Noise lowered altima makes over some bumps (video)

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Billy305
Car: 09 altima 2.5

Hello all. I have a lowered 09 2.5s sedan. It's lowered on eibach prokits and on 18 inch g35 7 spoke coupe wheels. I installed the springs myself on my stock shocks. I currently have 55k miles.

When I go over small bumps, especially where the road level drops down a little such as uneven roads in a construction area, my car makes a weird noise I don't think is normal. It's hard to describe the noise so I used a video. As soon as the tires go down the bumps there's a hollow sounding noise coming from the front end. In the video you hear it as I'm coming up to the light and then as soon as I finish making the right turn and go down the other bump. The other small rattling between is just something in my back seat. It almost sounds like if you took a sheet of thin metal and "waved" it for a second

Any idea what this is or is this normal. Will someone with experience or a similar set up please chime in. Thanks!

http://youtu.be/7BSjMM2qjX8

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Hi Billy -

That's a tough one to diagnose. Keep in mind that stock shocks will NOT play nice with lowering springs, and can be blown out prematurely. The shocks are designed to work (in and out) within a certain ride height range. If you move that range, the shock may be compressed too far and can fail.

That noise is definitely concerning... yuck. Not normal. Good job capturing (and describing) it!

Let's go through and triple-check ALL your hardware - make sure everything is torqued properly, and that the springs are well-seated in their perches.

Billy305

It doesn't feel like the shocks are blown in general but I could be wrong. I was hoping that when I replace them that it would fix the problem. I've noticed there is a lack of after market shocks that aren't oem Replacements and the only ones that are a little stiffer are the kyb gr2. What kind of shocks would work a little better with these springs.

Billy305

I took off the wheel and poked around. Nothing seems to be off.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”