NukeKS14's Grip-Zenki build

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Looking good!

zerepdivad
Car: '90 240sx . '02 Lexus IS300

I like this build thread. Looking good

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

zerepdivad wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:06 am
Thanks, how did that ecu work out for you?

I've got a shelf of parts i need to install and do some updates.

zerepdivad
Car: '90 240sx . '02 Lexus IS300

NukeKS14 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:44 am
zerepdivad wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:06 am
Thanks, how did that ecu work out for you?

I've got a shelf of parts i need to install and do some updates.

I haven't even used it yet. I ended up buying a Skyline not long after and it got put on hold. I'm planning to finally put the turbo on this winter here shortly.

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Short update; I've been chasing some issues where the car was breaking up under boost. I got it fixed today and she's running better than ever. New NGK ignition coils. Replaced the ISR FPR with a Radium unit and pressure gauge. Went out and did some light tuning today and if the weather permits I'll be back at it tomorrow. Still no brake install, I've been really busy with work but hopefully that'll happen soon and maybe I'll get those EDM glass headlights installed.

Hope everyone's out enjoying their nice weather. More updates to come soon.

float_6969

What did you do with the dizzy? Just leave the cap with no leads? Looks great though!

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

I'll grab a pic tomorrow. I trimmed off the coil flush with the base and put an Xcessive cap on. The dizzy is just there for CAS functionality (replaced the stock trigger disc with a 12-1 unit) so the CAS plug is there but the integrated 2-wire coil plug is disconnected. I'd intended to redo my wiring harness this winter. And lower intake manifold. And brakes. And.... lots of stuff. Kept getting distracted with other projects though.

(edit) You can actually see it in this one. Pardon the mess. The integrated coil wires are going to get pulled back into the cabin to latch the relay I'm using to power the current ignition coils. They get 12V straight from the terminal block I've tucked into my ventilation plenum. Currently I'm borrowing latch signal from my fuel pump because it's one of the only other things that doesn't lose power while the engine is cranking, but that's temporary until I get off my butt and redo the whole harness. I have a lot to delete from emissions and all of the electronics on the IM are going away except the 2 IACV plugs on the backside of the plenum.

I saw you listed one of your S14's for sale. Good luck! really reasonable price. I'll put the word out but I doubt you'll have any trouble.

float_6969

I love the way that looks! We GOTTA meet up soon!

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Mini update;

I get one day off a week right now so progress has been rather slow due to "adulting".

I've upgraded the Mazworx shifter for my Z32 trans in favor of the Z1motorsports unit and the characteristic Z32 buzzing is gone. I'm very happy with it, it's a tiny bit longer of a throw but hardly noticeable. I went with the RHD version and I get better clearance around my shift-boot bezel. No pictures but, it's a shifter.

I also noticed the other week that the way the trans is oriented, the lowest point on my car is actually... the clutch line.

so I've ordered the entire replacement line from GK tech and it arrived in no time at all. It ends in a banjo bolt so no more clutch line hanging down.
Here's the old hardline removed. (I'd deleted the damper box a long time ago)

May as well clean out the reservoir while I'm at it. Good old Zep de-greaser for the win

And with it all back in. I adjusted the engagement point a touch but it feels great. I never really had clutch issues but now I don't have to worry about catching it on something I drive over.

float_6969

That's weird that the Z32 box made the line hang down like that, maybe they just expect you to use a flexible line the whole way?

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Well i think.the z32 trans is oriented a bit differently to the VG. To line it up on the KA, it gets rotated at a weird angle. Dunno. Will have pics tomorrow of brakes (finally!)

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

It only took a year's worth of procrastination. I finally got the rest of my parts ordered and started on my brake project. I got a good deal on some 30mm Z32 Irons that I wanted since I'm hoping to track this thing, and the brackets from Z1Motorsport to run them with Z33/G35 Brembo rotors for help with heat dissipation. So here's what I started with.

PO installed the 30mm Aluminum Z32 calipers with rubber lines. Man they were worn out and I'm sure were a big part of my spongy brake feel.

Picked up some more GKtech parts. I've been very happy with everything so far. They now make e-brake cables for S14/Z32 rear brake conversions. I'll post up more about that when I get into the rears (bigger project that'll involve dropping the rear subframe and doing bushings at the same time.) Braided lines to replace the soggy OEM ones.

