NukeKS14's Grip-Zenki build

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Well another setback on the S14. Another month has come and gone and no coil-overs.

Some good news though...

Last Christmas I gave the Camaro to my little brother to make room in the garage for something I've wanted since I first saw it. The Civic is moved out into the wild now and last weekend, it showed up...

Backdraft RT4 AC Cobra replica. This belonged to my uncle and he's passed it on to me for safekeeping. I'm beyond floored. She needs new tires (they're about 14 years old...) and a few minor maintenance items but I've been finding excuses to spend time out there despite the heat.

SBF 392 dynod at just under 500Hp at the crank before the phenolic spacer was installed under the carb.

My brother brought the camaro back out to check it out so I grabbed a quick HP pic of my driveway. A little eccentric on the collection but I love them all.

I'm waiting for the weather to cool down a bit and in the hopes that my coilovers finally show up, I'll drop the rear subframe and finally finish all of the suspension on the S14. When I do, I'll be back here with pics. In the short term, things might be a little dead in this thread.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

DAYUUUM That's nice.
Hey I might have asked you before, but what is your garage floor treated with? Is that a cover or some kind of epoxy?

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Oh that's a vinyl mat. I'll have to look it up but I bought it from Home Depot in a 10' wide roll and used carpet tape to secure it when I first bought the house. HDX I think? Its held up well. The 240 likes to leak power steering fluid all over (big surprise!) And that and oil spills clean right up. You can see the seam in the first pic.

And thanks! Its my lightest and most powerful car at this point. At least until I either LS swap the 240 or finally make the jump to corn, haha.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Love it dude! That's awesome!!!

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

I got tracking for the coilovers yesterday. It only took 5 months! The forecast for the weekend is decent. I'm very excited to put the final touches on my suspension. I've been putting the blown struts on the back-burner for a while. I've actually NEVER driven this car with a properly-functioning suspension. :woot:

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Hell yeah! Congrats!

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

New coilovers are installed now. I left the preload alone but set the ride height a bit conservatively until I put a few miles on them to get the springs settled in.

Here's what came out. the struts have been blown since I bought the car. I honestly should have replaced them a LONG time ago.

The quality on these is superb. I went for a drive last night and it's a completely different car. The insides of my front tires were starting to show some light feathering from the old struts being blown as well. Glad I'm not running expensive tires on this thing. After I get everything to settle in and set the ride height I'll go have an alignment done. Its a bit late tonight but I'll grab some more pictures tomorrow.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Awesome! Congrats!
Does HKS say their pre-load is set from the factory? I'd be surprised if it is... I would imagine they just slap it together and expect the end user to do it.
Although HKS is more expensive than the brands I'm used to dealing with haha.

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:39 am
Awesome! Congrats!
Does HKS say their pre-load is set from the factory? I'd be surprised if it is... I would imagine they just slap it together and expect the end user to do it.
Although HKS is more expensive than the brands I'm used to dealing with haha.
They don't quote a pre-load but have set the coilovers up as-follows. Most quality coilovers come with a 2-5mm preload from what I understand. I didn't mess with the spring perches/collars regardless. Thankfully, ride height was pretty darn close out of the box. I ended up lowering the fronts a hair with the lower assembly, if that makes sense. Maybe ca18detboy will let me use his scales and corner balance it one of these days. ;)

Here it is, waxed and adjusted. Such a dream to drive. I don't whack my head on the ceiling after every bump now.

float_6969

YYYEESSS!!! Congrats! Can't wait to see it again.

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Upgraded the power steering reservoir to a Chase Bays setup and have gained quite a bit of clearance from the exhaust manifold. I'm going to have to make my own line for the reservoir to pump section because, with the location of the turbo and fact that I've dropped the engine a fair amount for hood clearance, the standard sized line is just a bit too short. I made a temporary bracket and I'll probably get around to making a new line and actually redoing the wiring in the engine bay this winter.

float_6969

Nice! I have the same kit setting on my bench, just haven't installed it yet. Chase Bay's makes great stuff.

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

float_6969 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:15 am
Nice! I have the same kit setting on my bench, just haven't installed it yet. Chase Bay's makes great stuff.
I'm happy with everything so far. You'll see a few posts back where I had to bastardize my OEM lines to clear the exhaust manifold and it was still REALLY tight. I have WAY more clearance this way and I think it's kind of obligatory when running the Full-Race mani on a KA due to placement. I'd already installed their lines on my steering rack to replace the bent/leaking OEM hardlines while I had the engine out. SUPER easy to remove for that extra clearance when pulling/installing the drivetrain too. They charge a lot but the value is there for sure. Kind of half-assed looking into their brake line kit as well since I just snagged a new 17/16 BMC on sale this past week.

