Nissan Versa suddenly won't start

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
paulsiu
Car: 2014 Nissan Versa SV

Recently, Nissan Versa 2014 SV failed to start.
* When the key is turned, the checked engine light goes on along with power steering malfunction. I did not get a key symbol which would indicate that the key has stopped working.
* The key turned all the way around and when starting, there is no clicking sound.
* The car did not start when i put it into Neutral and starting the car.
* When the windshield wiper is turned on, it ran at normal speed and the battery was later tested to be ok. The battery is less than 1 year old.

What do you think is the issue? The starter? Wouldn't there be a clickng sound?

paul

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Not if the battery is 100% dead, or not connecting power to starter at all. Has to have some small amount of power to click.

The key is absolutely not supposed to 'turn all the way around'.

paulsiu
Car: 2014 Nissan Versa SV

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. What I meant about key turning all the way around means it could be turned all of the way to the correct starting position. If the steering lock had been active, it would have prevented the key from getting past a certain point.

The battery cannot be 100% dead. In the post, I mentioned the wiper was turned on and it moved at normal speed and that the battery tested normal.

In the past, when there was a starter motor or alternator issue, there was a clicking sound. In this case, there is no sound at all (other the electronics). Could it be a fuse? If it was a fuse shouldn't other electric system not work like the lights or wiper? Could it be the start the solenoid?

Paul

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Well, I obviously didn't read and forgive me.

Can be starter solenoid itself or fuse, there is not one fuse only that covers all things. Lights and wiper are on other fuses.

macgiver

Yeah , also by your first sentence - who might have tried to steal the car with a VERY BIG screwdriver , maybe?
:tisk: You know ,they prolly messed up some ignition "stuff" too ? ?

Seguro Offroad
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa 1.8L Hatchback

So I suddenly started having a starting issue. It started off, not too bad, but then got real bad. The issue was sporadic and I initially believed it to be starter, related. The car did not throw any service codes and occasionally I would hear the starter engage and cut out. At the end of the day, it turned out to be the Clutch Safety switch. If you want to see the symptom, watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQg7dGJSF80

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”