And the rotors/brackets from Z1. Man these things look nice. The rotors are rebuildable. If I need to step up a little more I can very inexpensively move to a Z33/G35 Brembo caliper up front and all I'll need hardware wise is the caliper/pads.

Size comparison with what came off.

Going to try my hand with some Bosch brake fluid since it's driven on the street more often than the track. I found this shopping for my gold-standard ATE Typ-200 that seems to be rather hard to come by these days.

New calipers powdercoated and all ready to go

And with everything bolted up I think it looks awesome. We'll see when everything's done and I can go bed the pads in.

Tons of clearance w/ the 30th Anniversary Z33 wheels.

float_6969

The look of big brakes behind big wheels never gets old. Love it Aaron!

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Thanks man. Cant wait to finish the rear diff and subframe bushings and get the new coilovers on...if they ever ship.

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Another short update on my day off. New antisway bars arrived yesterday. I went with Progress units and they are definitely beefy. Really good quality on all the parts, solid endlinks included

I also sprung for an ATi Superdamper. Once the rear is put back together I'll get the OEM one out of there and replaced.

Rear brakes! I got these assembled finally, only to be taken back apart again. I found a deal on some rear knuckles with the energy suspension bushings already pressed in. Once the new coilovers finally get here, I'll drop the rear subframe and do the subframe/diff bushings, coilovers, and finally finish the suspension.

float_6969

I REALLY want to see how your car handle with the bars. That's exactly the ones I'm considering the most, but my car is way more softly sprung than yours will be, so I'm worried it will be too much bar. What spring rates do you have on there now?

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Jic FLT-A1s. Getting replaced by HKS Hipermax IVs.

JIC are 8/6k f/r, the HKS are 8/5 progressive and have the helper spring.

I'll come let you take it for a spin when the HKS are on. Theyre backordered til July at the moment.

float_6969

I'm running NISMO S-Tunes, so they're around 6/4 IIRC. Not THAT far off. LMK when they're on!

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Went out and did some light tuning last night. Changed my EGO control from PID back to simple and lowered step size to .2% and increased event number per change. Really smooth on the AFR feedback but I'm getting some oscillation on actual AFRs at all speeds. thinking I need to dig in to the controller settings but overall AFR stability at cruise is vastly improved. Car is running great, I did get an update on the coilovers. Looks like they're currently expected to ship to me on 7/19. Sheesh. Also my new driver's seat showed up. Sparco R100. still a few weeks out for the brackets. I'll try to get some pics up later this weekend.

Big update... A few weeks back I upgraded my daily from a 2010 Corolla to.... THIS.

2020 Si coupe (FC3). Just crossed over 6k miles. Loads of fun to drive and I'm averaging almost 37 mpg with a half hour stint at ~80mph on the highway every day. It handles great, I'm really surprised actually. My first Honda and I'm glad I got the last year of Si in the 10th gen as they definitely had some kinks to work out in the first couple of years of production.

As always, I am huge on the exhaust and the stock HDMI port on that thing was silent so I've already swapped out to an HKS HiPower. That's it for now.

Once those coilovers get here and seat rail I'll be in a really good place for the S14... but I'm already eyeing a Treadstone intercooler upgrade. TR10 maybe?

float_6969

Love that Si! They did some pretty major suspension design changes on that chassis. It's supposed to handle really well now!

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

float_6969 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:57 am
Love that Si! They did some pretty major suspension design changes on that chassis. It's supposed to handle really well now!
Can confirm! Just got back from a roadtrip to Estes with my wife. It really carved up the mountain roads extremely well. Super comfortable. She gets carsick SUPER easily and she actually slept on the drive, for the first time EVER. We've done some 18+ hr drives to/from Charleston and she was never able to doze off or get comfortable in the corolla.

