odometer/gas gauge cluster partial display missing

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
plk
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube 4dsw

I have 2009 Nissan cube with 40K miles the display cluster with the odometer, temp, and fuel gauge have not been working correctly for about 2 months. (the cluster flickers intermittently/goes completely dark/then all appears normal/ rinse repeat) a gear head suggested i keep a full tank of gas as the sensor dries out and effects the reliability of the display. that seemed to have solved the problem but now the flicking is resurfacing. there is a similar thread for the nissan quest and the consensus is a bad Flex Ribbon Cable that connects the LCD panel to the circuit board. It is slowly disconnecting from the circuit board, that's why it is intermittent and often depends on the temperature. the battery and alternator have been eliminated as the culprit. any feedback from cube owners would be appreciated. especially as to repair. thanks for your time

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Those flex cables on the LCD's rarely fail, usually they just work loose from the ZIF connector on the board. They generally just need to be cleaned and re-inserted.

plk

thanks for the response....am curious if this seems the likely cause of the problem? am very skittish about traveling for any distance with squirrely things going on with car and not knowing genesis. on the other forum someone lived with the problem for 2 years. since i like to know what i'm dealing with when i comes to repairs etc i will do further research as it relates to costs. thanks again

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I don't recall doing it with a Cube, but we repair the problem very frequently on gen7 Maximas. However, the Max clusters have the ZIF exposed at the rear of the unit. Pics of the Cube cluster show the connections are underneath the rear cover, so I can't tell you if the fix would be identical. The rear covers are generally easy to remove (just pawls around the perimeter), and if there's a ZIF right there underneath, then your fix will be easy and obvious.

plk

righto i have the user manual downloaded so i will check it out. am very impressed with your level of knowledge and willingness to share. just looked up ZIF (zero insertion force) looks like i'm going into a whole different universe. will power on and let you know what i discover. and also call the local dealership as to repair. again thanks for your time

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'm a Nissan master tech with electrical specialty, but shhhhhh.... don't tell anybody here who doesn't already know. Ooops, I just did.
:chuckle:

The ZIFs Nissan used before '13 or so were generally the type with a separate lock bar, not an integral one. That's where the problem comes from, if the bar works loose then all those 0.5mm pitch connections aren't in the right places anymore. Usually just cleaning the stripes with alcohol and getting the connector properly re-locked is all you need.

plk

okie our own guru...doing more sleuthing. found pics of cluster that has been removed which gives me a better idea visually of details. thanks again for your time

plk

onward...just digested the IP (instrument panel assembly) and MWI (meter, et al) user manuals. also looked under the dash on drivers side to see what was accessible. it appears that the steering column needs to be removed in order to get to the backside of the cluster? yikes!!!! please advise. and of course thanks for your time

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Nah, you're mis-reading something. You might need to take the clamshell cover off the column if the instrument bezel won't clear it, but the bezel (Cluster Lid A rear) is just held in by pawls and pops loose. Then there are 4 phillips screws holding the cluster in. If you need to remove the clamshell, the screws holding it will be visible when you turn the steering wheel.

plk

ok....will revisit schematics and use above tips to "just do it" as they say. wow it doesn't get any better than this!!!!! too late in the day to go any further so tomorrow we will test my qualifications as a wannabee mechanic. have a super rest of the day wherever you are!!!!

plk

hi - update. am bringing cube in tomorrow to a fellow who is strictly electrical. he's in demand had to wait over a month for an appointment. i will be bringing a transcript of our conversation. it should be an immense help. will follow up and let you know outcome. thanks again for your time

Return to “Cube Forum”