 40K miles). Dealer says $700 to replace, there is no reason we customers need to be responsible for this replacement so let us join forces and request together.
The issue why the odometer for Nissan Q 2004-2009 display getting bad is due to the manufacturing defect on the display bored, I am going to send all the information to consumer protection agency if you have issue or you already paid and fix contact me. We all have to be reimbursed and Nissan NA needs to be responsible for repair.
I have the same problem so far Nissan will not stand behind this problem with the gauge cluster.Has anyone had luck with Nissan on fixing this issue

06quester

I have the same problem. It is very frustrating! Really want to see whether we can form a class action against NISSAN

junkjunker

The problem is a bad Flex Ribbon Cable that connects the LCD panel to the circuit board. It is slowly disconnecting from the circuit board, that's why it is intermittent and often depends on the temperature. It won't get better, but you can fix it (or send it off to a repair facility as noted previously).

There is NO need to replace the whole instrument cluster. Just the ribbon cable.

Here's the part (I just bought 5 of them, if you want one, PM me):
http://www.obd2repair.com/pixel-repair- ... -2062.html

Here's how to get the instrument cluster off the dash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU2OJxJbbEk

Here's how to disassemble the cluster and solder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaZWbOIOu_o

And here's a closeup of the ribbon cable replace/repair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnz_WWRaRp0

Here's the special solder iron and silicon tip:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZUKGVY

Good luck!

blackduop

I need one junkjunker

blackduop

junkjunker wrote:The problem is a bad Flex Ribbon Cable that connects the LCD panel to the circuit board. It is slowly disconnecting from the circuit board, that's why it is intermittent and often depends on the temperature. It won't get better, but you can fix it (or send it off to a repair facility as noted previously).

There is NO need to replace the whole instrument cluster. Just the ribbon cable.

Here's the part (I just bought 5 of them, if you want one, PM me):
http://www.obd2repair.com/pixel-repair- ... -2062.html

Here's how to get the instrument cluster off the dash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU2OJxJbbEk

Here's how to disassemble the cluster and solder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaZWbOIOu_o

And here's a closeup of the ribbon cable replace/repair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnz_WWRaRp0

Here's the special solder iron and silicon tip:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZUKGVY

Good luck!

I need one

junkjunker

blackduop wrote:I need one
Sure thing. They haven't come in yet, but I'll drop you a line when they do (should be next week sometime).
Thanks!

blackduop

Thanks in advance

95tequesta
Car: 1997 Nissan Hardbody RWD Extended Cab

what is the silicon used for with the soldering tip?

Caribou23

I would like one too please

junkjunker

Hi Folks,
The flex ribbon cables just arrived from China so I'll be starting the repair soon. I'll make sure the process works before I send out the extras so that you can be sure I don't give you a bum steer (and in case I destroy one or two!).

I believe the silicone strip is used during soldering so that you can heat up the plastic ribbon cable without melting and wrecking the plastic. Also, I've read two different scenarios, 1) that the ribbon strip is soldered to the circuit board, and 2) that it is bonded to the circuit board with a meltable adhesive (think like glue gun stick).

Here's more info on the Heat Seal Connector:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... s-Learned/

Wish me luck!

LMan
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest SE

I successfully tried the repair today. Thanks junkjunker for gathering all of the helpful links! Disclaimer: I don't know if all of the Quest LCDs are made the same way, but mine did not require any soldering... Here are some observations from my repair.