You can see the silicone 90 I had to source and the junction, and with the sleeve installed it was within about 1/8" of touching. MUCH much better solution here.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Looks good.
I didn't even know chase bays made a PS reservoir. I'll need to look into it. What are you going to use for your reservoir to pump line? I need a better solution than what I'm running now, but it seems like no one uses a line as big (diameter) as Nissan does lol.

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:20 pm
Looks good.
I didn't even know chase bays made a PS reservoir. I'll need to look into it. What are you going to use for your reservoir to pump line? I need a better solution than what I'm running now, but it seems like no one uses a line as big (diameter) as Nissan does lol.
Thanks! More 'little' stuff that adds up in my opinion.

When I did my modification to the stock line, I used 5/8"ID silicone hose and it held up well. I needed a preformed 90 RIGHT AT the pump for clearance.
This is what I bought and trimmed one end;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O ... UTF8&psc=1
And then used this with a coupler for the remainder that i needed;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DI ... UTF8&psc=1

Ghetto but it got the job done, along with some heat sleeve.

The Chase Bays kit converts it over to a -10 (or -12?) AN fitting on both ends so I can make/use whatever I like. In hindsight, They have a couple of options and one is cut to fit. I SHOULD have probably bought that one but I thought I could get it to fit with a little finesse to the bracket. I forgot to take into account how much I've dropped my motor though. (Xcessive 3/4" drop motor mounts AND P2M poly bushings with a spacer removed.) I had to purchase the pressure reduction banjo fitting separately but I would absolutely recommend it as that's the primary place where my OEM setup was weeping from and no combination of crush washers could seem to staunch the flow. I guess I just suck at it but not a drop has made it past this one so far!

Link to the M18 banjo bolt here;
https://www.chasebays.com/collections/n ... ssan-pumps

Here's their ALTERNATE PS reservoir option to the one they've got advertised, to allow for mounting it next to the radiator core.
https://www.chasebays.com/products/chas ... t-mounting

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

^Ah yeah that core mount looks like it would be the way to go for me. My intercooler piping occupies the stock location, so I moved mine around the strut tower a little bit. I should grab a pic.

float_6969

I bought the core mount. I looked at putting it in this weekend, but realized it was going to take longer than I thought and put it off for later. I'm worrried that they've assumed nobody has AC with this kit. It might be because this is on a CA18 with a KA bracket and compressor, but clearance for the pump inlet to the AC low pressure line is TIGHT. Like, I don't think that once I put the AN adapter on, there will be any room for he fitting to attach. Also, I haven't been able to figure out where they're expecting you to put the bracket for the reservoir. I'm assuming they're expecting you to drill holes in the core support and use nutserts/nuts and bolts as I didn't see any other place to attach it in that location.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Yeah at this point I'd just be happy with finding a 5/8 oil resistant hose that is in some sort of S-shape bend for my application.
I've bought a few online that don't mention their ID and have gotten burned. Most are BMW 12mm hoses :(

float_6969

I just watched a Chase Bays vid yesterday that was talking about how Nissan used an odd sized hose and they had to create a fitting because nothing "off the shelf" works.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Welllllllllllllll damnit lol

00pathyse
Car: 2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Sedan

Beautiful car!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

float_6969 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:20 am
I just watched a Chase Bays vid yesterday that was talking about how Nissan used an odd sized hose and they had to create a fitting because nothing "off the shelf" works.
I finally bit the bullet and sat down with several beers and combed through rock auto until my eyes bled. I think I started at year 1980 and ended up at 2002 when I discovered a 2002 corolla power steering reservoir line hose looked like it would fit with my application (my reservoir is relocated to the front side of the strut tower). The Sunsong part number is 3403239. My vintage Nissan clamp was a touch too small for the OD, so I went with one of those spring clamps. It, apparently is a touch too large cos I get a slight weep when the car is sitting. I'll replace it soon.
Otherwise, it got the job done!

Sorry to thread jack. Just figured I'd get the information out there. Its a little difficult to see what's what in the picture. My turbo coolant lines also run over there. Everything is black, etc.
Attachments
3AF0BE90-A217-43ED-92A2-4C0F37810DB3.jpeg

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

00pathyse wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:53 am
Beautiful car!
Thanks! Maybe replacing the hacked-up upper rad support, headlights, and actually redoing wiring this winter. She'll look good after I get the bodywork done and resprayed (eventually?)
PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:23 am
float_6969 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:20 am
I finally bit the bullet and sat down with several beers and combed through rock auto until my eyes bled. I think I started at year 1980 and ended up at 2002 when I discovered a 2002 corolla power steering reservoir line hose looked like it would fit with my application (my reservoir is relocated to the front side of the strut tower). The Sunsong part number is 3403239. My vintage Nissan clamp was a touch too small for the OD, so I went with one of those spring clamps. It, apparently is a touch too large cos I get a slight weep when the car is sitting. I'll replace it soon.
Otherwise, it got the job done!

