Not Bill Caswell's $500 Craigslist car - my S14 project

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Well, It's been a long time since I last updated. The shop upgrades took tremendously longer than anticipated because my main helper had a ladder accident and really set me back - like months. Then winter was brutal here again - not as cold as last year, but very cold for a very long time - it's a real motivation killer. Once I finally had the shop upgrades done, it was about time for spring.

My poor S14 sat outside for the second winter in a row due to the setback to the shop renovations - there just wasn't room with the ladders and scaffold and materials. My wife's convertible and her dad's convertible were both in there taking up space while my car got snowed on.

Anyway, enough of the unimportant stuff. The winter plans seemed simple enough: get Nistune and add fuel. So I started accumulating parts. Once the dust had settled my stockpile for this round encompassed a lot more than just a daugter board and fuel injectors.

Finally out of the elements:
I never did take a good engine bay picture from the last round, so here's a picture before I got started this spring:

I had managed to acquire both an old Forced Performance (at least that's what I've been told it is) equal length manifold as well as a new Tomei manifold. After spending some time thinking about it, I decided to go with the Tomei for a few reasons. I test fitted both and the FP manifold was too close to the master cylinder, was more difficult to bolt up, and was going to be more useful in the upper RPM. Ultimately, I think it'd be better after a turbo and cam upgrade. The Tomei was better in every way except I suspect it would lose in a side-by-side max power dyno shootout. The S14 is mostly a cruising car with occasional romps when time and money allows.

Of course, unbolting the stock manifold was a bit of an adventure. When I loosened the rear-most nut I said, "Wow, I can't believe this wasn't leaking because this nut is really loose.... Never mind. It just broke..."

Great... At least the rest of them came off without much trouble.

So right off the bat I started wondering how I was going to remedy this situation. I certainly did not want to have to remove the head and take it in, but I also couldn't really take the car somewhere either. I still don't have a welder, but my old buddy Bill had recently purchased one. He let me borrow it and I hooked it up to my portable generator and fired it up. It took me several tries, but I was eventually able to make it work and get it extracted. Turns out, there was something wrong with the gas and I was basically operating a gas shielded mig like a flux core. Nevertheless, I was victorious:

The intake side mostly gave up without a fight. At first, I left the coolant lines hooked up because I didn't want to have to mess with them later, but I eventually decided it would be easier to just get it all right out of the way.

Before continuing, I need to back track a bit. I purchased a used set of Subaru STi side feed fuel injectors towards the end of last year because I knew I needed more fuel. They're supposed to more or less be a drop-in replacement and should flow something around 500cc depending on where you do your research. With bigger injectors, I would need something to control them with. It was finally time to step up to a Nistune ECU. In December I sent my ECU off to Andy at Auto Vaughn Performance and he installed the daughter board and flashed it for feature pack 1. Boy, was I excited to receive that package:

About the time it was returned to me, I sent the Subaru injectors off to Which Hunter Performance to get them cleaned and tested. I'm a big proponent of this procedure when you've got injectors that have been sitting around before tossing them into your engine. It's worth the few extra bucks for the peace of mind. I also sent two sets of S13 SR20 injectors at the same time. I wanted a matched set for my other project and sold the remaining injectors. It turns out, the Subaru injectors flow about 530cc which is a substantial upgrade.

On that, I'm going to take a break. There's a lot more to this series of installments, but the Subaru injectors weren't as easy as I expected. So I'm going to put together a bit of a how-to if one doesn't all ready exist. Expect more frequent updates in the near future as I bring this thread back up to speed again.

As always, thanks for following along.

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Wow, Dexter... Great job with all those updates...

What a jerk!

Whatever, you don't even care. I mean, look at all the people asking for updates.

[crickets]

In my defense, I started another project while I was finishing up my car. I was supposed to do a drop-in SR20DET swap on my father-in-law's pristine S13 convertible. Well that quickly spiraled out of control. You can check it out hereif you'd like to see it. Then just after I finished my car, I started thrashing on a stupid Volkswagen. Long story short on the VW, Bill bought an MKII rally car that needed some upgrades that turned into a lot of work that involved me not getting a lot of sleep for weeks on end while we tried to get it done in time for a rally race. We made it, the car totally sucked, we finished, and Bill was discouraged. It's floating around on the net somewhere. You can also find some pictures and stuff on Facebook by searching for TCERally.

Enough with the excuses, here's the rest of the story...

I installed the lower half of the intake manifold on top of one of those plastic "thermal gaskets" because I had some heat issues the previous year at the drag strip. I heard decent reports on these things, so I gave it a try. Then I dropped fresh insulators in before installing the fuel rail and injectors.

Before I got much further, I test fitted one of the pig-tails to make sure they would connect. They didn't. So that led to modifying all the connectors. I put a how-to together for that project as I didn't see a lot of good information available. If your curious or want more details on that steep of the build, you can find the thread here. Once I finished fitting the connectors, I ended up rebuilding the injector harness as well. It turned out all right, but I'm not super happy with it. It got the job done.