The thing is DEFINITELY a momentum car. it's rated at 205 hp but there are a few reputable tuners that claim a 68HP/86tq gain over stock with just the tune and nothing else. Phearable link 81/110 gain if I'm willing to stick to either straight 93 octane or E30ish with a flex-fuel upgrade. I'm only 8k miles in but seriously considering it given the fact that I have a 93 octane pump down the road from my house and it's $450. Also, the gains are on their most aggressive map; there are 3 selectable, on-the-fly maps so I could keep it conservative for the day-to-day driving stuff and not roast the clutch on my brand new car. Already saving up for some Konig wheels to drop 11lbs per corner with an extra few mm of width. The stockers weigh in at >50 lbs per wheel/tire combo each corner for 18's. losing 44 lbs of weight and all of that from wheels would make a noticeable difference.

Just ticking down the weeks until that HKS suspension gets here for the S14 and I'll have some more updates. Oh! and the seat bracket for my Sparco driver's seat.

float_6969

I'm AALLL about ethanol fuels. If you can do and flexfuel upgrade and it'll handle E85, you won't regret it from a performance standpoint (the fuel economy will tank, but it also way cheaper than premium and is around 100 octane).

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Bittersweet update;

My Bride Lo-Max MO seat rail showed up. Was finally able to install the Sparco R100 in the S14 aaaand.... it sits higher up than the OEM seat. Looks like I'll be going with a bucket. Was really hoping to avoid this but the sunroof is KILLING me. and the padding on this thing is a bit aggressive. Oh well, I'll use it on my driving sim rig so all's not lost. I think I can convert this seat rail to work with a sidemount seat. Will see. may be some welding involved. It's a great bracket and I don't see how you could get one to go much, if any, lower than it. I blame the seat personally. Bottom mount and miles of foam on the bottom. A bucket with thin foam or maybe even foam removed should do the trick.

OEM

^with it ALLLL the way back. the further forward it slides the higher it gets. I put it where my toes barely touched the pedals and I had to have the steering wheel all the way up, and the seat reclined so far I could barely touch the wheel with my fingertips and was still hitting my forehead on the ceiling. ugh.

Got an update that my coilovers were pushed back another month. I ordered these back in April and knew there'd be a delay but this is insane. I'm going to start calling around and cancel my order and re-order from someone else if they've got them in stock.

float_6969

I'm really glad you decided to test these. I have the same issue with headroom clearance and it seems like the only thing that actually lowers the seat is a sidemount rail and a fixed back seat with very little padding. NOT what I'm interested in. I've looked at mine a lot, and I'm thinking about modifying the stock rails and stock seat, and then having the seat re-upholstered.

I wish I could say I was surprised about the coilovers, but I'm struggling with similar issues at work. I have pool parts that have been on order since March and they still haven't showed up yet. There's not even an ETA. AND they're saying that it will be like this through AT LEAST 2022, maybe even into 2023. I've heard similar stories from just about everyone about all kinds of things.

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Yeah its irritating thats for sure. Hope i saved you some money and frustration being the guinea pig.

I think im going to look into a bucket next. It is what it is. The oem seat frame is toast. Ive seen people swap g35/350 seats in before but im skeptical.

float_6969

I've heard about the G35/350 seats as well, but I've never seen one where someone was over 6 foot tall do it.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Man somehow I haven't checked into this thread in a while.
Where did you get those rotors from and how much were they? I got a similar set (2 piece) for the corvette from Essex/AP Racing and they were 1200 freaking dollars just for the front.
BUT, no more rotor warping.

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:53 am
Man somehow I haven't checked into this thread in a while.
Where did you get those rotors from and how much were they? I got a similar set (2 piece) for the corvette from Essex/AP Racing and they were 1200 freaking dollars just for the front.
BUT, no more rotor warping.
To be fair i havent done much but play with the civic while I'm waiting on parts.

Z1 motorsports has a 350z brembo upgrade for the z32 brakes that relocates the caliper. You lose maybe 4mm of the inner diameter where the pads are smaller than the rotor but I upgraded to their 2 piece rotors while i was at it.

I DO plan to track it but my struts are blown. With the swaybars installed and HKs coilovers on there she'll likely be seeing some track time soon therafter
https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-produc ... -8399.html

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Dude, that's a smoking deal. Wow.

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:31 am
Dude, that's a smoking deal. Wow.
Yeah wasn't a tough call for me. They're wonderful and I've got a solid brake setup that, naca ducting aside, should be all this chassis will ever need.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”