Sorry to thread jack. Just figured I'd get the information out there. Its a little difficult to see what's what in the picture. My turbo coolant lines also run over there. Everything is black, etc.
No, no that's awesome. Thanks for sharing the info! I'm guessing the S13/S14 are just slightly different which is why I was able to get away w/ the 5/8" on mine? no clue. Still very happy I switched over to the Chase Bays setup. I'll get around to making a new hose eventually since it's converted over to -AN now. Still good find.

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

I've been accumulating parts again and saving for a new EFI setup. Am I converting to Haltech on the S14? Holley Terminator Stealth on the Cobra? Nobody knows (not even me at this point, as I haven't 100% made up my mind, haha.)

The chassis has been WAY more enjoyable to drive with the new coil overs. I've really just been out cruising it and getting damping settings and my open-loop EBC duty map dialed in for the winter. :gapteeth:

In the meantime,I snagged a coil bracket intended for K-series Honda coils. The spacers for the mounting bolts to the coils were a bit short but once that was sorted, they fit just fine. I've got a spare S14 valvecover lying in the garage waiting to be cleaned up and powdercoated for the final iteration of things so I'll probably paint this to compliment.

Among my short term collection, I got the hookup on a front upper radiator support and I need to get the euro headlights in, so it might be time to just disassemble the front clip and clean up EB wiring while I'm in there. And the brake lines... Oh yeah, I snagged one of the dual-piston Chase Bays brake booster delete kits on black friday sale. Should give me much better clearance for the wastegate. Hope everyone is enjoying their holidays. Looking forward to this spring. :woot:

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Sweet!
Interesting to see what you think about a booster delete...

float_6969

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:25 pm
Sweet!
I second this. I went through a lot of trouble trying to keep a booster, but if a manual brake setup could be made that doesn't annoy me, I'd be very interested.

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

float_6969 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:07 pm
PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:25 pm
Sweet!
I second this. I went through a lot of trouble trying to keep a booster, but if a manual brake setup could be made that doesn't annoy me, I'd be very interested.
Well it just arrived at my house today so ... I'll have it installed w pics this weekend I hope. We'll get it out for you to try one of these weekends coming up.

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Hoping to get into this and the GKTech motor-mounts tomorrow.

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

I'm holding out my final impressions until I get my new brake pads installed. Removing the brake booster and changing the BMC out completely changes the dynamics of the brakes and, as a total package, I THINK to be fair I need to include the right set of pads for this configuration. In that vein I've ordered some Carbotech AX6s. I like Carbotech over the Hawks because they're non-corrosive. I've run them on the Camaro at the track and love the initial bite and modulation.

Having said that I am happy with the set up, it just isn't 100% what I envision but I think the pads are going to take care of that for me.

On to the pics. So it cleaned up the engine bay a TON and, with the placement of my EBC on this manifold, I'm able to clock it around a little better for clearance of my dump away from the steering rack. I did the lines while I was at it and it is night and day IMHO. I'm still dialing in the bias but I took a break from that until the pads are installed and bedded in. I need to come up with a solution for my wideband but, I THINK, I'll just take care of all of that in 1 fell swoop when I convert over to Haltech and rewire/clean the engine bay one last time.

Not a great angle but there's a good 1" of clearance between the back of the heat shield and the rear brake line.

The only thing that was close to tight was the EBC to front-driver's brake line. I was able to route it clear and I installed some thermal sleeve to keep it safe.

You can see looking down just how tight it was before with the OEM booster. I've softened up the mounts, replacing the P2M poly bushings with GKTech rubber ones and the NVH is greatly reduced. I just need to replace those rear subframe collars this spring with my energy suspension bushings and the NVH should be tolerable for my drive down to tail of the dragon this fall.

I'll loop back around in a few weeks once I've got the pads installed and bedded in and leave a detailed impression/opinion of how they turned out. I can definitely lock the brakes up if I want to, as expected it just requires a bit more effort. Once I get that initial bite-in that I want I think this set up will be perfect for what I want. I really don't think this is for everyone though but I'm excited to try this out on the track (hopefully) later this year.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Good stuff.
I'm looking for a stickier set of pads myself for my S13... if I could find some sticky ceramics, that would be ideal. My 240 doesn't weigh much and I don't really track it, but the brakes definitely leave a little something to be desired, especially if I'm hauling something in the back.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”