OBD-2 port not powered; is there a blown fuse?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Could be the same thing, or it could be an ECM with a bad CAN driver or other CAN issue. If the car is a no-start, check the ECM relay. You might want to try a high-end scanner that can detect the tranny, ABS, BCM, IPDM, and other systems that should be present. If you get nothing, then some device is killing the whole bus and not just the ECM. On Nissans with the TCM inside the tranny, the TCM's are notorious for crashing the whole bus when they malfunction.

raven69david
Car: 2002 Infiniti Q45

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:14 pm
Could be the same thing, or it could be an ECM with a bad CAN driver or other CAN issue. If the car is a no-start, check the ECM relay. You might want to try a high-end scanner that can detect the tranny, ABS, BCM, IPDM, and other systems that should be present. If you get nothing, then some device is killing the whole bus and not just the ECM. On Nissans with the TCM inside the tranny, the TCM's are notorious for crashing the whole bus when they malfunction.
The car starts but idles rough. If you press the gas pedal, it shuts off. I’m trying to get someone with a good scanner to try and connect to the car but haven’t been able to get anyone to come to my house to scan it.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it starts and runs at all then the ECM is alive, so you need to find out why it won't talk. The first thing to check is fuses and power to the DLC port.

raven69david

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:17 am
If it starts and runs at all then the ECM is alive, so you need to find out why it won't talk. The first thing to check is fuses and power to the DLC port.
The DLC has power as it powers the Carly unit. I checked the pins and even removed it to make sure it was making a good connection and it was fine. The pins aren’t bent and I’ve checked all the fuses to make sure they’re not blown in the main fuse box and IPDM.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Most scanners need both ignition and B+ on the DLC. If they only have B+ they'll wake up but won't read anything. Check ignition power at the DLC before assuming the "wake up" means anything.

raven69david

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:58 am
Most scanners need both ignition and B+ on the DLC. If they only have B+ they'll wake up but won't read anything. Check ignition power at the DLC before assuming the "wake up" means anything.
Thank you for all your help and suggestions. You’re awesome.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”