If you have a keen eye, you may have noticed the blue, anodized fitting at the end of the rail where the original fuel regulator used to be. The factory regulator was suspected to be failing due to some of the inconsistent fueling issues I was having the previous year. The 255lph Walbro in the tank probably wasn't doing that tired regulator any favors either. I purchased a Tomei AFPR and installed it with a new fuel filter and all new lines in from the supply to the return. I did not snap any pictures of that part, but you may be able to catch a glimpse of it in a later picture.

I then switched my attention to the exhaust side. I started by wrapping the Tomei header. That was a terrible experience. I was covered in fiberglass fibers - inside my shirt, inside my gloves, inside my eyelids, and inside my nose and throat. I'll never do that again. I'll just send it to Swain Tech. I guess if you wet the wrap, you'll have a lot less airborne fibers. It turned out really well, but it wasn't worth the trouble. I also wrapped the Tomei turbine outlet after I plugged the o2 bung hole.

After bolting the turbo to the manifold, I hung them on the head to start fitting the coolant and oil lines.

Then I pulled everything out, adjusted the lines a bit, and then I put the assembly back in again. Then I pulled it out, adjusted the lines a bit, and then I put it back in again. This process repeated a few more times before I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and ordered a new set of braided lines.

Another one of the pieces that I suspected was causing some issues was the Greddy BOV I had. I felt like I was always tinkering with it. It was one of the pieces originally on the S14 when I bought it, and I had installed guts from a knock-off to limp it along for a while longer. I purchased a second-hand Tial Q from a buddy after he grenaded his SR again. I don't recall what prompted me to take it apart, but it was full of some nasty, fuel-enriched blow-by.

If you recall, I had a Vibrant modular blow-off valve flange welded onto my intercooler pipe when I installed my high-mount intercooler. Vibrant makes a modular flanges to fit an array of BOVs. I wasn't sure if the Tial flange was going to be the same threaded diameter, so I ordered another kit with the nipple and flange. It turns out that they're all the same so swapping flanges is as easy as unscrewing the old flange and screwing on the new one.

I was hoping this new setup would fit. It just barely cleared the fuse box and the hood without any adjustments. I did order and install a new diaphragm assembly before I put everything back together.

Another benefit to running Nistune is the ability to run a larger MAF. Besides running out of fuel, I had also been maxing out the SR MAF when I was pushing 15psi. I have collected a few J30/Z32 MAFs over the years with my frequent trips to you-pull yards. In order to use one of those MAFs, I needed to upgrade the rest of the intake. I ordered a new intake piping kit from Parts Shop Max as well as a Z32 MAF adapter for my Greddy Airinx. As you can see, it was a noticeable upgrade. SR setup on the left and Z32 setup on the right.

From there, I just needed to rewire the MAF. When I purchased a Wiring Specialties SR harness for my father-in-law's car, it came with pigtails for both SR and Z32 MAFs. I stole the Z32 pigtail for my car since his is running a stock MAF.

The very last thing I addressed in this round of upgrades was heat management. I was concerned that upgrading the exhaust manifold would expose everything on that side of the engine bay to way more heat. I ordered some DEI sleeves for the turbo lines and PCV hoses. I also installed a heat shield for the brake master cylinder.

After it was all said and done, I was pretty happy with how everything turned out.

One last touch was a Tomei Duracon shift knob. It was inexpensive and I heard good reviews. I was happy.

The only issue I had at startup was a few minor fuel leaks. I tinkered with fuel pressure regulator a bit to set it. Then I plugged in my laptop and changed the injector sizes and MAF in Nistune. Everything was running good so I set it to "HI" (15psi) and it ripped. My AFRs actually richened under boost (like it should) and didn't sputter as the RPMs got higher. I turned it up to 18psi and it just ripped. I know now that the turbo is my bottle neck.

I took the car on a cruise in July with a couple buddies. We went to West Virginia and drove around on some mountain roads for a few days. It was a good time.

Here are a few more shots of my car from last year that I had posted on my Instagram.

On that cruise, my Innovate wideband was acting up again. I put a brand new sensor in it when I did all the upgrades, so it wasn't that old. I was so angry I almost ripped the gauge out of my dash with my bare hands. Before I even got home, I ordered a new wideband setup from Zeitronix. I didn't get a chance to install it until mid-October. It has been working great and is better than the Innovate in every way - easier to install, fewer wires, easier to use, and most importantly - it actually works.

So that brings you up to speed again. I've got some pretty big plans for the car this year. Thanks for following along. You can always follow me on Facebook (dexter.clark.5) or Instagram (dexters_auotlab) if you're interested in actually keeping up.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

That's strange. I've never had a problem with my innovate widebands.

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Mine had been problematic ever since my return trip from Arizona in spring 2014. I threw hundreds of dollars worth of sensors at that thing and was constantly fiddling with it. I went back amd forth with customer service and they were always condescending and not particularly helpful. I know they work flawlessly for years for some people, but I never got two months of reliable service from it. I was sick of it.

On a side, it will match my next gauge purchase a lot better too.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”