1) I purchased the ribbon and soldering iron/silicone strip from bestpixelrepair.com because I heard their ribbon already has adhesive on it (which it does). I found that helpful. Total price was about $40 US.
2) Removing the cluster was pretty straightforward, but be careful... I cracked the clear lens on the cluster while removing the cowling... fortunately, it is on the very edge and doesn't really show. Removing the speedometer & tachometer needles was a little tricky too. I found a tip on line that suggested sliding a dinner fork under the needles and carefully lifting them up and off. This worked pretty well. Make a mental note where the needles actually stop on the lowest end of the gauge so that you can press them back into the right place when you reassemble. The other side of the flex ribbon cable slides into a fixture on the circuit board-- it is a tight fit.
3) I wasn't sure how much heat to use to remove or install the ribbon cables. The silicon strip is used to reduce and control the heat from the soldering iron. I heated tried pressing the iron against the end of the ribbon strip in different places to avoid overheating. That seemed to work, but I'm not sure I used enough heat to make the ribbon come off as easily as I could-- there was a fair amount of adhesive and old ribbon traces left on the LCD.
4) When I removed the ribbon I was pretty sure I had ruined the LCD... I looked at the LCD contacts and thought that I had pulled off many of the conductors from the glass. This is important: the actual conductors are almost TRANSPARENT. The conductors I saw were actually the traces remaining from the old ribbon that were embedded in the old adhesive.
5) I cleaned the contact area with cotton swabs and isopropyl alcohol still believing that I had probably damaged the LCD contacts. As I (gently) removed the remnants of the old ribbon I began to notice the subtle pattern of the stemi-transparent LCD contacts and began to to have hope that it would work after all. I meticulously and carefully cleaned the contact surface.
6) The next trick was aligning the new ribbon to contacts I could barely see. It helped to had a bright light at the correct angle to accentuate the LCD traces. In hindsight, it would have been helpful to make some sort of jig to hold the ribbon still while I carefully translated it in place. When I thought it was aligned, I gently pressed the ribbon with adhesive against the LCD contact surface using another cotton swab. The adhesive allowed it to stick in place, which helped me a lot. It is not clear how to complete this step without the adhesive... There is no soldering, but I'm not sure you want to try to melt or bond the flex ribbon directly to the LCD. Hopefully, someone else can offer up some answers. The adhesive helped me.
7) Using the soldering iron, special T-tip, and silicone strip (the silicone strip presses snugly into the end of the soldering iron), I once again moved the iron around every few seconds. I tried to make sure I didn't overheat the surface and used the iron until the ribbon contact are looked smooth and flat. I was a little more aggressive with the iron in this step than I was in removing the old ribbon.
8) I reassembled everything (pretty straightforward), but noticed a slight problem... the new ribbon was a little longer than the original one, and it didn't fit properly when I reinstalled the printed circuit board. Eventually, I forced the new ribbon to fold gently against the internal housing of the instrument cluster. I
9) I crossed my fingers and turned on the ignition. To my delight, it worked perfectly! Only glitch was that I realized that I had the left off the small caps that cover the spindle of the speedometer and tachometer needles. Had to removed the cowling again and fit them back in place (and made another crack in the corner of the clear lens of the cluster)

I hope this helps someone else out there. I really appreciate it when others take the time to share their lessons learned. I have used them many times. I would probably have used one of the numerous repair services that claim to complete this repair for around $100 US, but I couldn't have my van out of commission for a week or more... Good luck if you attempt.

Cfavela1
Car: 2005 Nissan quest

If anyone has lcd dead pixels on their 2004-2006 Nissan quest and just don't want to deal with fixing it. I fix for cheap and have other options like trading your cluster so their is no downtime. Most of my sales are on eBay as :nono: . I understand how important it is to get your cluster back, therefore I fix and ship back the same day if possible. Call or email for questions.
:nono:
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Remove personal info

tinyhomesandberners

Same problem here. Thanks for all the helpful information to every one. Able to remove cluster and get to ribbon, now to see if I can get one on line. Junkjunker if you have extras, please let me know how much, I would like to buy at least one. Thanks

tinyhomesandberners

junkjunker wrote:Hi Folks,
The flex ribbon cables just arrived from China so I'll be starting the repair soon. I'll make sure the process works before I send out the extras so that you can be sure I don't give you a bum steer (and in case I destroy one or two!).

I believe the silicone strip is used during soldering so that you can heat up the plastic ribbon cable without melting and wrecking the plastic. Also, I've read two different scenarios, 1) that the ribbon strip is soldered to the circuit board, and 2) that it is bonded to the circuit board with a meltable adhesive (think like glue gun stick).

Here's more info on the Heat Seal Connector:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... s-Learned/

Wish me luck!

Do you have extra ribbons for sale? Thanks

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Cfavela1 wrote:If anyone has lcd dead pixels on their 2004-2006 Nissan quest and just don't want to deal with fixing it. I fix for cheap and have other options like trading your cluster so their is no downtime. Most of my sales are on eBay as :nono: . I understand how important it is to get your cluster back, therefore I fix and ship back the same day if possible. Call or email for questions.
:nono:
Please follow all classified section rules which includes not hijacking threads.
forum-rules-for-posting-to-classifieds-t507209.html

Additionally, please see our guidelines in the Advertisers' Marketplace

the6limas
Car: 04 quest

Hey junkjunker,got anymore extra 04 gas cluster ribbons,I need one for my quest badly. I saw you got 5, I don't know how to pm you. My email is [email protected] please respond!!

taninauto
Car: Nissan

Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are new vendors to the site and have plenty of experience in repairing the 2004-2005-2006 Nissan Quest LCD with ribbon. See the link below for purchasing. There is a How To video on the page as well, that shows exactly how to replace the LCD.

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/Niss ... st_lcd.htm

We also have specifically the 2004-2005-2006 Nissan Quest LCD Ribbon cable for sale that fixes common pixelation and other fading display screen issues.

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/Niss ... ribbon.htm

We are happy to answer any questions on the repairs and regarding purchasing the Quest LCD screens. If you are interested in sending in your cluster for us to repair, here is the link to the 2004-2005-2006 Nissan Quest Gauge Cluster repair service that we also offer:

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/2004 ... repair.htm

Thank you and feel free to DM us or call us at any time!

Return to “Quest Forum”