NV200 cargo reversing camera hack

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Simon64
Car: 2018 Nissan NV200 cargo van

I own two NV200 cargo vans, both with no windows in the rear doors. I created a hack of the reversing camera system in order to provide a virtual rear-view mirror. This is great for seeing Blind spots when driving on the highway. Simply flip a switch and see what’s behind you on the reversing camera. This hack adds a diode in order to avoid turning on the reversing lights. Both of 2015 and the 2018 vans were identical from the standpoint of this hack. Here is a YouTube video of how to do it.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Excellent. Thank you!
It blows my mind that this isn't standard on every vehicle with a backup camera, but especially vans and trucks!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I asked some people I know that work for Nissan why it isn't standard, and they said "because its a distraction". I asked them to elaborate and they said its different than a standard rearview mirror because most backup cameras are angled down a bit, and everything appears to be moving much faster while you're driving when compared to a standard glass mounted rearview mirror.
Kinda sounds like BS to me... what are your impressions?

Return to “General Chat”